Help and advice needed on frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

I bought a 50 Chevy truck project that was already started . It has a NOVA sub freame already grafted onto the 50 chassis . It is a super job and I want to keep it but I want to lower the truck plus run it fenderless . I have several ideas to make the A Arm suspension look better running it fenderless. I also want to shorten the wheel base and add a bobber type bed .

My questions are :

1. How can I lower the body so the rockers are aprox 8'' from the ground ? I really don't want to Z the frame . Without Zing , how low can I expect to lower it ?

2. The cab is off of the chassis now . However when I put it back on , I want to have the front wheels as far forward as possable . I like the extended look . Can I mount the cab a few inches furthur back on the frame and make new body mounts ?

I'm running a Chevy 250 six cylinder engine . With the Nova sub frame , can I move the engine back the same amount as I do the body ? I don't want a big void between the engine and the firewall .

I recently retired . Building a hot rod and driving across Route 66 was big on my bucket list . I haven't built a true hot rod since 1970 . A lot has changed since then . Also , I'm building this project with the infamous "fixed income " in mind .

Thank you all in advance for your help .

Gonzo

Moving the cab back on the frame, doesn't move the engine. So that would increase the space between the firewall, and engine. If you don't have motor mounts yet, then you could move the motor. Hard to move the wheels further out, with the suspension you have in the front. You could set the cab and engine back on the frame, but all the mounts would have to be re-done. You can lower the suspension. You could also channel the body over the frame. Both require quite a bit of fab work. You are almost starting over, since you are moving everything, and shortening the rear drive shaft length.

Bonehead ,

Setting the cab and the engine back was what I was meaning . I didn't want a big space between the engine and the firewall .

As Dirty Rat suggested , I could look for dropped spindles for the Nova SF . I really don't want to start over . I'm just exploring the posibilities of Being able to get the look I want with the Nova SF . I'm anxious to use the truck this summer .

meanwhile , I'll be working on a 2x4 tube chassis to put under it down the road . With this chassis at least I'll be able to have a ride while working on the chassis .

Thx Gonzo

I hear what your saying . I have gone both ways . I built a 47 AD PU with a Camaro clip . This was before I fell in love with the RATROD look . I thoroughly researched the ratrod thing and decided the look I wanted was wheels out front , dropped front axle , low to the ground , chopped top , no fenders and rear wheels up close to the back of the cab There is a reason so many rat rod trucks are built this way - " they just look good ". Not too many rods built with this "look" used stock frames with IFS . They just didn't look right too me with the wheels in the stock location . Speaking from my experience you can build the frame you want , one that will look right , easier and quicker than you can modify the existing frame . A good pair of shocks up front - after beating my self to death with cheap ones , I invested in some Billsteins - and the truck rides as good as it would with an IFS . Good luck with your build . I started with a grill , a cab and my power train and completed it in 5 months working on it nights and weekends . You can too .

Well the suspension can be lowered with springs and or drop spindes.The cab can be moved back with mods made to the mounts, steering,brake,fuel lines and wiring.Using a frame mount the motor and trans could be moved back with mods to the fuel,trans line,cooling hoses,wiring.For all that work I dont think you will get the look you want running fenderless with a small motor and a big IFS out front.Good luck on your build.

I think building the other frame now would be a better use of your time. Moving the cab and engine back while also shortening the frame will take as much time if not more time than building a proper frame for the look you want. There's a lot involved in "just" moving the engine and cab back which will render your ride un-drivable, for a lot longer than you think. If it currently runs, then you can enjoy it now while also building a new foundation...

If you're considering moving the cab and engine back, you are already looking at a bunch of fabrication work moving the mounts back so Z'ing the frame would be the easiest and cheapest option. Actually, you could stretch the frame some just with the Z section, then you'd only need to move the engine mounts back.
That being said, as has already been commented on, fenderless IFS is kinda fugly - seems like a lot of work to go get it mobile then just redo it in a few months - although I must admit the lure of the cruisin' the open roads is tough to resist...

Thank you readers for your responces ,

Believe me I'm read each and ecery one and I seem to have a different perspective now on my build . I think it was after viewing Sneeky Snakes build on his fenderless truck .

I seen Sneeky used IFS with air bags on his build . It appeared thet he didn't extend the IFS and cradle forward as well . As ZZ Rodder stated , it's hard to resist the open road freedom that a hot rod gives you . That's why I'm trying to expidite getting on the road before June .

As for now , I think I'll just pull the rear axle closer to the cab for the bobber look and lower the front suspenssion . I'll live with where the front wheels ride .

I don't want any of you to think this is contradictory to what you suggested . I'm just anxious to get on the road . That will leave me the peace of mind to build my chassis and be on the road at the same time .

Now , if you can bear with me one more time , what is the best way to lower the front suspenssion ?

1. Cut the coils a little at a time until the stance is right ?

2. Invest in a set of lowered spindles ?

it's been a long time since I've built a true hot rod . A lot has changed and many new concepts are in place . The bottom line is : I'm happy to be back .

Thx ,
Gonzo

Latest posts

Back