What's in your backyard?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I went out for ice cream with my neices husband who stays with me some. He wanted to show me an old Cadillac. Turns out to be a 65 and a 64 Grand Prixs. The one had the big hub 8 bolt wheels intact. Then we went through another lot and there was about a 39-40 international truck. Across the highway at another friends place is a 41 Caddy that was a driver but hasn't been ran in about 5-6 years.
A couple days ago I bumped into a guy I worked on the Katrina clean up with. I ask if they had any old tin at their ranch and he said they had buried it all a few years ago...except a willys car with a tree growing through it. I definately need to check that out.

Well, I live in South Florida where old cars are just not found. If you were to go out on a search for old tin, the best you might do is to find an 87 Olds Cutlass or something like that. I envy you guys.

Most of the old tin around here has all been snatched up but there is also a lot in hideing.I know were there is a '67 GTX in a garage that's about ready too fall on it,the car hasint moved in over 20 yrs i've been told and it looks like it.I also know where there a '63 split window vette under a pile of ply wood that hasint moved since Viet Nam,So the story gose the guys son asked him too keep the car till he came back from the war and well there it sits.

heres my backyard.

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 225
My Back Yard? 36 Ford Pu...... 50 Ford 2 coupe..... 43 Ford 1 1/2 ton pu.....
52 Ford 2 Dr coupe..... 65 Ford mustang....... 46 Ford pu..... 1930 Buick.......
1935 Chevy Sedan......... Model A sedan...1950 Willys pu.... Parts from Model T's.............. cowls from several old 30s cars...and a lot more..... But it is really not what is in the back yard, it is what is in the garage...

You guys in other parts of the Country make me sick. :D I'm like Gastrick, the oldest car you might find laying around here is some '80's four door sedan (oh wait, that is my daily driver........:rolleyes::D) When I lived in Pa we would pack up the kids on many Sundays and go for a ride in the mountains, through small towns and farmland. The whole time my head would be turning around thinking "is that an old grille poking out beside that tree over there?"

Now we have to drive to places like Georgia to get our projects,

Don

Thats weird that theres nothing down there in Florida for you guys. They must have sent it all over to Cuba cause every time I see a pic of Cuba I see a cherry old chevy or somethin drivin down the road. Surprisingly enough, up here in the rust belt, there is enough old tin lying around to keep us all busy for a long long time. You can't go anywhere without passing something you "gotta have"

Thats weird that theres nothing down there in Florida for you guys. They must have sent it all over to Cuba cause every time I see a pic of Cuba I see a cherry old chevy or somethin drivin down the road. Surprisingly enough, up here in the rust belt, there is enough old tin lying around to keep us all busy for a long long time. You can't go anywhere without passing something you "gotta have"

Probably rusted away, that salt air is as bad or worse than salted roads.
The funny thing around here is that most people will tell you there is no old iron left. The place I got the 37 Dodge, 24 Chevy and a 30-31 A coupe was at a ranch auction and I had asked the auctioneer ahead of time if there was any old car stuff and he told me there was a couple T wheels and a couple old hood ornaments. I found all the stuff just nosing around during the auction, all within a couple hundred yards of the house. Then made a deal to buy it all for $50

Last edited:
It still surprises me how much is really still out there, untouched, it just tells me that there are alot of people out there who are like me and can't throw anything away. Projects that never happen, or stuff you might "use" someday. But then again alot of old cars and trucks were still going up and down the road for years and years. Or maybe it was being lazy, scrap steel went high, and the old truck sat there anyway. Or sentimental values of the truck that uncle Bob had, or what ever.
I have a neighbor down the road from me who has stacks of old cars parked out back. He is asked often but wont selll anything. He doesn't need the money and like the old junk. He has a model A still sitting on wood spokes with the black paint still on it. The tires and wheels are down in the dirt. He also has a SuperBee just sittiing there rusting. Along with aboout 100 other cars and trucks, buses, and snow cats.
I am thinking about approaching him with a trade.

Thats weird that theres nothing down there in Florida for you guys. They must have sent it all over to Cuba cause every time I see a pic of Cuba I see a cherry old chevy or somethin drivin down the road.

The Cubans keep sending them back to us, but usually they have barrels strapped to the bottom and a propeller out back. Darned Coast Guard keeps blowing them up though !! :eek::D:D:D

Inventive little rascals, huh?
Don

Attachments

• cuban boat.jpg
    cuban boat.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 66
  • cuban boat 2.jpg
    cuban boat 2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 76
i'm always on the lookout around here but i never see anything rusting away much older then the 60's. Nothing special in my yard right now. just my truck project.

Thats weird that theres nothing down there in Florida for you guys. They must have sent it all over to Cuba cause every time I see a pic of Cuba I see a cherry old chevy or somethin drivin down the road.

The Cubans keep sending them back to us, but usually they have barrels strapped to the bottom and a propeller out back. Darned Coast Guard keeps blowing them up though !! :eek::D:D:D

Inventive little rascals, huh?
Don

Sad thing is the border patrol destroyed both of those cars. That Merc airport limo waould have been a cool score.

Well they are still here.They are also well preserved.But as far as finding cars for 100.00 or on the "cheap" they are not.I just happen to get lucky with the 29 I got.There are still some good ol tin to be found.You just got to keep lookin at the auctions and keep your eye out when driving around.My wife gets so ****ed at me when we go down to the Valley for a kids birthday party or what it be.Because I am scowering all the farms and stopping in to check on what see.She aaways tells me you are going to get into an accident one of these days.I keep tellin her that she is the "Tin Copilot".

Well enough said.There is plenty of metal out there to be had.Its just that we are in a situation that your short arms will need to reach into your Deep pockets.I hope that I havent offened any one but that is just how it is in the Sunny State.I am sure that Gasser can chime in on this.We have it but its not on the cheap anymore.

One of my neighbors has a Model A Sedan sitting in his garage with junk piled over, under and around it. Won't let it go for anything. Lots of old cars hiding in South Central but no one wants to drive through the "Hood" to look. A friend of mine does do it occassionally, but he grew up there. He stands in the back of a pickup while his brother drives through alleys. He looks over fences and finds a lot of old cars.

In the nicer areas, people ask a fortune for junk. Blame it on the Speed channel's Barrett Jackson. As for forgotten 30's tin, forget it. All gone.

Latest posts

Back