whats the best wireing kit to get

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52bombshell

im going to need a whole wireing kit for my 52 effy but unsure whats the best bang for your buck keep in mind its bare essentials

I prefer one's that are already terminated at the fuse box... 1/2 the work is already done. I got a EZ Wiring basic unit for my panel... around $160.

BoB

My ol man got a kit for $149, I think it was a 20 circut kit all labeled and plenty of wire,fuse block,signal flashers.12 circut might be even cheaper.Found the ad in a magazine.Don't know if they have a web site but here's a name and phone number. Gearhead Enterprises 139-232-4870 Hudson Ia. And no its not me even though the name is the same:D.Speedway sells kits fairly reasonable too.

Stay away from that junk that come outta Flordia or Iowa, same outfit that sells those fishy gauges.Junk wire
:confused: Is it worth savin $40 to $100 bucks to see yer car go up in flames????
Been usin REBEL WIRING and their ain't a better harness on the market for the money. Give Glenn a call.
:cool::cool::cool:

now keep in mind im using a 78 trans am for the steering colum as well as an olds 403 so gm coloring again now does this rebel wire are they gm colored??

Used an EZ harness on momma's truck. Have one waiting for the Plymouth. GM color coded & marked every 5' or so.

I'm getting ready to order one from American Autowire tomorrow for my Sons RPU. He has done a bit of research and likes the way it terminates in the fuseblock. We used a Summit kit on my other Son's T and it was marginal. Very bad instructions and hard to figure out. Even though the 3 of us have done a lot of wiring we still had to put our heads together to make it work right.

Don

I bought an Easy Wire kit but haven;t installed it yet. Comes with GM steering column plug, flasher etc and 21 circuits. I think it was on sale direct from them for $120.

All I've heard is stay away from Painless.

Sean

I like to use Ron Francis.It is a little pricey but very good quality and Excellent Tech Support.Comes with Ignition switch,Fan relays already built in,Light switch,Blinker flasher and much more.No guessing and the instructions are straight forward.With a schamatic for future reference.

All wires are marked and they will build you a custom harness for your application if needed.

American Autowire is also a good product.

Dont skimp on that stuff or you may need a good insurance company to put your clam into when she burns to the ground.

Why buy a kit? Why not just wire it yerself??? If you have a wiring diagram, it's not that hard to do. I'm rewiring my '53 Buick myself and not using a kit. I need to replace some of the sockets and stuff, and use new wire, but that's it. Wire I can get for cheap at the surplus center; the sockets I get from my classic Buick parts catalogs, and the little bulbs I for the dash and taillights and stuff I can also find at the surplus center or the local truck stop. Just be creative! Oh...and I'm also using the original-style glass fueses, not those new crap blade-style fuses.

Why buy a kit? Why not just wire it yerself??? If you have a wiring diagram, it's not that hard to do.

I've never used a kit on my own cars because I like wiring (find it much more pleasureful than grinding metal or painting stuff), and my Son Dan did wiring for a living at one time..........everything from custom cars to high end electronics in yachts. However, I just bought Dan a kit from American Autowire that he is going to use on his RPU, and it showed up today.

The kit is extremely well made and complete, down to the ignition switch, and even the indicator lights. Everything is clearly marked, and the wire is even higher quality than the Ancor Marine grade wire I have always used on my own cars. Cost is another factor. This kit cost $ 319.00 and if I were to buy the same components and rolls of wire to do my own wiring, I would have at least that much in it.

The other reason a kit makes sense is that not every car builder understands proper wiring.........some find it to be the hardest part of a build. I don't, because I wired my first car when I was 15, and have learned what to do and not do over the years. But for some a kit gives them a way to have a neat, dependable wiring system, and comes with pretty idiotproof instuctions.

I will probably buy another kit from them when I do my 39 Dodge.

Don

Cost is another factor. This kit cost $ 319.00 and if I were to buy the same components and rolls of wire to do my own wiring, I would have at least that much in it.

Ummmmm...where do you buy your parts??? Wiring my '53 Buick myself is actually cheaper than buying a kit. Surplus centers are a great place to find top-grade wire and electrical components for cheap.

Well, I've been in the marine business for about 20 years, so I use marine grade stuff on every component. The wire is made by Ancor and the difference between it and car grade stuff is that each strand within the wire is individually tinned for corrosion resistance. Switches and fuse panels, etc tend to be higher quality too. But, like most marine items this stuff isn't cheap, even with my discount, and many times I would walk out of work with a little bag of parts that cost me $ 100 and that only got me some of what I needed to do the job.

I wired my T using this stuff, and if it holds up like the wiring in my 27 I'll be thrilled. I did that one 20 years ago and the wiring still is in good shape.

Don

twiringdone-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back