Front Split Wishbone Mounts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

Been having a debate about the front split wishbone mounts. Maybe putting too much thought into it, I could use the standard tab off the frame, but I will end up with my steering arm hitting the wishbone without modifying the steering arm (not a big deal). But then for thinking if I move the wishbone mount closer to the frame centreline I can avoid the steering arm issue and put in a little more triangulation to the wishbones. I realize mounting the wishbone inside the frame rail will be a fair bit more work then heating and bending the steering arm, but it will add a fair bit of strength to the frame as adding bracing to the centre crossmember. Give me your thoughts suggestions etc... just not sure how I want to proceed.

This is just a rough placement one on each side to give an idea what I am thinking...
IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

I wasnt sure on a design standpoint if having the mounts closer together would help to eliminate some of the twisting of the front axle during movement... or if it would be so negligible that it isnt worth the time at all.

I like the looks of the wishbone running down the side of the frame instead of running under it.
As far as the twist goes, I'm not seeing any difference created by the position of the pivot.

Either way will work.
Traditionaly speaking attaching the front split wishbone to the side rail has been the norm for years on perimeter frames like what yours appears to be.

On later style ford frames*with the X-member people that have done a later model engine swap have dropped the ball end of the wishbone down from the crossmember for clearence or modified it somewhat like you are talking about.
Either way will work.
From a appearence standpoint on an open wheel front end I would agree with OI.
But as you have pointed out the extra cross member will add strength to the frame.
In the end it is really about what you are comfortable with.
Torchie.

I agree, put it at the side of the frame rail. No difference in function.

BTW, that whole setup looks really well done and well thought out. I like it.

Don

I'm going to disagree here. I always prefer the wishbone mounted under the rail and toward the center of the car. As you said it improves triangulation, and to me it is more aesthetically pleasing. It mimics the original appearance of an unsplit wishbone, whereas when placed under the frame rail (especially with the generic flat brackets) they often wind up looking like an afterthought. I vote for underneath...

It mimics the original appearance of an unsplit wishbone, whereas when placed under the frame rail (especially with the generic flat brackets) they often wind up looking like an afterthought.

This was my train of thought in asking just wasnt sure if it was worth it or if there was an advantage to mount them closer to the centre of the frame. I've done a similar idea on my open drive conversion for the rear, so was thinking it'd carry the idea forward to the front as well.

I have probbaly a couple weeks until the rear is set up so I have time to ponder just trying to build it in my head first.

This was my train of thought in asking just wasnt sure if it was worth it or if there was an advantage to mount them closer to the centre of the frame. I've done a similar idea on my open drive conversion for the rear, so was thinking it'd carry the idea forward to the front as well.

I have probbaly a couple weeks until the rear is set up so I have time to ponder just trying to build it in my head first.

I don't disagree with Blue Eyed Devil in regards to the triangulation issue but bear in mind the road conditons that these cars were designed for vs what you will be driving on now. If you are going to come to my neck of the woods and go 2 tracking I would say don't split the wish bone.:D
I have heard of very few issues with a well done split front axle mounted to the side rails. The rears on the other hand.:eek:
As far as appearence goes that is all in the eye of the builder(You). Since you have the rear setup that way, set up the front the same if that's what suits you.
Oh. And post up some pics of the rear set up and conversion. Or better yet start a build thread.[cl [P
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back