Brake bleeding help!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

OK, I've run all my new brake lines, tightened all connections, bench bled the master cylinder, filled with fluid. I bought a little hand pump (mighty vac) from autoparts store. When I pump the brake pedal the calipers close and I have no leaks at any connections (anymore).

My bleeding procedure is: pull a vaccum on the bleeder screw, open bleeder 1/4 turn or so, pump like crazy for about 15 mins until I get enough fluid in the little jar to empty it. Close bleeder, refil master cylinder, making sure it doesn't get too low, repeat.

The problem is, I've been pumping and refilling for about 2 hours on one caliper and still getting 90% air. I must have refilled the damn m.c. 10 times, and don't seem to be getting any more fluid than when I started.

Does it really take that long to get all the air out of the system? Is there a better way?? Is it a fools errand to use a hand pump on a new system?:confused::mad:

When using the vacuum pump - pump it prior to opening the bleeder to create the vacuum then close when fluid stops - repeat till air is out of system. By pumping the vacuum pump with bleeder open, your just putting air back in the system

The vacuum pump. It may not work well b/c I have my m.c. below the floor and I read that vac pumps may not work well with residual pressure valves (I have them). It may just be pulling air past the bleeder threads.

I'll try the old fashioned way - have someone pump the pedal while I work the bleeders. My wife will love doing that in the 100 deg garage I'm sure!

you may have to drill the m/c cap and put in a valve stem, use bicycle pump to force fluid through. worked on an old beetle, except mechanic genius friend didn't adjust shoes, so still no brakes.

you may have to drill the m/c cap and put in a valve stem, use bicycle pump to force fluid through. worked on an old beetle, except mechanic genius friend didn't adjust shoes, so still no brakes.

I'll have to try that next time. It really didn't take much time once I got someone to pump the pedal while I worked the bleeders. Problem solved!

Latest posts

Back