when buying an already pulled trive train what should i look for?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yone187

since i cant start it up and drive it around what should i look for in an already pulled engine or tranny?
i have been looking for BBC and SBCs but am open for any other cool engines. I found alot of great looking deals on craigslist but am worried about buying a busted engine for alot of money. i would much rather find a running car and pull it myself but have been seeing alot of engines and trannys by themselves or as a combo.

pulled engine

Well aside from the look around for cracks or damage, pull the dip stick see how the oil smells. burnt or extremly black, has it has fresh oil put in it to try and cover something up? If it is all in one running peice I E carb starter exhaust manifold. Ask to start in on some blocks, i have done this a few times, its one way to see if it smokes or has a funny noise.

Take a hot wire to the coil or bat side of dist. and a set of jumpers to the starter with a little gas down the carb. With some luck it will run. Be sure it is blocked up good or will flip to one side and may cause damage, then you may have to buy it.

Good luck hope this is of some help to you.

52 fordman

I know some of the yards down here will set engines on stands and let you fire them up. Usually these are places that sort of specialize in used engines - not sure if any of those are around you though.

I know some of the yards down here will set engines on stands and let you fire them up. Usually these are places that sort of specialize in used engines - not sure if any of those are around you though.

None of those that I know of around here.

Yone,

If possible do a compression check you'll need a remote stater switch, a good battery and a compression gauge. Pull the valve covers off and take a look, if it's all gunked up and lots of goo... pass. Pull the pan pull off a couple of mains and a few rod caps and check the bearings for wear, scoring, and general condition. You'll be able to see if it's any good.

gonna go look at a couple donors today... found a couple people parting out trucks up here in santa fe. thanks for the tips guys!

Latest posts

Back