Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > The "BS" Lounge

The "BS" Lounge Off topic posts & general stuff with no category! You talkin' to ME?!?!?!

Old 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Getting Old

I am 63 years old. Seems everyday I wake up there is a new pain. I am semi retired and when not working at my job I am doing something constructive. We got a couple of dogs back in May and in the past few weeks we have built a fence and gate. I also work on all the cars we have. As with most of us we were not kind to our bodies in our youth and it is haunting me now. I am wondering how long will I be able to do this? Is it just part of the deal, do it knowing you may be a bit sore or unable to move the next day? I am feeling so old and frankly a little depressed about it. I have always been very active and really wont do well sitting on the side lines. Thanks Jim
Old 08-07-2020, 08:44 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I went thru the same emotions when I hit 60.
Was pi$$y for about a year then decided to make the best of it and things really did get better.
I'll be 70 in April. Just keep at it, none of us are getting out of this alive
Old 08-07-2020, 09:13 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I hear ya I'm 64 this month and every morning is a new adventure in what's gonna hurt. I'm to the point it's just part of growing old. As my 87 year old Dad says the only thing Golden about the the "Golden years" is the color of your pee.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I`m not your age but I`ve had my share of worn parts and pain... For me finding new things to do was the way to accept I could no longer do the things I loved doing.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'll be 73 in a few weeks. I too am making small payments, now, for the "sins" of my younger years. Still, on my worst days, I know that there are folks out there that are way worse off than I am. And, I think of the alternative to being a little older, and a little slower, and a little weaker, and having a few aches and pains, and I am glad I am still around to enjoy my retirement. Get used to the new you, my friend, it beats the alternative hands down. I know that I'm a lucky guy, and plan to stay that way for a long time to come. We have to play the hand we are dealt. Folding is not an option.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

Just hit 79 on the age-o-meter. Getting up and getting going is the hardest part for me. Currently in Cardiac Rehab which has me on the treadmill and bike 3 days a week. Still building hot rods and drag cars. I try to keep physical activity in my daily routine. Walking the dogs, mowing the 1 acre lawn with a 21" Lawnboy, raking leaves by hand. You get the point. Keeping the weight down is the hardest part. Gotta keep the mind sharp too by reading, doing crossword puzzles, planning the next build, etc.

It is difficult to back off but sometimes necessary. Sit on the porch, read a book, visit a car buddy. Let your body recover.

Try to get by with a minimum of pain killers or other medication.

Yes, the Golden Years are a bit tarnished. If you have a bucket list, get to it. If not, and I don't, just enjoy the simple things in life like moving the hot rod project forward, a visit, a conversation, birdsong, wildlife, a meal and so on.

Works for me.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:38 PM
The Rat Captain

Talking

Well just hit 75 on July 4th.. I'm on the usual meds for Cholesterol, BP, Acid reflex and a couple vitamins. As bob w said the trick is to keep moving. I have been fortunate in that I don't have any big problems with the pieces and parts. Just know you limits, take time to rehab and enjoy every day you have.
As the Willy song says, "I woke up not dead makes it's a good day"
Old 08-07-2020, 02:25 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

The ol Tripper is 72... there's no part of my poor old body that doesn't hurt. My shoulders, knees, back, ankles, hips, wrists etc. I used to laugh at my moms when she'd get down on the floor to do something & have a hard time getting back up... now that's not so dang funny!!! Since there's nothing I can do about it... I just keep on keepin' on... just a lil slower than I used to be!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 08-07-2020, 02:42 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Bunch of old farts around here. I hope to be one someday!
I'm 61, hoping to do the semi retire deal myself next year. I don't have the energy I had in my 20's, heck even what I had 5 years ago. I have arthritis that affects my shoulders, knees, and hands. Some days I can't lift my right arm over halfway, my knees ache, and this week, every morning my fingers have been so swelled up I couldn't flex them for a while. Makes it hard to open a drink bottle when you finger and thumb won't go together. You learn new ways to do things so it doesn't hurt as bad.

About half a day of manual labor is all I'm good for anymore. Gone are the days of daylight to after midnight work sessions. I can still do most things, it just takes me longer to do them! I can still curl my fingers around the steering wheel though, and even when the arm hurts to bad to lift, I can still work the shifter. The knees, well, it just takes longer to go from seated to standing to walking. And I can relate to getting up off the floor!

I have come to the conclusion I won't live forever, I'll never get everything I want to do done, and I don't have to rush anything anymore. I just take my time, what gets done gets done, what doesn't will be there when I go back to it unless I pay someone to do it for me.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:43 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'm an oldster too & limping along like a lot of you. I'll be cool until they ask for my keys, then there'll be a fight!

Toad