What Wheels For My '30 Coupe?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Classic_Crime_Inc

I'm starting to buy parts for my project..and I'm deciding what kind of wheels to buy...I know I want the fronts to be smaller than the rears..I dont really want to do steelies..I was thinking maybe old wire wheels, what size would you suggest I've found 17'', 19'' and 21'' and also anyone ever just tractor rims?

I'm starting to buy parts for my project..and I'm deciding what kind of wheels to buy...I know I want the fronts to be smaller than the rears..I dont really want to do steelies..I was thinking maybe old wire wheels, what size would you suggest I've found 17'', 19'' and 21'' and also anyone ever just tractor rims?

You sort of need to know what rear axle and front brake style ( bolt pattern) your going to use first. The spoke wheels (if Ford) would have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

With that said, I'm not sure if the stock model T / A (19 @ 21") style wire wheels would hold up to a v8 powered rod.

I personally like the 1935 16" wires as far as wire wheels go. You can get a pretty dramatic "rubber rake" just by playing with tire sizes. Something like a 7.50X16 tire in the rear and a 4.50/4.75X16 tire in the front.

Early Ford wheel diameters are as follows:

1928-1929 21" diameter
1930-1931 19" diameter
1932 18" diameter
1933-1934 17" diameter
1935 16" diameter

alright thanks..

so what about the 19's or 21's I have a set of 21's I planned on using but someone above said they might not hold up with a V8..anyone have experience with this or can give any pointers or anything because I was really thinking about using these on the rear

alright thanks..

so what about the 19's or 21's I have a set of 21's I planned on using but someone above said they might not hold up with a V8..anyone have experience with this or can give any pointers or anything because I was really thinking about using these on the rear

21" Model A wheels would be way too flimsy for your application. They are a much weaker design than the later "basket" style wheels. The largest wire I would recommend would be the '32 18" wheel, but they are a little hard to come by. The '33-'34 17" wheels would be ok as well. However the only way to properly use a early Ford wire wheel is with early Ford brakes and drums. Make sure to do a lot of research, because what you think you want and what will actually work and be safe are often very different things. You are bound to make rookie mistakes, but don't let them be costly ones...

Last edited:
thanks for the advice, I think I may stay clear of the wires..I like the idea of using tractor rims though I may look into that...but mostly what I want is Divcos but there so expensive, however I've heard in MI theres a few junkyards that has a lot of em for cheap..I just need to find out where

The same post X 2!!!!

CCI,
Be sure to ck out the Lonestar Round Up pictures I'll be posting shortly. There were tow trucks that used BIG wheels & tires out back u gotta see... KNARLEY!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Tripper, Are you trying to steal my signature????? :mad: :D

-------> "My short term memory isn't as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short term memory isn't as sharp as it used to be."

T1

Being from Michigan, and building rods for the last 20 years I think you'll be hard pressed to find your Divco's cheap. Every yard I've been to you pay top dollar here. Also be prepared for a big price tag on 20" tires as well.

P.S. I work out of the big shop on River Rd. in Bay City with all the old cars around. I seen your post on a thread on Killbillet about our place:)

yeah a guy on killbillet gave me names of a few yards in grand rapids area that have divcos so I guess I'll start there...any idea on a price range from what you've seen? I've seen on ebay $700+ for 18's...

oh yeah I never got to stop in there but wanted too..are those cars for sale or parts or just projects? it looks like a really cool place..I'm working on putting together a rat rod dvd this summer..maybe I can stop by and film you guys doing work or something like a shop feature

Latest posts

Back