First time frustrations

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterdan

Im new to rat rodding and am anxiously looking into my first project. only problem is i really have no idea what I am getting into with this. does anyone have any advice on bodies/frames that can be made into a cool first time project but aren't going to force this rookie to pull out all his hair? any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!

That's going to depend a lot on what there is available locally. Many, many are built with the cab from an old farm truck. Around here 47-53 Chevy pickups are pretty easy to find. Parts are readily available, the frame is tough enough and they look good (but only full fendered IMHO). If it's your first build, don't hang yourself out there on a major project. Get something that can roll and has basics like pedals. Of course a lot will depend on your welding and fab skills and tools.

What WB said.

Trucks are plentiful on the prairies...

attachment.php

... about an hour from me, shot last summer.

Oh, and welcome to RRR from "Mosaic Stadium". :D

Attachments

• Photo0017.jpg
    Photo0017.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 133
Your first is supposed to be fun so, as WB said, nothing that will take a long time to finish. Too long a time is the number one nemesis for not getting one finished, losing interest before the pay off :(
You want something that in a couple weeks or months can be driven to and from the parts store, junkyard, just a nice cruise and car shows while, you're collecting parts for the one that will take awhile finishing :D

Look around & see what's available & something will speak to you... at least that's the way it's always worked for me! [cl

BoB

I'm with Old Iron. Start with one that can be mobile in a short amount of time. This was a big motivation factor for me. I like instantaneous gratification. Now I cruise my first to collect parts for the other 6 I am knee deep into. Oh, by the way , it is an ADDICTION I have now. just saying.[cl

if you can
find one that somebody lost interest in/ran out of money.
sometimes a guy can find something that all the hard stuff has already been done
and it needs wiring or brakes plumbed etc.

if you can
sometimes a guy can find something that all the hard stuff has already been done

Agreed.
The field is litered with unfinished projects. As a starting point just get on E-bay and type in RR projects and see what comes up. Or cruise Craigs List.
Start with the basics such as...
How much can you afford to pay.?
What do you have the skill, tools, shop to do.?
How soon do you want to drive it.?
And be realistic about your ability and resources as there is no shame in starting where someone else left off.

I bought my first car when I was 14. I took it apart more times than I put it back together. I never did finish it but I learned alot. Now 43 years later I am still learning but work real hard at finishing what I start.:D
Have fun. Your journeys just begun.
Torchie.

Agreed.
The field is litered with unfinished projects. As a starting point just get on E-bay and type in RR projects and see what comes up. Or cruise Craigs List.
Start with the basics such as...
How much can you afford to pay.?
What do you have the skill, tools, shop to do.?
How soon do you want to drive it.?
And be realistic about your ability and resources as there is no shame in starting where someone else left off.

I bought my first car when I was 14. I took it apart more times than I put it back together. I never did finish it but I learned alot. Now 43 years later I am still learning but work real hard at finishing what I start.:D
Have fun. Your journeys just begun.
Torchie.

I just wanted to add to your comments about sites to check. In Canada, Kijiji is your best bet for looking for projects.

Dr. Crank that's quite an impressive collection!
I have a bit of coin to spend on the project but don't want to break the bank, especially on the first one which will probably not turn out as imagined anyway;) I have lived on a farm my whole life so I do have a fair amount of mechanical experience with farm equipment but cars are fairly new to me. as for work space I will have to wait for summer as our shop is not heated, which is a bit of a necessity for Canadian winters :p for me this first project is more of a way to dive in and learn, I don't expect the first round to be any sort of contest winner that's for sure!

my next one will be bought as a runner with title.
i dont feel like devoting three years of building before i can drive it again.[P

if you can

Yeah, as long as they did decent work but a lot of those unfinished cars need most of the work done over'
Also, make sure you get something with good paperwork or at least research how you are going to get a title BEFORE you plunk down your money and get started. To me, anything without a good title is just a parts car.

Look around & see what's available & something will speak to you... at least that's the way it's always worked for me! [cl

BoB

Tripper , that don't work for me ,,, everything I drive by Knows my name , and screams at me ,, hey , go get your trailer and come back and get me ok ????? Looking is like an addiction ,, once you start you cant quit !!!!

Yeah, as long as they did decent work but a lot of those unfinished cars need most of the work done over'
Also, make sure you get something with good paperwork or at least research how you are going to get a title BEFORE you plunk down your money and get started. To me, anything without a good title is just a parts car.

Yeah, up here that means that the vehicle needs to have a serial number. An old registration matching it (from your province) is best, but if you have a serial number plate on the vehicle you can get an out of province done easily, and don't need to mess with getting one assigned.

way too many guys have screwed themselves building a car and thinking
meh
i'll title it when i am done.
THEN find out that the cool car they have poured time and money into
will NEVER be legally driven on a public road.

Yeah, up here that means that the vehicle needs to have a serial number. An old registration matching it (from your province) is best, but if you have a serial number plate on the vehicle you can get an out of province done easily, and don't need to mess with getting one assigned.

how does one go about researching the serial number of a car in Canada? since every province has a difference registration system is there a cross country database of some sort I can look into?

how does one go about researching the serial number of a car in Canada? since every province has a difference registration system is there a cross country database of some sort I can look into?[/QUOTE

BDan ,

Your sweeting this hard outa the box is not a good sign .. I do not know what is available in your area ...do you have craigslist etc ?

Find something advertised and post it and you will get ideas I am sure.......... BUT.......... you do need some creativity going in ... other wise you may as well quit now and of course none of us want you to do that .......

oldog

Latest posts

Back