Oil leak

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

35Mastr

Mastr Blastr
have an early style SBC.Two piece rear main.The crank is good and there is no thrust bearing play.I have replaced the rear main seal already 2 times in the last two or so years and it is leakin again.Now it just drops a good size puddle when I pull it into the shop.Looks like it is leakin steady from the drips in the garage.I used a fel Pro Seal the last time.All neopreme.

Any suggestions on how I can do it just one more time without taking this motor out and using it as an anchor.

Thanks in advance

George, I always install the two piece rear main seals with the parting line of the seals canted into the seat about 1/4 of an inch. In other words, the block half of the seal is sticking out of the block on one end and down in the block on the other end, with the main cap half of the seal installed to match. That way, the parting line of the seal halves is not aligned with the with seam of the main cap and block. the I can't remember where I learned to do that and don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I have not had one leak or had any other issues.

Latest posts

Back