What do you do for a living?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok....this will take some time...LOL

Been working since I was 13.... Learned auto tech at a local Cab and bus company....at 16 started in my first Service Station job..more repair than pumping gas....out of high school went to Auto tech school and worked midnights at a tool and die shop...used my head porting skills to finish injection dies...12 months later, joined the Army....At 22 opened my Shell Service Station...at 27 went to work in Chevy Olds Pontiac Dealership..at 33 went up on the service desk as manager...at 35 attended a Reserve Police academy and got the bug...at 36 took a Production Supervisor position as a Metal Stamping shop...hated it...went back to turning wrenches then back up to the service manager at 38...took a 90 day leave of absense at 39 and attended the Police Academy....worked part time as a cop and full time as a Service director until I was 42....took a full time cop job and have been here ever since.....problem is we are 25 and out...so technically I'd have to work until 67.....feel great now and in decent physical condition but you just never know...so..there you have it..my life in a nutshell...best job?? Law Enforcement....still wondering what I want to do when I grow up...LOL:D

Hi Everyone...
I am in the 14th year of a hopefully 20 year stint at the local upstate NY Dept. of Public Works. I also work part time at Home Depot too. I sit at the desk in a cubical most of the time. God willing I will make to the 20 year mark and then I sell most of my rusty junk and head out to the mid west (North East Kansas area) to hang out with my son and his family. (So if anybody is looking for a project I might sell some of my rust).

MikeC

Hi Everyone...
I am in the 14th year of a hopefully 20 year stint at the local upstate NY Dept. of Public Works. I also work part time at Home Depot too. I sit at the desk in a cubical most of the time. God willing I will make to the 20 year mark and then I sell most of my rusty junk and head out to the mid west (North East Kansas area) to hang out with my son and his family. (So if anybody is looking for a project I might sell some of my rust).

MikeC

Look for a massage in your inbox 6 years from now. Im sure ill want something by then :D

I am a fire sprinkler fitter/inspector.

Attachments

• fire sprinklers 2010 001.jpg
    fire sprinklers 2010 001.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 30
  • hatchet 008.jpg
    hatchet 008.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 25
When I see work like that I see it as art! Beautiful![cl

Thank you dmw, I appreciate it. My co-worker and I built and/or installed everything in both pictures. The picture on the right is a 4 cylinder turbo diesel fire pump with associated piping. Fitting everything in that tiny room was definitely a challenge. [S

Been pretty luckey and have mostly jobs I really enjoy and have worked with some great people. Worked at a prototype/clay modeling shop in high school, then trade school, then some body shop and mechanics jobs. Went to work for Connie Kalitta from 1988-97. Moved to Arizona and built race engines for a few years. Worked at the Bob Bondurant driving school seven years. Had a short stint in Raliegh NC building sreet/race cars. Went back to Az and got hooked up with my current gig taking care of a private car and motorcycle collection. Its a great job and I get to do a lot of fabricating and drive some awesome cars but I wasnt too happy when the boss decided to move the entire operation to northern Michigan. Gotta get back to Az someday.

Wish you had done our's in this building.....!!

Thank you dmw, I appreciate it. My co-worker and I built and/or installed everything in both pictures. The picture on the right is a 4 cylinder turbo diesel fire pump with associated piping. Fitting everything in that tiny room was definitely a challenge. [S

We've had so much plumbing and heating issues in this building...not to mention the HVAC stuff.....expansion tanks in upside down or backward, valves backwards, fittings leaking all over....built in 1995...looks beautiful but wow the stuff that was done wrong and not inspected properly...your work is outstanding....almost is an Art in and of itself....[cl

Fleet service mechanic for Verizon Communication,responsible for about 125 trucks and vans.Pyrotechnician since 1983,get paid to blow stuff up[cl

Retired from the big green tractor factory in '02. Worked off and on since doing different things. Currently working at a place that sells steel and machine tools. Wish I had room for a Bridgeport mill because I could have gotten a good deal on one of the older used ones we have. It's still expensive, but I get an employee's discount on new steel for my projects.

Blue

Latest posts

Back