early heads late block, flathead ford V8

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old skool ray

I'de like to put some early (center water inlet) aluminum heads on a late block (front water inlet)flathead ford 60v8.I know it works but could use help with gasket and water passage info. I saw an article one time about blocking or drilling water passages,,,I think! lol,, any help would be great!

early heads later block ford flathead,,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------think this is the answer i ws looking for,, hopw others can use it too!

Adapting 59A Style Heads to an 8BA Block
In order to use the 59A style heads with the center water neck on an 8BA block 3 holes must be pluged. There are 2 holes on the engine and 1 on the head that will leak if not pluged. By laying a 59A gasket on the block with a few studs or bolts in place you can see which hole needs to be tapped. Use a good sharp 1/8 NPT pipe tap and light tapping oil. The tap drill size is a "R" letter drill but more than likley the block will not need to be drilled. If fact, first check that the block will accept the tap. If it's too corroded it may need a larger tap. Allen head plugs can be found in good hardware stores but if you have any problems locating some we have them here.
Best time to do this is before assembly. If you do it after it's assembled, make sure you keep the shavings out of the block. Rags and a magnet are needed. I should be using a tap handle at least or better yet a tap fixture to keep it square and straight.
Passengers side hole is partialy covered by the gasket but it will leak if not plugged. There is a water passage on the head that almost lines up with this hole which is why it also needs to be plugged.
Use sealant rated for water contact and high temperature.
Make certain you are below the deck with the installed plugs.
This hole needs to be drilled to the R drill size (.339"). Again use good sealant on it. Pretty simple but don't get in a rush or you could end up with a leaker or worse yet you could break the tap off in the block or the head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• 8BA59A5.jpg
    8BA59A5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 8BA59A2.jpg
    8BA59A2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 15
  • 8BA59A6.jpg
    8BA59A6.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 8BA59A4.jpg
    8BA59A4.jpg