Just can't buy quality anymore...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

when it comes to HVAC systems apparently. 7 years ago I bought a 1925 house with window units, and had central AC/heat pump installed. Well it's broken twice in 2 weeks recently and apparently the entire system is dead or dying....7 years.

I've had several guys out to look at it and they are all saying the same. I have a major short in the reversing valve, which also took out a transformer. About $1200 for those 2 items. The inside blower is on the way out, with loose bearings ($950). The compressor is drawing twice the amps it should so it's dying, will burn up soon ($???). Hard to believe. It's not even a crappy builder-grade system, but a middle-of-the-road decent brand (RUUD).

Talking to the HVAC guy, he says just like every appliance that used to be good (Maytag, Kenmore, etc), it's all junk nowadays unless you go really high-end like Trane. Crap.

My grandfather used to say "Always buy the best and you'll never be disappointed".

He was right, I would rather spend the money upfront and have the best than to pay the same in repairs and such and still have junk.

This can also be caused by electrical glitches & or lightening strikes. It turns the unit off & it comes right back on & that can play havoc with them & even blow u're compressor. I've seen this happen a lot in my biz & always have a delay on my unit. It will not restart for 30 sec. This gives the unit time to settle down & is cheap & easy to install. We had 3 lightening strikes within a few seconds at my office & it blew my A/C, stove, microwave & the NIC card in 80% of the computers in the office. After that I had everything super grounded as well.

BoB

My grandfather used to say "Always buy the best and you'll never be disappointed".

He was right, I would rather spend the money upfront and have the best than to pay the same in repairs and such and still have junk.

I buy cheap and am always disappointed. I am getting better at jerry rigging though. fabbed up my own bracket and industrial bearing in my clothes drier and was able to fix my 6 year old furnise myself this year. It makes sence that the more you pay the better you get but I think there is a lot more junk out there then in the past.

when it comes to HVAC systems apparently. 7 years ago I bought a 1925 house with window units, and had central AC/heat pump installed. Well it's broken twice in 2 weeks recently and apparently the entire system is dead or dying....7 years.

I've had several guys out to look at it and they are all saying the same. I have a major short in the reversing valve, which also took out a transformer. About $1200 for those 2 items. The inside blower is on the way out, with loose bearings ($950). The compressor is drawing twice the amps it should so it's dying, will burn up soon ($???). Hard to believe. It's not even a crappy builder-grade system, but a middle-of-the-road decent brand (RUUD).

Talking to the HVAC guy, he says just like every appliance that used to be good (Maytag, Kenmore, etc), it's all junk nowadays unless you go really high-end like Trane. Crap.
Has your wiring been upgraded? Almost sounds like low amperage too :(

Jim

When my water heater went out, it was original to the house, like 50 years old. Got a new water heater and eight years later, it leaked. Called a plumber out, first thing he said was, "I bet it's 8 years old". I said yes, how did you know. He said they are designed to last only 8 years.

Recently replaced the entire AC unit at my house. My AC guy told me all the stuff made these days is crap. He's about to retire after being in the AC business for about 35 years. He said he's tired of constantly replacing defective and poorly made parts. Very sad - just like cars used to be - planned obsolescence :(

"you can't buy quality anymore" - never could...always had to do it myself.

sounds like a ripoff on those valves the whole heat pump system shouldn't cost over 2k new... wait.,..I forgot bush and obama just trippled the money supply and handed it all to foreign banks and special interests. if you would have bought 1200 worth of gold 5 years ago you could trade it for a new unit today.

look around for the parts online and fix it yourself. hardest part is going to find a guy with the refrigerant to charge it up. those $1200 parts are probably online for $300 if you look hard enough. the Chinese arn't going to let anything not get copykatted theres a cheap version of everything.
Why not? the guy charging you $1200 is putting a $900 decal on a $300 part. everythign is re branded cheap crap....everything even top of the line. top of the line just has better design warrantee and quality control but it still all cheap to start with.
RUUD? they dont make anything all they do is put on a plaid jacket , grab a breath freshener and sell a $300 part for $1200

those $1200 parts are probably online for $300 if you look hard enough. the Chinese arn't going to let anything not get copykatted theres a cheap version of everything.
Why not? the guy charging you $1200 is putting a $900 decal on a $300 part. everythign is re branded cheap crap....everything even top of the line. top of the line just has better design warrantee and quality control but it still all cheap to start with.
RUUD? they dont make anything all they do is put on a plaid jacket , grab a breath freshener and sell a $300 part for $1200

Exactly. Sad, but true :(

My first job out of school was at an HVAC distributor, so I know more than most. We sold York, but every brand except Trane all has the same crap inside. Either a Bristol or Copeland compressor, 2 main brands of motors, same or similar control boards, etc, etc.

And yes, the markup on that stuff was 50% to the homeowner. Unfortunately, venting freon into the atmosphere is a $25,000 fine, and working on the refrigerant side of these systems without a license is illegal. Additionally, the neighbor that reports you gets $10,000 awarded to them for the tip!! Any yes, mine was just old enough to have freon.

Good luck finding any A/C guy to charge up a system that you soldered up yourself.

"Federal law dictates that a fine of up to $25,000 may be levied on people convicted of venting refrigerant into the atmosphere. Additionally, the EPA may pay up to $10,000 for information or services leading to a criminal conviction of the violation of these laws."

Good luck finding any A/C guy to charge up a system that you soldered up yourself.
plenty guys willing to do A/C charge stuff. I know several guys out of work with equipment...

"Federal law dictates that a fine of up to $25,000 may be levied on people convicted of venting refrigerant into the atmosphere. Additionally, the EPA may pay up to $10,000 for information or services leading to a criminal conviction of the violation of these laws."

Ooooops...damnn! hit the line with my lawn mower! now I got to call and get it recharged! hahahaha! see above^

Ooooops...damnn! hit the line with my lawn mower! now I got to call and get it recharged! hahahaha! see above^

Heheheh, don't think I haven't thought about it! Hey since it's broke anyway, I'll just solder in a new valve I happened to have laying around. :cool:

I'm sure it happens all the time.

check the pawnshops for a vacuum pull down pump. why vent valuable Freon into the atmosphere? that stuff is like over $60 a gallon.

Appliances

Was talking to my brother lately. He bought his current home ten years ago. This past year he has replaced every major appliance, and parts of the HVAC system too.

"They don't make them like they used to." Who is 'they' these days, anyway??

44s0horty

Latest posts

Back