What do you do for a living?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rusted decrepit old chicken rancher! Just ordered 15 Gold Laced Wyandottes chicks that will be here Feb 15th. They're great brown egg layers & great table birds too! Here's pictures of the rooster & hens when grown.

BoB

Attachments

• dotterooster.jpg
    dotterooster.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 6
  • goldlaceddottes.jpg
    goldlaceddottes.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 6
Rusted decrepit old chicken rancher! Just ordered 15 Gold Laced Wyandottes chicks that will be here Feb 15th. They're great brown egg layers & great table birds too! Here's pictures of the rooster & hens when grown.

BoB

Green Acres!![cl

Gotta be old enough to remember the TV show!

This is very interesting. This is such a varied group....

I am an assistant professor at a small offshoot of a large Texas University. Mostly, I teach computer science classes, programming in Java and Visual Basic along with the odd software engineering class.

Before this I spent 18 happy years at IBM where I was a mechanical engineer, then an electrical engineer, and finally a software engineer.

I left IBM to go work for Sony-Ericsson. After five years I was happy when the layoffs came.

I went on to teach at a small college in western NY (which is the coldest, most dismal, god forsaken, place on the planet, no offense to anyone still stuck there..). We parted ways on less than happy terms.

But now I am warm and happy in Texas. With any luck, next year I will get tenure and will drop back to a normal 40 hr work week. When I was a grad student, I thought Grad Students were abused, over worked and under appreciated. Now that I am an Assistant professor, I have found that I am being worked like a rented mule and paid poorly. The difference is I now get certificates of appreciation to frame and hang on my office wall. I'd prefer money, but what are you going to do?

Still, I like this job and would not give it up. As one of my friends said, it sure beats working for a living.

Timothy

I went to Penn State for mechanical engineering. Did that for about 12 years working mostly with material handling stuff (conveyor systems, racking systems, storage systems), but also worked in the engineering department of a fire truck manufacture for a short time.

Got tired of driving a desk, and started my own sign business. Actually had my work on cars that competed in the Indy 500 and was seen on TV during races at Pocono Raceway. It was fun, but had a partner that had a different view on the way things should be.

Was looking to get back into the engineering field, but took a temporary job rebuilding photo processing equipment to pay some bills. Almost 15 years later I had installed and serviced photo equipment all over the country including Hawaii and several places in the Caribbean, but got laid off because of the advancements in digital imaging.

For the last 9 years I've been working as a machinist. About 90% of what we make goes into the human body (spinal plates, bone screws, eye drains...lots of fun stuff). I primarily work with EDM equipment, but have spent time in the milling department and screw machine (lathe) department. They're not afraid to ask me to help out in just about any area that they may need help, but again, primarily I work with EDM equipment

Made a career change about 14 years ago and became a millwright. Worked for a couple of millwrighting companies travelling to various industrial sites. Enjoyed working in the metal fab shop at the last place I was at...get your blueprint and go make it. Would have stayed if the owners hadn't been such a**hats, their daddy set them up in business. They went out of business a few years ago.
Last 6 1/2 years I've been at an animal feed production plant. It's slowed down some with the economy, dropped a shift but it's ok with me. The 24hr on call was really wearing and I ain't getting any younger, that and the witching hour for the equipment always seemed to be around 2AM.

I have been self employed uphlostering home furniture since 1991. Did a few cars, never enjoyed them. I still do my own.

i wear many hats, machinist, welder, fabricator, ironworker local #92, electrician, rotary blast drill mechanic, hydraulics mechanic pumps/motors/valves and cylinders, now i got a desk in a air conditioned office pushing parts. i never back down from a job, my grand father always told me, someone has already done it once, you can do it again.

I always worked hard, not smart

I went into Drywall hanging right out of highschool, spent 12 year doing that and every backbreaking low paying side work I could find. After that got a job as a foreman for a commercial drywall company, worked my way up to Estimator/Project Manager. That lasted 13 year. The last 2 years has been job hunting and filling the time with welding/fab work and the occasional car builds for OPP and a couple home remodels.

Lets see...

Worked at a pizza joint when I was 16 cooking, cashier, deliveries, bar tending(not exactly legal at that age), and eventually assistant manager.

Quit that to work on a turkey ranch.

Quit that to go work for the City of Turlock in CA, where I am from, as a Maintenance worker 1. So I did gardening, lawn care, and janitorial.

Quit that to join the Marines where I became a diesel technician. Became very good at my job and was put in charge of my units preventative maintenance and repairs. I really liked the big trucks. Was "forced out" due to medical issues that stopped me from being able to re-enlist and moved back to CA from NC to live with my mom, ugh.

Worked at a VW restoration and hot rod shop for a friend for a few months until I was completely EAS'd and could start school.

Went to UTI for 9 months but found out I don't do well in school anymore plus it's too expensive. So I dropped out after getting a really really good job in Havre, MT.(What was I thinking?)

So now, I am a welder, a mechanic, and a machinist for BNSF Railway. Turns out, locomotives have really big engines and when things break, they really break. Been here for 2 years almost and really love my job. Ask me in 10 years and ill see if I still do.

Owner/Lead Carpenter LHR Const. specializing in custom trim and remodeling.

Attachments

• sawww.jpg
    sawww.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3
been in and out of the construction business since I was a kid (just turned 62). Been a licensed electrician since '75. Just scored a job with FreddieMac as a "building engineer". Fancy name for a maintenance man. Consider myself semi-retired. Even though I work 40 hours a week.

I started working at 16 for a car lot washing cars then into detailing, detailing at the body shop of same dealership, body prep and then painting, did paint work at a couple different body shops and then got back to detailing for quite a few years up until 5 or so years ago. Now Im a janitor at a school and love it as weird as that sounds. Hoping to stay at this when we move but always could get back into detailing. I loved doing that too.

Worked at a feed store in high school.Got a job at a plastics warehouse driving a forklift,moved into the industeral maintenance side of things,did that for 5 yrs. Got tired of the hussle bussle moved back to Okla from H town went into maint and trans for an Elementry school,did that for twenty years.Had been buying rental property and went to HVAC school in the process. So about 4 yrs ago started my own appliance and refrigeration repair
business and have 13 rent houses.

I did five in the Navy (Engineman) right after high school. Then mostly tractor and auto repair for a few years. Opened my own shop in a small east Texas town and went broke from not getting paid "on the third". Got into the chemical/petroleum plant work as a boilermaker, in the mid 80's. Been doing that since. I traveled around the country for a few years until I had a kid and he wouldn't know who I was when I got home after being gone a couple of months. Been staying local since. It's getting real hard to compete against 25 year olds, for a job. I never could and still can't "kiss butt". I know my craft very well and that intimidates most of the bosses that don't. So, I've got to make four more years some place(s) and take early SS and hope for the best.

My job is simple....make everyone happy, the customers, my employes, my boss, his boss, his boss's and his boss.

Work is just one big basket of rainbows!!!

So why do I feel so old, why is my hair falling out and why do my feet stink?
[S

Grandpa always said a $hit job's pay check beats no paycheck every time.
;)

Latest posts

Back