'73 Chevy Super 10 Cheyenne

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

Bought this truck last week. It has a 350/350 in it, no rust anywhere, fresh engine and trans (though the original was fine - going to get that too), and finally have a tow vehicle again. The cab in the back belonged to him to build his rat rod; '50-something Ford. Drove it home 60 miles with the heater stuck on in 100 degree weather! Yeah, that was fun. Just a few little details to take care of and it'll get vintage plate and collectible insurance. :)

73chevy_n_zpsy1snbovu.jpg

Good looking truck! I had a 74 just like that, except mine was a 454 and was a beige and white. First vehicle I owned with AC and power steering. It was a gas hog! About 8 mpg, if you were lucky!

The Cheyenne was top of the line, no Silverado back then. IIRC, the Super had 3/4 ton rated springs for hauling and towing, yet was still a 1/2 ton with the 5 lug 15" wheels.

First thing you need to do is make sure the hood hinges are well lubricated. GM, in the interest of driver safety, designed a weak spot in the center of the hood that allowed the hood to fold instead of sliding straight back in a frontal collision. Unfortunately, if the hinges get dry, you can ruin the hood because it doesn't take much to fold it. There used to be "hood stiffeners" sold that you screwed over the weak spot, but that defeated the safety of the hood. I've seen countless numbers of those pickups with the hood pinched up in the center from dry hinges.

We had the same truck on the farm - except it was the dark green two tone. Good lookin truck. Well, by the time my brother junked it the two tone scheme was rust and holes - that 73-74 Chevy steel didn't handle road salt at all.

73 also had the bed too close to the cab and it always hit if you went through a ditch or something. 74 they move it back. Pretty good old trucks, doors never close very good. She'll be a workhorse.

Thanks guys! Bamamav, it's true. Almost every '70s C10 I have seen here in the desert has a buckled hood, and it was one of the nice surprises to find this one in tact. I will surely keep it lubed up to keep it that way. WB, the doors need a good slam to close correctly, so that's what they get! After all, it IS my work/towing truck. :)

Latest posts

Back