Will 1/2 inch thick solid rebar radius arms work???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meyek91974

Can I use 1/2 inch thick solid rebar to make radius arms?
Fronts and backs???
I can/could bend the 90 and cut to 32 inches in length...
At the Street Rod Nationals, I saw some/several people did it, but I dont have pics.

I am not building a show car and I think it'll be strong enough as I'm running a 70 hp, 300-odd lbs inline six build for economy, NOT speed

good stuff

much better off to spend a little cash or scrounge up some good quality steel tubing. no scrimping on stuff when it comes to safety. your'e life and others are on the line if ya use crappy parts.

later:cool:

Last edited:
Acceptable rebar application.

RebarChickenplanter.jpg

Last edited:
Can I use 1/2 inch thick solid rebar to make radius arms?
Fronts and backs???
I can/could bend the 90 and cut to 32 inches in length...
At the Street Rod Nationals, I saw some/several people did it, but I dont have pics.

I am not building a show car and I think it'll be strong enough as I'm running a 70 hp, 300-odd lbs inline six build for economy, NOT speed

In one word NO. There is a lot of stress on those radius rods both front and rear. The fronts get more strain when stopping, than any other time. The rears well they get stressed all the time. Why take a chance on something that important?

Last edited:
Re-bar is bottom of the range garbage grade mild steel, useful in tension, but not for any other purpose whatsoever. We have shed loads of it in our new house, and if it was of any structural use I'd be putting it on my own hot rod. :D

I used 1 inch pipe with weld bungs in my last ride.Better to use the correct size and tap threads,but I do not know of anyone around here who even knows what I am talking about.
Don`t you just love those dudes behind counters at metal suppliers and parts store?:mad:
I wonder how many time a day they say"We do not have it and can`t get it"
Of course living in a resort area makes it harder.All anyone cares about within a hundred miles of me is golf balls.:rolleyes:
I was born and raised here and I hate golf.It ruined area when it became golf resort.I liked the laid back beach town it was before.

nascar

man, your'e in NASCAR country rex1927. l think they have a business that specializes in used race car/truck parts. that place should be a gold mine for rod parts.

l seen it in a magazine a few years ago, had all the "old" parts they don't use and some R & D stuff that that didn't work on the track but may be fine for a rod.

Later:cool:

I wish this fad of using stuff like rebar and camshafts for suspension and steering components would finally go away. Put goofy stuff on your grille shells, make all the weird air cleaners you want, and all that kind of stuff, but LEAVE THE STEERING, BRAKES, AND SUSPENSION ALONE ! :mad: I thought rat rodders were finally starting to see the light that there is a reason you have to use the correct parts in critical places, and then a post like this shows up, or I go to a show and see a car with a camshaft for a draglink.:rolleyes:

I know you probably asked this question in good faith, and I really blame the people that display their cars with this kind of foolishness for keeping this garbage going. The powers that be are working hard enough as it is to legislate our cars out of commission, they don't need these sorts of examples to further their cause.

Don

Last edited:
No way

There are things you just don't do. I have seen someone try this because he wanted the rebar look on his arms, Did not work!!!! If you are going for a look get some good arms and make your rebar peices clamp to your arms.

Very well put Don. [cl

In my neck of the woods, we're fighting to keep our cars on the road. I argue that our rods are supposed to LOOK dangerous, not actually BE dangerous. That's a tough argument to maintain when I see some of the cobbled together junk.

Use proven materials and components where it counts the most. Weld the rebar, gas pipe, conduit and scrap iron somewhere else on your ride.

I call those radical show cars "Shock Rods". The biggest shock is when it kills you.

I wish this fad of using stuff like rebar and camshafts for suspension and steering components would finally go away. Put goofy stuff on your grille shells, make all the weird air cleaners you want, and all that kind of stuff, but LEAVE THE STEERING, BRAKES, AND SUSPENSION ALONE ! :mad: I thought rat rodders were finally starting to see the light that there is a reason you have to use the correct parts in critical places, and then a post like this shows up, or I go to a show and see a car with a camshaft for a draglink.:rolleyes:

I know you probably asked this question in good faith, and I really blame the people that display their cars with this kind of foolishness for keeping this garbage going. The powers that be are working hard enough as it is to legislate our cars out of commission, they don't need these sorts of examples to further their cause.

Don
well put, anything safety wise, i go with proven strong material. Its simply safer. I would also rather take the time making something safe just appear scary and dangerous, having peace of mind its safe. Not worth the risk for me or others out there.

Don

And it's the kind of crap that makes haters like on other hotrod forums who think anything with the ratrod label is one of those goofy POS cars.

Latest posts

Back