Got a fuel problem

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billyc61

I have a fuel problem
Have a 305 sbc with comp cam and gear drive timing and HEI
Brawler 650 carb with electric choke
After going about two miles down the highway at speed around 60mph
It starts cutting out like running out of fuel! 3/4 tank of fuel …brand new brawler carb. Floats are set at the sight glasses just at bottom of site glass in both bowls!
Can’t find out the problem!
Any advice ?

Attachments

• IMG_9613.jpeg
    IMG_9613.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9615.jpeg
    IMG_9615.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3736.jpeg
    IMG_3736.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3735.jpeg
    IMG_3735.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
One of your tests could be; run your truck till it starts burping and then shut it off, put it out of gear, and roll to a stop. Then check in your sight glasses to see if you really are out of gas or it is some other problem. While you're under the hood then, feel the coil, if it's too hot that's the problem. If you let the truck cool down does it start up and go again for a while? Do you have an electric fuel pump or manual?
Good luck.
I like the Willys.

Does it do the same thing at lower speeds around town within the same time frame? Could be the fuel pump can't keep up.

There really isn't enough information, we are all guessing.

Does it quit running?
Is it better if you slow down?
Is the motor running hot?
Do you have an electric fuel pump or mechanical?
How old is the fuel pump?
Id the weather hotter (or cooler) then when it ran well?
Is this a new problem or have you had it for a while?
What was the last thing you change, and how long ago was that?
There will be ore questions.

Does it do the same thing at lower speeds around town within the same time frame? Could be the fuel pump can't keep up.

Does it quit running?
Ran good in cooler weather
Mechanical Edelbrock fuel pump
It is about 6 years old
New problem
Last thing I remember changing was thermostat

Does it quit running?
Doesn’t quit
It does ok after I let up off accelerator
It running about 200 degrees

Sure sounds fuel related, but make sure that coil isn't getting too hot.

Check the fuel lines and any hoses in the fuel line. A soft squishy hose is bad, a hose with a visible crack is bad, a rusty metal line is bad, (could have pin holes in it). The fuel lines and hoses don't have to have an actual fuel leak to be bad enough to cause an air leak into the system. The mechanical pump operates by sucking the fuel out of the tank, and delivering it to the carb. Anyplace air can get into the line can cause your problem., and that often shows up at higher RPMs.

Trash in the float bowl, or partially plugged fuel filters are problems (filters more likely then trash in the bowls, because it runs OK at lower RPM). I say filters because there may be one in the fuel line, and there may also be one at the carb inlet)

Might be worth the effort to test the volume the fuel pump can deliver. The pump has to deliver the proper fuel pressure, but it also has to deliver the proper fuel volume. If the pump volume is too low, it effects the higher RPM long term fuel supply the most.

Well I installed new filter , adjusted the carb again , put new fuel line on and at idle it’s running about 5 pounds of fuel pressure at the gauge in front of carb!
Drove about four miles yesterday and it still like it’s running out of fuel after those miles.
So I have ordered a new fuel pump , looked inside fuel tank . Tank looks clean! I have a regular Chevy HEI distributor so I’m am going to blow out fuel line to tank before I install new pump!
It’s running between 190 to 200 degrees at operating temperature.
So if it still does the smothering out after the new fuel pump install I will pull the carb and see what it looks like inside !

Sure sounds fuel related, but make sure that coil isn't getting too hot.

Check the fuel lines and any hoses in the fuel line. A soft squishy hose is bad, a hose with a visible crack is bad, a rusty metal line is bad, (could have pin holes in it). The fuel lines and hoses don't have to have an actual fuel leak to be bad enough to cause an air leak into the system. The mechanical pump operates by sucking the fuel out of the tank, and delivering it to the carb. Anyplace air can get into the line can cause your problem., and that often shows up at higher RPMs.

Trash in the float bowl, or partially plugged fuel filters are problems (filters more likely then trash in the bowls, because it runs OK at lower RPM). I say filters because there may be one in the fuel line, and there may also be one at the carb inlet)

Might be worth the effort to test the volume the fuel pump can deliver. The pump has to deliver the proper fuel pressure, but it also has to deliver the proper fuel volume. If the pump volume is too low, it effects the higher RPM long term fuel supply the most.
Do you think my braided steel fuel line to the tank could be bad ?

Do you think my braided steel fuel line to the tank could be bad ?
If they are old, they could still have a problem.
Easy enough to check. Disconnect it at the carb and see if it flows with the pump on.
Yes.
Well I installed new filter , adjusted the carb again , put new fuel line on and at idle it’s running about 5 pounds of fuel pressure at the gauge in front of carb!
Drove about four miles yesterday and it still like it’s running out of fuel after those miles.
So I have ordered a new fuel pump , looked inside fuel tank . Tank looks clean! I have a regular Chevy HEI distributor so I’m am going to blow out fuel line to tank before I install new pump!
It’s running between 190 to 200 degrees at operating temperature.
So if it still does the smothering out after the new fuel pump install I will pull the carb and see what it looks like inside !
Even if the pump has 5 pounds of pressure, it still has a certain amount of fuel it is suppose to pump as well. I've seen a lot of pumps that have plenty of fuel pressure, but only pump about 1/2 the amount of fuel you need. A good pump has to deliver an amount of fuel per minute at the correct pressure.

Also, be sure the tank is vented in some way so that a vacuum condition isn't being created when fuel is being drawn out. It could be as simple as a non vented cap meant for a newer car with an evap system. This ones easy to check by driving the car with the gas cap loose or off all together.

Latest posts

Back