what year is this axle?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratterman

I picked this up for 25 dollars but don't know what year it is from. it has the wide 5 wheels on it. from what I've read and saw on the web it's a 37-41 with the round back spindles.

axle1.jpg

P2250248.jpg

P2250249.jpg

1939. Easy to identify because '39 was the last year for wide fives and the first year for hydraulic brakes. The spindles and backing plates will interchange with '40-'48 hubs if you want to run steelies or wires. Depends on what you want to do, but I am a fan of the wide five stuff. If you want to off any of it let me know...

thanks for the help guys.

blue eyed- what parts are you looking for. the guy i got the axle from has a few more i might be able to get.

1939. Easy to identify because '39 was the last year for wide fives and the first year for hydraulic brakes. The spindles and backing plates will interchange with '40-'48 hubs if you want to run steelies or wires. Depends on what you want to do, but I am a fan of the wide five stuff. If you want to off any of it let me know...

Did the cars go juice in '39 as well? I thought it was trucks only in '39 and cars in '40 :confused:

well i have the axle apart and have been thinking of sending it out to have it dropped by the guy on the hamb that does all the drop axles. any thoughts on that idea or should i just buy a new one from superbell

I have sent a few axles to Sid from Nostalgia Sid's in Oklahoma, and he does an excellent job - Some of the nicest dropped axles I have ever seen. An original dropped axle is way cooler than a new repop, and with the way the prices are going on new axles it is near the same price or cheaper to have one dropped! You can check Sid out at www.droppedaxles.com

I have sent a few axles to Sid from Nostalgia Sid's in Oklahoma, and he does an excellent job - Some of the nicest dropped axles I have ever seen. An original dropped axle is way cooler than a new repop, and with the way the prices are going on new axles it is near the same price or cheaper to have one dropped! You can check Sid out at www.droppedaxles.com

I emailed him last night and it's 200 with exchange for one of his axles so i will be going that route. And yeah i agree, a dropped stock axle looks way better in my opinion from the pictures I've seen of both new and old.

I think the 33-36 axles have more room between the wishbone and spindle for dropping.
Wasn't 36 wire wheels? I always thought the wide 5s were 37-39, 3 years. I'm wrong a lot though.

Last edited:
'35 was the last year for wires. '36 was the first year for wide five wheels, but the hubs, spindles and drums from '36 are not the same as '37-'39. Henry was well known for using the last of everything he had before he changed something, so that is why you often see carryover parts being used between years...

Latest posts

Back