mock up frame out of wood

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybird819

I seen where someone used 2x4 lumber to mock up a frame. I can't find the thread and I'm sure it was ronsrods and I've searched with no luck.

Was it regular 2x4 or was it oak or something planed down to actual 2x4? I know 2x4 from the box store isn't actually 2x4

If I where to use regular 2x4 and always comp for the diff and pull all measurement from outside of rails how far eff'd would I be when it came time for the real rails?

About a 1/2" ef'd in both directions. Use it to get your proportions and height near where you want it. Then draw on paper the true dimensions to make sure it'll all work out. Not every 2x4 is exactly the same size and on top of that, you'll always have a little warping and twisting.

Yes I ment donsrods. So I'm assuming its a special wood planed down to 2x4 ?

I still can't find the posts where he talks bout it. Maybe its on kb. I know hes here too.

If you are that concerned about it, either find someone local to saw you real 2x4'sbusy or rip some plywood to beef up your Home Depot 2x4's to true size.

You aren't shooting for the mockup wood frame to be dimensionally the same as what the steel one will be, all you are doing is trying to get a general idea of how much room you need to leave for the engine and stuff like that. I just use 2 x 4's from Home Depot and after I mock it up I sit back and see how I like the look. If I need to, I cut a little more off until I get the proportions I need.

It also allows you to kinda plan how high your kickup has to be, how wide the frame will be, and stuff like that. So don't worry that your 2 x 4's aren't exactly the same as the steel because you won't be duplicating them exactly anyway.

BTW, 3 inch drywall screws and some of those steel reinforcing plates Home Depot sells for attic trusses work great for putting the mockup frame together.

Don

This one isn't mine but it will give you the general idea.

woodframe.jpg

Last edited:
Hey thanks don. I didnt realize u wernt at scale when u did it. But makes sense for what u needed to accomplish.

Yeah, doing a wood mockup simply gives you a clearer picture of what the real frame will look like and if you will have enough room for engine, radiator, etc. Nice thing is, wood is so easy to modify and move around to get the look you are after, before you commit to steel.

Don

Latest posts

Back