What drives you to build a ratty?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHY

Why not....... it makes people crazy. People dont like it and i dont really care. So its my way, the way i want to make it rat rod or what ever you want to call it. And it gets me outside in the garage.

52 fordman

RUST NEVER SLEEPS![;)

:rolleyes:Lets see.....when I built this one I spent lots of money and had to repaint parts of it because of road rash, and it just got to be to darn much work keeping everything clean and "pretty" and I swore I'd never do it again

48frt.jpg

So when I sold that one...what did I do? Dove head first into making another one pretty from the ground up (I'm a slow learner)

Stude_rear.jpg

Stude_fram1.jpg

THEN.....The divorce started! I sold lots of stuff including the Studebaker in the pics above, BUT she wasn't going to keep me from having some kind of "fun car" So her brother and I threw together this 39 Plymouth over an S-10 frame in just over 3 months and very little money(it was as much mental health as anything to escape the BS of the divorce), but when it was done it drove and rode so good...AND I didn't have to worry about it getting scratched, I was hooked on the "style". Original paint, and the most that was done was to spray some of the surface rust with rattle can satin black. Got washed when it rained, or occassionally when I felt like it...otherwise I just drove it and didn't worry about what it looked like

ply4copy.jpg

ply3copy.jpg

I'm not sure unfinished cars were called rats back in the early to mid 90's when I did the Plymouth, but the more down and dirty cars I saw the more I appreciated the fact that the owners were driving and enjoying their cars....Like it should be!!!

The maiden run on my 59 pick up was to the Car Craft Americruise stop in Bloomsburg, PA. I pulled in and parked next to some friends that were already there, and on the other side were 2 guys with there big dollar shiney cars...I don't think I was there more then about 30 minutes before they had to "find another place to park"...I think it was because people were walking past the shiney to look at the ugley :rolleyes:

img39.jpg

Anyone catch the article on Rat Rods in the November 2010 issue of Hot Rod mag ?? Good write-up. Here's a couple of quotes that stood out to me.
" If there were 100 hot rodders in a room,you would get 100 definitions of a rat rod; and that's good. " -Brian Brennan " Some people hate the term rat rod; others misuse or overuse it. But noboddy has come up with a better name . So I think maybe rat rodders need to embrace the title the way hot rodders did in 1948 to make it a positive name." - Pat Ganahl If you get a chance, check it out.

We just like to see em all smile and have a good time looking at the hillbilly surf rat. The smiles and laughs from little to old,men to women,drives us to keep on truckin.:D:)

Let my first post be here...
Rat Rods... I like the function first theory... always have... truthfully I'm a avid offroader JEEP guy from birth... there's always been one in some form in the drive... even named my son after one... you might say I'm a Dirtbilly... My son is liking the idea of his first car being a Rat Rod or Rat JEEP ? I'm looking for a project for him to be involved in so this could be it...

I too like the Rat Rods for all the above mentioned reasons... the raunch, the primer/rust... all things American automotive(mostly)... scrapping together a functional (& safe ride) loud & proud...
I'm sure it's been mentioned in MANY threads, but if I may take the liberty of asking...
What's considered (if there is) a cut off on "Rat Rod" years ?? I've seen new rigs slammed, primmed & running steel wheels, but is there a year that's kinda considered a cutoff 70s, 80s or newer OK ??
Or is it a F! the rules & years and build a lowered primered functional ride ??

Sorry for the length & side tracking the thread...

Thanks !! I look foward to seeing all that the site has to offer...

Curt

Hey Curt - welcome to RRR! Post a proper intro in the Intro section so all can say hi. As for years - there ain't no stinkin' rules! As some have said, 'I may not be able to define a rat, but I know one when I see it.'

I do it to be me! In my profession people are way to caught up in how I should be or act. It is my escape my out. It’s the side of us we have to kept hidden rough, hard, fast, they say take a look but stay away I bite.

See you had the answer all along. :D

Curt

THAT'S ! SCARY !! me an answer HA !
Thanks for the thoughts... I just wasn't sure if someone tried to Rat out a HHR or a PT Cruiser (NO ! not what I'm thinking...) would they be run out of town or ?? WORSE !...

Sorry for the Hi-Jack... back to the reason to build...

Another reason is I like to TRY to maintain my rigs & some of the newer stuff just requires one to be more of a tech. then a mech. I'm sure most here grew up learning the basics & carrying a bag of basic tool which could fix 75% of the problems encountered... along with another bag that had old, but "usable" parts to get you home.
So I'm adding simplicity to my list.

Thanks again...

Curt

Well, flat black and red wheels doesn't make it a rat - 63 F100 or 08 PT Cruiser. There have been a few BMW's pass through here lately that look rat enough for me. But the newer the car the harder it's gonna be to fit the bill.

Why build a rat? Max amount of fun for least amount of money (and sanding).

Latest posts

Back