31 Woody Scratch Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caddata

Running the idea of a 31 Woody thru my mind. Will be based on 2006 Explorer running gear with scratch built frame, fenders, and body. Wheelbase stretched to 114" with extra length used to widen doors. Top is chopped 6". Body channeled 6" and stretched up 6". Side window bottoms raised up to bottom of windshield.

Any thoughts.

Attachments

• 31_Woody 06-22-14.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 63
Gotta be careful with woodies.Every measurement has to be spot on to make a good body.I helped my dad build 10 of them and have built 2 myself since he died.
They are very expensive to build and take a lot of time.You have got to use the best materials money can buy and be exact dead on with every measurement or you will have a bad one.
Any bad fits or non matching grain patterns will shine like a spotlight through the varnish.Don`t forget to spline every seam.
Check out my build thread to get an idea.
Material costs to get to where I am at on mine is $1988.00.And around 160 hours of work.:eek:
I am not saying don`t do it.
Just be ready to spend some money and do the best woodwork you have ever done if you do it.
Our family has always been in boatbuilding and repair so super exact fits and finishes come natural to us.My Dad would not settle for anything less.
Good luck.Looks like fun project.:)

Latest posts

Back