What do I need to look for when buying a body?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howiess2000

Hey,

This will be my first project, I'm in the process of visiting swap meets to look for bodies.(I'm looking to get a Model A) This is my first project, so I'd like to make it as easy as possible, and not have to fabricate essential items.

so what do you look for when buying a body? :confused:

Thanx in advance.

BTW, sorry if this question ends up being too vague.

Buy the very best body you can afford right from the beginning. It will cost you a little more initially, but the time and money you save overall will be worth it. Nice thing about Model A's is that you can literally buy every panel and piece brand new. Biggest area to go first are the lower sections of the body and doors, so look at those carefully.

Even if you have to save up to find a really nice one it will be worth it. These A bodies are starting to get expensive as the demand grows, so expect to pay a couple/few thousand for a real nice one. They are out there, you just have to pass up some to get to the right one. We found a mint tudor in Pennsacola Florida and drove 10 hours each way to get it, but it was well worth the trip and money.

Don

Not to disagree with donsrods, but you can no longer buy every panel brand new. I've been searching for months for the roof section above the rear side windows of my '29 Tudor, which is rusted out, no dice. There was a guy in Denmark that was hand-making those roof sections forever but he retired this winter for health reasons.

You can probably still get the roof sections above the front doors, but the ones I got have a sticker "made in Denmark" which tells me they were made by the same guy. Talked to a guy at Mac's and he said he knows of no one else planning to make those rear roof sections again. He had sold the last of his supply just a couple weeks before! :(:(:(

Latest posts

Back