I'm becoming Mr, Fixit !!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Most of my life I have been guilty of just tossing something into the trash when it stops working, and buying a new one. Lots of stuff made today is just made to be disposable. But lately I have been actually repairing broken things and it feels pretty satisfying. For example:

* I bought a Milwaukee 1/2 inch drill at a flea market for $ 15. It is HUGE, much bigger than the 1/2 inch drill I already have and much slower. Great for holesaws. It needed a power cord because the old one was frayed. New one cost me $ 9 and 15 minutes work and now I have a super drill for $ 24.

* We have two Milwaukee 5 inch angle grinders that are about 8 years old. One of them started to not work and you had to tap it on the workbench to get it to run. It finally stopped altogether. My Son tossed it in the trash and said we would have to get a new one, which is over $100. I sat down and pulled it apart and found the brushes were worn completely away. Went on line, got the part numbers, ordered them, and $6 later I had them in and the grinder works like brand new. :)

* Our washing machine stopped agitating so I went on line and found there are 4 little clutchdogs in the agitator that go bad. Went to the local appliance parts place and $ 8 later I had the parts I needed. Took me another 15 minutes and the washer runs great. Saved me a service call.

* The single lever faucet on our kitchen sink started to drip when shut off. I have been adjusting it for a year but it kept getting worse. Called Moen, gave them the model number, and they said there is a lifetime warranty on them. They sent me the parts free and about a half hour later I had them in and it drips no more ! [cl

* The washer machine stopped draining water out so I got on the net and found how to check the lid safety switch. Turned out it was bad from getting wet, so I picked up a new one for $12 and got it to work like it should.

* We were changing the air filter in my daily driver and we cracked the air mass sensor housing by accident. Cadillac wanted $ 240 for the part, but I went to a local pick and pull and found the entire housing and mass sensor for $20.

So, I am starting to really enjoy not throwing something that is perfectly good away when a simple fix may get it working again plus saving me money at the same time. This is the way our Fathers used to do things and maybe something we have forgotten how to do. The nice thing is that you can go on the internet and find instructions and even YouTubes on how to repair almost anything.

Don

Either that or spending so much time building awesome rods, and the honey-do list piled up? heh heh

There is something super satisfying about fixing it yourself, that is for certain!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Maybe keep the handy part to yourself. If word gets out, you'll be "busy" 24/7. :D

See thats how hording begins.You begin to keep broke stuff to fix other broke stuff and before long you have a whole lot of broke stuff waiting on something to break so you can fix it,LOL ;)

My wife's friends think it must be great having a husband that can fix things around the house. They are probably right but doing that kind of work for a living my house gets neglected. Keep up the good work Don.

HAHA, I guess being retired has a lot to do with it, now that you mention it ! :D Retirement affects it two ways. I have lots of time, and I can't afford to buy new stuff ! :eek:

But I am pretty proud of myself that my repairs actually worked ! :D

Don

Good job Emmit!

The other great thing about the internet is you can actually find that little piece you need after you figure out what broke.

Well, thats great Don. Thats what my wifes been wanting me to do....fix this, fix that. Then I wont have time to work on my truck, what do you do??go and show us all up! Great, next time she gives me a honey do list I'll mail it to ya! what's your address???:p

Look guys, I can't help it. Your wives secretly pay me to do this stuff so they can point the finger at you and say "If that dumb*** Don can do it, so can you !"

When you are on fixed income you have to make extra money wherever you can. :p

Don

Good for you Don, saves money and fills time :)
Been fixing stuff most of my life.
You gotta watch it or you end up with mountains of handy stuff to fix up. :D
Once a year I go through all the goodies and turf most of it so I can start collecting junk again :)

I fix almost anything I can too. I've used Dewalt grinders for years, have about 6-7 running ones and a couple more that need fixed and a few for parts. Funny thing is I have Snap-on, Black and Decker, Sears and Harbour freight and they all use the same parts as the Dewalt.
I have got 4 compressors from the city dump iron pile and got every one of them running without even buying parts. Same with riding mowers, 4 of them from the dump and everyone of them was capable of running. Also a couple good bench grinders that only needed new switches.
I go through a trailer dealers scrap trailer every so often and once there was 2 five gallon buckets of air tools. I got most of them working and gave them away, except for the 1/2" IR thunder gun and a Siuox die grinder that I kept for myself.. The IR cost me a $35 kit but it's about a $400 impact wrench.
So please don't stop throwing good stuff away, I don't want people to fix their own stuff.

Good for you, can save lots of $$ that way..

I guess I've just always been that way..I don't throw much away without at least attempting to "fix" it first..Most of the time it works out, but sometimes not..my wife just rolls her eyes..Bad part is relatives think I can make or fix anything, so never know what is going to show up..:D:D

A friend of mine is a welder, gave me two big 9" Milwaukee angle grinders that were "wore out"..15 bucks worth of new brushes and I have $400 worth of like new grinders..

Look guys, I can't help it. Your wives secretly pay me to do this stuff so they can point the finger at you and say "If that dumb*** Don can do it, so can you !"

When you are on fixed income you have to make extra money wherever you can. :p

Don

:D:D:D

I have always had to fix stuff myself, couldn't afford to take it to a shop. I had a good teacher, my dad with the same way he could fix just about anything. I will either fix it or fix it
so that it cannot be fixed!

Latest posts

Back