wanted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORVIL

Hello - finally here- have been looking for ratrods for years. i build cars but it,s the Rat i want. i am around the SW Onatrio area. i hope there is someone around here. the big question for the day is - if i want a spring set up front and back how do i do it. i have a set and want 1 up front and 1 in back. they must go side to side. what knid of axle set up do i need for the back and can i make it myself and 1 for the front alsoi know on the fram in the center i put a weldes block and bolt the center of the pring there but what about the eyes ? they have to hold onto something. ---Thanks all-:D

Welcome to the site.
It pretty much takes a special spring, that is the same length from the center to the eye on both ends. The axle will need a way fasten with a shackle. That is the front.
The back takes a heavily arched spring to go over the rear differential.
hotrod9.jpg

where abouts in 519? would be nice to have someone close then ya have someone to talk and share the dream. someimes its hard to motivate yourself. :)

Bonehead i see on the front is a pipe front end. how does one make one for themselves? having trouble finding them or even an I-beam.. ideas are always nice - thanks:)

Bonehead i see on the front is a pipe front end. how does one make one for themselves? having trouble finding them or even an I-beam.. ideas are always nice - thanks:)

What kind of fab skills do you have?, and what kind of tools? The first two questions when you start building your own front axle.

The point is, if you put a piece of junk up there you will endanger your life, and the lives of everyone on the opposite side of that double yellow line.

To answer your question, start with a junk yard axle so you can use the ends. I think it is a 2 wheel drive jeep cherokee, or a two wheel drive mail jeep. Some have drum brakes but the newer stuff has disc. At any rate a factory tubular, (not pipe), front axle, that you can re-size to fit your build. (Don't use pipe, use DOM at least.)

Latest posts

Back