My Studebaker project.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8literbeater

I'm not restoring it. I just enjoy doing the work on it.
I'm pretty much done with it now, and I'll be selling it soon.

It's a 47 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe.
It's pretty much all original. I rebuilt the brakes, and the Stromberg carburetor.
I put new points, condenser, cap, rotor, and wires on it. I don't think there was any problem with the points, condenser, cap and rotor, but it seemed like the thing to do.
The automatic overdrive works, the gauges all work except the gas gauge, and I don't know if the problem is with the sender or a wire or the gauge. The generator and regulator work fine. The original radio works good. The headlights and taillights work. I only got one brake light working. I'm getting the water pump rebuilt, since I can't buy the kit.

I need to do something with the wheels and tires. Anyway, I thought some people might be interested.

This is how it started.

firststudebakerpic1.jpg

I have to get to my other computer with more pictures, and I'll post the rest of what I have.

What is a RESTORATION?? lol

Looks cool..... not sure any of us are restoring anything.....just working on them....LOL [cl

Heck.....

I don't think there is much that would scare any of us much....other than rebar for steering linkage....:eek: oh...did I say that????

I think restoring some of these old jewels is quite commendable my hat is off to you on this one and I'll be watching the progress[P ! I'm restoring an old '53 Binder and thinking on what to do with a '72 Cargostar COE.

I agree with not restoring to original

I do not restore anymore either.
Last car I restored was 1960 falcon.I bought it to make gasser,but it was almost rust free so restoring I went.Well it cost twice as much to restore all suspension,steering,etc,etc,etc as the gasser would have cost.
And when all was said and done,all anyone was interested in was cool paint job,not all the work below.And I took big loss on it because 6 cyl falcons don`t bring the price of V8 hotrods.
On bright side it should be around long after I am gone unless it is wrecked,because it is practically like new.
Next time I am lucky enough to find a falcon,It gets "Gassered"[;)
You have a nice studebaker there.
It would make a cool gasser too_Or just drive and enjoy the way it is.You can`t lose with your car.Studebakers are always popular.

He's removing the bad brake line for me.(He had just turned 6.)

cb702b85.jpg

I don't have much for pictures of the brake work. I can mention the fact that the drums have to come off with the hubs, and the rear hubs have a single key on a tapered axle shaft that requires a puller. Most of you probably have dealt with that before. I hadn't.
I rebuilt the wheel cylinders and cleaned the shoes and drums. Everything was in really good shape. Nothing bent, broken, or grooved. I rebuilt the master cylinder and replaced the brake light switch.

...unless it is wrecked

A few months ago I was driving through Phoenix and came upon an accident in the middle of a large intersection. There was an early 60s Ranchero with the front end smashed sideways from hitting cross-traffic. It looked like everyone was okay, but it still hurt to see that nice old car smashed, and it wasn't even restored.

Looks awesome. By the way, how much does it cost to have an interior done?

Thanks Mav. Short answer: about $1250
I almost don't want to admit that, but I'll just keep it a secret when I sell it. Maybe I'll have to delete this thread.:D

My typical long answer: I had an upholstery guy quote me $3800 :eek: to install a kit that he would order from somewhere. He said that was the cheapest install he could do.

I met a guy that recommended a guy, and that guy told me where he buys the material. So I went and picked out some stuff that was in the lower price range, and he bought all the extras. He doesn't charge anything for materials, you just pay the cost, so you could just give him a sample and he'll go buy it at no extra charge. The fabric was the cheapest part of the materials at about $130. It can easily be double that. All the other doodads plus the carpet added up to around $450. 130+450=580 By the time all the tallying was done, he gave me a price before starting, and I paid for the materials only.

Get this. I dropped it off at noon on a Monday. I told him, "no rush, don't hurry, I don't need it right away..." Sooo, he calls me Friday at 5:30 and says "it's done, come get it". Holy crap! Then he tells me that he got some of the stuff for cheaper than he expected, so I get money back for that!
He quoted me a flat rate for the whole job, and gave me money back at the end. Unbelievable. I couldn't be happier.

It's nice dealing with people that have integrity. Looks good, and that's a good price for the interior. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back