From Georgia

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad54

Hey guys,
It has been (rightfully)brought to my attention that I pretty much just pimp my show(s) here, and never even did a proper intro.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to offend.
My name is Brad Ocock, and I live in Georgia. I've written for car mags for the last 15 years, as a tech editor and editor on Mopar Muscle, tech editor for Buckaroo Communications' fleet of mags (remember them? Super Rod, Street Rod Builder, Chevy Rumble, et al), and for the last few years as a freelancer.

I used to post on a lot of different sites as a "participant," and then sort of dropped off them as my car projects stalled and I got caught up with work more and more. For instance, when I was thrashing on my '54 Buick, I hit all the Buick sites and several traditional rod n custom sites... the Buick has been sitting for years and I've moved on to my '61 Suburban, so it was all the truck sites... then the '73 Duster, so it was the Mopar sites... until that car got stripped, hung on a rotisserie and then shoved over in the shop, on it's side, next to a ridiculously big lathe I haven't hooked up yet, and won't know what I'm doing once it is hooked up. (which lead to forays on machinists and tool websites). Then we got a '61 Corvair wagon so it's been the Corvair sites.

I do a monthly swap meet post here and a bunch of other sites.. and yeah, it is self-serving in the fact that it's promoting MY event... but the flip side of that coin is that its letting everyone here know about a monthly swap meet that's grown into a pretty damn good event, and it's one of the cheapest in the country, for vendors and spectators. I LOVE swap meets... that's why I started it. It was like a meth-head getting his own Junior Chemist Set for Christmas.

And now it's the same with The Gear Jam... I get a 2-week hard-on when I go to a good vintage drag race like The Meltdown Drags in Illinois, or a good traditional show like The Lonestar Roundup or Billetproof or The Hunnert Car Pileup...

I know its frowned on to just pimp a show and never contribute in the forums, and I've always been a little *****ly about that... I really DO feel like a heel coming onto sites just to pimp my show and not hanging around the rest of the time.
But they're shows that are, in my humble opinion, good for the hobby, and the local scene... so I post even though I feel like a heel.

But if you get sick of seeing my show pimp posts and boot me, I'll understand. I hope you won't, and will keep letting me throw them up here... the swap meet has REALLY turned out to be something great in the Atlanta area, and guys are starting to come down from Chattanooga and Knoxville and Charlotte... The Can o' Worms '32 Ford is going to be in Hot Rod this month, and he's gotten a ton of parts for it at my show... and I think that's just cool as all hell... not because it's my show, or good for the show in any way, but because something I've busted ass on for years helped a guy find the parts that landed his car in Hot Rod. I LOVE that I've been able to help him and other guys find parts, make friends or make some money. And I hope I can keep doing that...

Thanks,
-Brad

welcome

well now that ya done a right proper intro (and one of the longest ever :D) l guess ya can hang around here with us:rolleyes:

good to have ya.

Later :cool:

Welcome to the RRR....

I've gotten writers cramp a time or two, but never readers cramp....lol...
Oh that isn't true....just wait till you read a few of Torchmans posts....LOL..
Jump in, make yourself at home and get to building....lots of pics for us reading challenged....:D

Might as well start a 'Rat' project to go with all those others. :D So what if you don't get back to it for a few years..........my Willys sat for 30 years after I chopped the top on it. :eek:

One thing for sure, with that many projects pushed back, you'll never lack for something to work on when you get bored. ;)

Have ya noticed a pattern to what you're doing with your projects [S
Welcome to the site pimp or no pimp [ddd

Might as well start a 'Rat' project to go with all those others. :D So what if you don't get back to it for a few years..........my Willys sat for 30 years after I chopped the top on it. :eek:

One thing for sure, with that many projects pushed back, you'll never lack for something to work on when you get bored. ;)

The '54 Buick has been in my shop so long, it's damn-near a barn find.

I've actually been collecting parts for a throw-together...
A axle, '36 (I think... been a while) spindles, juice backing plates, 45-fin drums, Corvair box, rebuilt-and-ready-to-go '57 Chevy 4.11 Posi rear, '54 Buick under-floor pedals, aluminum 3-chamber master cylinder from a Jeep (lines on passenger side... or frame rail side when flipped under the car), Corvair steering column, Willys Overland radiator shell, 264-inch Nailhead and 3spd, Weiand 3x2 and 2x4 intakes, NOS Dragfast shifter, random gauges, '58 Chevy Panel bucket seats, and commercial A headlights. Really just need a decent, and CHEAP body at this point. I might find enough this year to do something besides trip over all of it!

-Brad

Have ya noticed a pattern to what you're doing with your projects [S
Welcome to the site pimp or no pimp [ddd

Are you talking about the Automotive ADHD, or the Analysis Paralysis?
Because I've got both.
Bad.
Though the '61 Suburban is my daily driver, and has been for the last 7 years, 60K+ miles and 20 states.

-Brad

Are you talking about the Automotive ADHD, or the Analysis Paralysis?
Because I've got both.
Bad.
Though the '61 Suburban is my daily driver, and has been for the last 7 years, 60K+ miles and 20 states.

-Brad
Automotive ADHD [ddd
I recognize it cause, I have it too [S

Latest posts

Back