when did term "rat rod'' first appear

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome dmw! That has to be the best explanation of a question I have been asked way too many times. Thanks.

The story of Grey Baskerville of Hot Rod Magazine fame is an interesting one. Hot Rod did a rather large editorial on him when he died. Seems he was quite the character in that he had a lot of terminology that was unicly his own. They claim he coined the term Rat Rod to describe his own 32 roadster which seemed to always sport some primered panels and have a generally unfinished appearance to it. To this day it remains that way.

Seems like I read the term in HOT ROD magazine in the early 90's? Could be off a few. I don't care they're all hot rods to me, and I like em all, painted, not painted, primered, rusted, so long as you can drive it!. My dad had a '36 5 window coupe with a nearly new 8ba flathead he swapped into it. Shaved heads, maybe a cam and dual carbs, he called it a hot rod back in '49 ( Arizona at the time)

I understand the term rat rod, but I am all about the paint! Don't get me wrong, to each their own, but to me there is nothing better than a beautifully painted and well put together street rod. I don't want banned from this site and there is a lot of worthy information here, but if I had an old car/truck, I couldn't live with the rust. I would want it at least in primer and in paint at the final stage. Would this then not be considered a rat rod? A rat rod, to me, is something built to one's own imagination. It is one of a kind. Don't get me wrong here. If I had an old car I was restoring and had it road worthy, without paint, I would probably want to drive it as soon as I could. But, I would not be satisfied until the last coat of paint and clear coat is added, the car buffed out to a high gloss, and then scooting down the road.

Big Block don't worry about getting banned from this site just because you like paint. About 99% of the guys on here do too. We're not to big on labels either. Call it what ever you want just drive the heck out it!! :)

......... I would probably want to drive it as soon as I could. But, I would not be satisfied until the last coat of paint and clear coat is added, the car buffed out to a high gloss, and then scooting down the road.

What are these things called "clear coat", "buffed", and "high gloss" you speak of? I don't understand.... :D

I think of the term "beater" as the muscle car version of the rat rod.

My definition of rat rod - low buck, home built, and meant to be driven. We've been over this before....

We used the term "beater" in the mid-50's. It meant the car wasn't worth "fixing up" except to keep it running. We also used the term "hanger". A hanger was worse than a beater as it was barely hanging on to life. Curiously, I can't remember the term "hot rod" being used for anything but a very select few modified cars.

We used the term "beater" in the mid-50's. It meant the car wasn't worth "fixing up" except to keep it running. We also used the term "hanger". A hanger was worse than a beater as it was barely hanging on to life. Curiously, I can't remember the term "hot rod" being used for anything but a very select few modified cars.

Ouch..now I'm crushed cuz 40 years ago people called all my hot rods beaters and I thought they were paying a compliment. I was sure that in the future I would be awarded the honor of being the "Father of the Rat Rod"....like Dangerfield said, no respect!!..LOL:D

Maybe he was father of the beater? Rat rod was obviously a derogatory term originally too.

What's this then?
pontiac012829ho0.jpg

Besides being a 66 Bonny with "GTO" on it..... IT ain't a rat, but I like it.

Fuzz, Regional Differences!:) I vote for you as "Father of the Rat Rod".[cl

Thanks Bob..cors I'm just kidding but ya know as I get older I see the silliness in everything. When it comes to labeling car fads or trends it just seems funny to me. I really admire those Custom led sleds and the work and skill that's put into them. And I can appreciate the work put into rat rods as well. I even admire what the kids are doing with the "Tuners", saw a streeable front wheel drive Honda at the track that ran 10.30s. That's a Hot rod by my definition. Hope they're all havin fun!![P

posted this on hamb ,, deleted it in 2 minutes,, are they that afaid of rat rods, l own nice cars and rats, l walk on both sides of the car fence,, thanks for the answers

I met some cool people in Daytona that use the hamb,, and said you outa check it out. Well. I got through the introduction newbe part ect. But,, when I posted about four pics of the Hillbilly ride, the posts started quickly adding up, over 40 posts! What was funny, :D was all but maybe five or six negative ones, were really digging it. And you guessed it ,,Bam !! [S Thread closed. Reason: Off Topic I guess they failed to see the humor ? :D:D Glad to be back to the cool side ! ( RRR )

Thanks for the heads up Bob !! It was fun while it lasted !! I did get some PMs from a few cool people there after the thread door was slammed. And you was one of the cool ones too ! :Dm Thanks

ur right rev tex

i heard the same story ...from some guy that went crying to a show judge that people were looking at the other car and not his $300,000 piece of cat scat

You will always get flack from the "Preferred Parking" crowd, I have always built safe functional cars, most not finished. The finished ones are still around and being driven by someone.

Here is "MY" take on some definitions of how "I" classify different vehicles...

RAT ROD....Big Block Chevy Powered HOTROD (see hotrod definition below)!!

JALOPY....Pieced-together from other cars to make one car. Car is/looks like it is falling apart...This is the proper classification of a where modern day RAT RODS belong in my opinion.

Trailer Queen...Person with toooo much money invested in his/her vehicle "ART" ROD. Can't drive it due to the possibility of dust getting on it. High percentage of these cars were NOT built by the owner. Older, Balding, middle aged, overweight male who doesn't want the TYPICAL Corvette that many others of his genre drive. Many of these owners have a very high opinion of themself and put down all other cars claiming he has the best. Nothing more than a "CHECKBOOK" competition.

Street Rod....Pre-63 vehicle that has been modified to have modern day car amenities (drivetrain, air, tv's, power seats....ect). Many are Fiberglass replicas.

HOTROD....Generally a pre-63 vehicle that was modified for quicker acceleration/top speed. Modern day "RACE" parts commonly used. Mostly owner built/designed in their garage with or with friends helping. Drag Racing type performance/influance modifications performed. Cars were made to pound the streets looking for some racing action!

Traditional Rod...Normally a PRE WAR vehicle that was constructed with parts (speed or from other vehicles) from the era of the cars construction. An example would be a 32 Ford that was "hot Rodded" in the 1950's with that time periods avail parts. Around 1960 seems to be the common CUT-OFF year for using what was avail from "speed" suppliers on a traditional rod. Most modern day builders/replicators of these era cars go to great lengths and money to aquire vintage parts. Only problem I see with modern built traditional era rods are that they are to perfect. They were not built "back in the day" to be put on a trailer and hauled to shows. They were built to be driven...That is something that is getting lost with all the"NEW" "traditional rods" poping up. Another problem is that their are more TRADITIONAL RODS now than their was in the day!! Sorta like everyone who said they were at Woodstock!

Muscle Car...Normally a 1964-72 TWO DOOR "sport coupe"

Street Machine.....73-82 Nova's, Camaros, Malibu...type vehicles that had fat rear tires (sometimes tubbed), roll bars, blowers, tunnel rams, nitrous...ect....Cars resembled what you would see at the drag strip but driven on the road.

So where do I fall in?

Everything on my car is new, frame, wheels, engine, steering, brakes, axles, the only thing that's not is my body 1930 tudor chopped and channeled. Im building it , I concidar it a rat rod

Latest posts

Back