Waxing satin paint?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrocarbon Rocket

I just painted my ton truck with John Deere Blitz Black. It looks great but, after rains it sure shows lots of spots. If I touch it with my hands it leaves obvious prints. Can this stuff be waxed without making to much shine? Also, I let some original armorall get on some spots and it made it look awsome without too much shine. If I armorall the whole thing, will it soak through the paint and make it turn loose?

Mequires Tech 2000 wax is what I use on my SEM Hot Rod Black. Put it on and immediately wipe it back off, just makes it look like the day you sprayed it, but not shiney and protects very well.

Don

I haven't owned one but Harley has the new flat paints and says "Do Not Wax" don't know what will happen[S or if they have the same issues or not as you do.

I had a 85 FXR that I painted primer gray with an epoxy primer and had no issues like you do but did have a hell of a time painting over it a year later :mad:

I use this wax that look alot like soap clear , and thin workd great i love it!
I try and see if i can get the full name of it and post it for you

I spoke with a paint man and he said my spots are coming from not usin hardner. He say's every time a spot is left, it either dries or, don't dry as much as the paint around it. Kinda makes sense to me.

I didn't do that good a job and it was very cold when I done it. I suppose I will get some hardner and re-do it in the spring.

The hardener will definitely help but I have to admit that satin paint isn't as tough or forgiving as shiny paint. I had to learn to work with mine, and still have to be careful how I treat it.

The Tech wax I mentioned as been a GREAT help, not only in keeping it clean but protecting it. My gas filler is on the deck lid and it is very hard to keep a drop of gas from dripping on it when refueling, even if I put a paper towel over the end of the nozzle. Just last week when I was refueling I got more than a drop on it so I immediately put water on it and wiped it off. When I got back to the shop I used a microfiber cloth and some Mother's detailer and it all came clean. Before using the Tech wax the stain would have been there for a while till it faded out.

Don

Actually the correct answer to the question is RAT WAX

Specially Formulated for Rods & Kustoms with Flat, Matte, & Satin Paint Finishes.

WHAT IS IT?
Rat Wax™ No Shine Car Soap and Rat Wax™ No Shine Detailer are the first products of their kind. They are designed specifically for rod & kustom cars with flat, matte, and satin paint. Rat Wax™ No Shine cleans and protects in one easy step. While the product name implies that it’s a “wax”, it really isn’t! After all, you can’t “wax” these types of finishes. Rat Wax™ No Shine removes dirt, dust, water spots, grease, tar, fingerprints, grime, oil, fuel, & bird droppings from your car's unique finish. Rat Wax™ No Shine also leaves a clean natural look and an invisible layer of UV protection against the fade of the sun, rain, and other harsh elements.

WHY YOU NEED IT!
Flat, matte, and satin paints normally have a very thin and porous coating, so you need to be extremely careful in what you use on them. Most waxes, detailers, and soaps, have either a petroleum base or gloss enhancers that contain high pH levels, which will damage these types of finishes, by changing its original sheen to a shine. That’s not something you want, since it can’t be undone. BE SAFE! Only use Rat Wax™ No Shine products to wash and clean your rod or kustom.

For more info visit: http://ratwax.net

It's both :D

But seriously Don, I saw you posted a response in the "LINKS SECTION" that some how got removed, but I thought I would try to respond to it.

You wrote:
"There is one error in your ad...........it says you can't wax satin finish. I do it all the time. I use Mequiars Tech 2.0 wax and all it does is make my finish look fresh, not shiny. It also protects it from things like gasoline drips when fueling up."

Here is my response:
Hi Don, thanks for the response. Actually you can't wax a satin finish. If your using a "true" flat, matte, or satin finish, you would destroy it by using any product that contains "shine enhancers" or fillers which Meguiars Tech 2.0 has, because these finishes normally have a very thin and porous coating.

I believe in your case. The satin you have on your car must have a clear coat or urethane over it, which would then allow you to use the Meguiars without any damage. However, then the question becomes why would you paint it satin, if you using a shine enhancing product?

This is the reason why we created Rat Wax- No Shine products.

Your ad was probably removed because at the time you didn't have 25 posts. Seems like you have been pushing you product since you first started posting.

Your ad was probably removed because at the time you didn't have 25 posts. Seems like you have been pushing you product since you first started posting.

This thread is about WAXING SATIN PAINT. Why do you even need to say anything negative? And really if I have a product that helps those of us in the RAT ROD COMMUNITY, who have these types of paints or finishes, wouldn't you think they would want to know about it? Geez!

P.S. And since you seem to be counting, 23 out of 25 previous post by me had nothing to do with my product.

attude

This thread is about WAXING SATIN PAINT. Why do you even need to say anything negative? And really if I have a product that helps those of us in the RAT ROD COMMUNITY, who have these types of paints or finishes, wouldn't you think they would want to know about it? Geez!

P.S. And since you seem to be counting, 23 out of 25 previous post by me had nothing to do with my product.

mellow out youngin,. we just guiding you along so you can enjoy the site.

don't take personal, took me a while to get the hang of it around here, too;)

Later :cool:

No, I removed my own post because I didn't want to seem like I was putting a negative spin on your product, plus, I pulled up the rest of your posts and you have been VERY helpful with information to others.

I think some of us just felt your thread regarding your own product was a little self serving, at least I felt that way. I was also just trying to correct one part of your ad where you say satin can't be waxed, and I know from experience it can, with the correct products. I am using SEM Hot Rod Black, no clearcoat, and the Tech 2.0 hasn't hurt the finish in the 3 years I have been using it. In fact, it looks better all the time.

But I don't want to stir up any crap, so I just wiped out that post of mine.

Don

I was also just trying to correct one part of your ad where you say satin can't be waxed, and I know from experience it can, with the correct products. I am using SEM Hot Rod Black, no clearcoat, and the Tech 2.0 hasn't hurt the finish in the 3 years I have been using it. In fact, it looks better all the time.

But I don't want to stir up any crap, so I just wiped out that post of mine.

Don

No problem Don, that's what these boards are for to discuss. Which is why I am responding.

Your SEM Hot Rod paint is a "fluoro-polymer topcoat" which means a "urethane". It's a single stage mix of paint and poly. That is why you can wax it, as you say, and have no issues.

This is not a Ol Skool "true" satin, as I already stated in previous post. Ol Skool "satins" CAN NOT be waxed

If you like using Tech 2.0 knock yourself out. Most who have "RATS" have an Ol Skool satins or flats finish (cheap$$) should not use it, as I mentioned before.

One of the main reasons why I decided to come out with this product is I'm a Rat Rodder. I was tired of waterspots, needed protection from fading from the sun, and if something was to be put on my car, I did not want the shine. I wanted a clean natural flat look. With those goals in mind I made the product. Hope that explains it.

Last edited:
Wow been a while since I started this thread. My paint finnally dried and it looks better every day. I'm still very sold on the John Deere Blitz Black.

Rat Wax, if you want to promote your product, how about giving some of it away to some of the members here on RRR. I will give it a try if I ever see any on the shelf. I really hate ordering on line. I'm glad you made your product and hope you have success with it.

How well will the rat wax work on surface rust?

Latest posts

Back