Self Locking Nuts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
I am using grade 8 bolts throughout, which, as you know, are not cheap. My questions is are self locking or if you will, nylock nuts a one time use or can or should they be used again if you take a piece apart?

I know this may seem a bit trite but just wanted your opinions.

Thanks

They can be reused,but will eventually lose their effectiveness.

I wouldn't hesitate to reuse them once or twice.

More than that,you might have a problem.

Yeah, I remove and replace them a few times and they still hold fine. They say one time only, but they work for more times than that.

Don

On my current build, I have everything sitting loose with the nuts just started. In the end I'll tighten them down, and that will be the first use of the threads on the nyloc nuts. I figure they will be good for a few more times.

DR....thought of a good slogan

For the Smith Fastener Company.....

"If you can't find your nuts, Call Smith Fastener Company" :D

Sorry :eek: Thanks for the links.....

I have never had one shake off after a few uses. I have a strong hate for split lock washers and will only use flat an washers and nylocks or lock tite.

Surprisingly, Ace Hardware carries a nice selection of grade 8 bolts, nuts, washers, etc, but they are much more expensive than going to a place like Fastenal or (here in Ft Myers) Florida Fastener.

Don

I hate Stover nuts and and these other steel nuts I call pinch nuts. They will rip the threads off a bolt when you remove them the first time. Speedway sents them with many of thier kits, I thro em in the trash and use Nylok nuts or standard nuts with Loctite, Love Loctite!!...:)

Attachments

• a bucket 067 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 067 (Small).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 7
Those "pinch nuts" cost me a cylinder head job! That's what was on my Vette's rocker studs that backed off and let the self aligning rockers shift, wearing out some guides and causing a keeper to come out and let a valve drop. I don't know how many times they had been reused before I got the car. I replaced the rockers with a set of rollers and the nuts with poly locks.

If I run across another set on one of my engines, I'll replace them, too.

I've been using nylock nuts for more years than I care to remember and never had had one come loose. Contrary to popular myth, they also are reusable. Someone posted one time that they worked for the company that makes them and they said they are good for a whole bunch of times.

Don

I only use grade C lock nuts for the important things like suspension links, and seat belts

There the only way to go if you don't want loose nuts rattling and chaffing.

Kurt

I can see how that could be, but I have SS nylocks on my header flanges and I have uncorked and recapped them a hundred times and they still hold tight each time. But I guess in a critical place, like suspension, that could be an issue.

Don

Latest posts

Back