sound proofing my 54

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasinhiway

OK, this is my first post, although I have enjoyed reading this forum for a while now. My project is a 1954 f100, I recently installed a vintage air AC kit so now its time to insulate the interior a little better. I was going to do a combination of lizard skin and dynamat but after reading several post on this and other websites I have decided (much to my pocket books excitement) to try a different and much cheeper method. I first will be painting the inside of my truck with some rust oleum paint mixed with thermacells http://www.hytechsales.com/index.html then followed with some peel and stick from Lowes then some aluminum coated package wrap for lack of a better description. this is the interior stripped, cleaned and waiting on paint

Attachments

• 54 sound proofing 001.jpg
    54 sound proofing 001.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 54 sound proofing 002.jpg
    54 sound proofing 002.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 79
  • 54 sound proofing 004.jpg
    54 sound proofing 004.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 90
Wow, your floors and sheetmetal are NICE! Looks like your Rustoleum process will really protect it too. I've used that same Rustoleum Professional primer and it works great. In fact, I just primed my mini bike with it and sprayed Rustoleum enamel on top and it came out nice.

Don

OK, this is my first post, although I have enjoyed reading this forum for a while now. My project is a 1954 f100, I recently installed a vintage air AC kit so now its time to insulate the interior a little better. I was going to do a combination of lizard skin and dynamat but after reading several post on this and other websites I have decided (much to my pocket books excitement) to try a different and much cheeper method. I first will be painting the inside of my truck with some rust oleum paint mixed with thermacells http://www.hytechsales.com/index.html then followed with some peel and stick from Lowes then some aluminum coated package wrap for lack of a better description. this is the interior stripped, cleaned and waiting on paint

FYI, you can buy Peel & Seal from roofing suppliers in 3 foot by 33 ft rolls for about a buck a sqare foot. 99 sq. ft. for 99.00 bucks. More than you need, I know, but you'd have it for future builds. Just for your info......

Well i finished the interior up last night. The thermalcells mixed really good with the rust oleum paint and spread nicely with a brush. After it dried a couple hours I started applying the peel and stick after covering the floor, firewall and back of cab I then covered the same area with the aluminum coated bubble wrap then the carpet. My maiden trip was to walmart about 10 miles away with outside temp around 90-95. It was incredible, the cab was noticably quieter and I actually had to turn the air down. I will be following this same set up on all vehicles. total cost was around $200. And I have enough left over to probably do another truck cab.

Attachments

• 54 sound proofing 005.jpg
    54 sound proofing 005.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 54 sound proofing 006.jpg
    54 sound proofing 006.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 54 sound proofing 007.jpg
    54 sound proofing 007.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 54 sound proofing 008.jpg
    54 sound proofing 008.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 54 sound proofing 009.jpg
    54 sound proofing 009.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 54 sound proofing 010.jpg
    54 sound proofing 010.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 78
I was waiting see how it did. I think I will do the same. Good job! Did you do doors and roof or just floors and behind seat?

just the floors, firewall and behind the seat for now. I'm going to do the doors when I decide what I want to do with my door panels. the cool thing about the thermal cells is that it could actually be painted on the bottom side of the floor board also. like over the exhaust and headers.

just to make sure this stuff works I took 2 pieces of 1 ft square sheet metal. 1 I painted with 1 coat of thermacells and rust oleum (they reccomend 2 coats) the other I left plain. I then placed each of them on top of a spot lamp for 5 minutes. the temp of the light with an infa red temp gun was 146f the temp of both pieces of metal was 78f. After 5 minutes of being on the spot lamp the plain steel had a surface temp of 102.1 on the side away from the lamp. The painted steel after 5 minutes on the heat lamp had a surface temp of 95f. I hope this helps. This product is supposed to be comparable to lizard skin except you mix it with whatever paint you want.

Thanks for the test & the results - it's nice to see the numbers to know the product is actually doing what it says it will.

btw - nice job. I'm definitely going to keep this in mind for when I'm ready to insulate mine.

Latest posts

Back