Tig/Plasma Combos?? Anyone?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPO

Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...
Does anyone own, or have at least used or even seen one of these tig plasma combos? I know they are all Chinese made but I have never actually heard anything about them. Some input would be nice, im shopping around for a welder, and prefer tig and cant really find a reasonably priced name brand tig machine

Thanks for your input

Here are some that are currently on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANTTECH-200-A...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/40A-LOTOS-PLASM...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Purifion-CT-416...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

All JUNK
Yer thrown yer money away
Buy American-
That's why this econmy is where it's @ today.
Everybody shoppin @ Wally World and buyin offshore CRAP!!!
Sorry--- Just lettin off a little steam and tellin it like it is.:mad::mad::mad:

I've got a tig and a plasma cutter from here:

http://www.parkermetalworking.com/

They are a US based company that imports machines that are assembled in the US. I've called them a number of times and always talk to the owner or his son (no machine thank god). I've used the Tig a little bit, just learning, but the plasma cutter has been going strong for over a year cutting up to 1/4" steel. I was going to get a combo but it was only about an extra $150 to get both and shipping was only $60 to Canada.

I can't afford the US products even though I would like to buy a Miller. I paid $450 for my plasma cutter so I can buy 6 of them to equal one Miller with the same capacity.

Sean

a buddy got one of the Chinese ones on ebay for $350. piecs of junk, worked for two weeks then went totally dead, if you can't afford a good one, save up till you can, i have a Miller plasma, it's awesome but, not cheap.... you'll never regret buying good equipment, it'll last you a lifetime.....

They are cheap but you get what you pay for.Those machines are usually replaced with newer better technoligy units before they usually die.

Making it hard to get consumables and parts for.You should really buy an American made unit.

Miller and Lincoln Electric are not going anywhere any time soon and will have all your needs for the life of the unit.

Plus they have a track record for many years of taking a beating out in the field without any major issues for the consumer.

If you cant afford a new unit.Look for refurbed or used ones.You wont be dissapointed in buying a good American made welder or plasma cutter.

I found my plasma cutter at a pawn shop. It was a great deal and the unit was brand new. I paid $350 for the box and it retailes for over $750.

This is a tough question to answer as well. Logic can only dictate what you need for your projects at home. There are several avenues to take in purchasing your needs. Combo units are good, but only if you purchase the correct unit. I have a friend who purchased a Lincoln combo unit a couple years age. It was over $3,500 when every thing was paid for. He justified this setup cause he had planed to use this set up at least 10 hours per week every month and was going to farm out his talents for the community as a lite fixit shop in his community.

He purchased a 3-phase welder and had to pay for the proper single phase converter to a 3-phase hook up in his home shop. This was an additional $1,800 spent in a custom electrical hook up for the welder. His total bill before he even was able to start welding was close to $7,000.

If you plan on doing a great deal of welding, then a heavy duty industrial is the way to go. Other wise it is only logical to purchase what you actually need for your neccessities in your home shop. Usually about this time of the year, Miller and Lincoln distributors are trying to move out the last couple year models on discount sales. Last year I came across a Miller 180c/220V hookup for less then $700.00. This included a nice heavy duty cart along with a couple 10lb spools of 0.035 wire. Couldn't pass up the deal.

TIG units are more money for the real good stuff. I have seen combo ARC/TIG units for around $500. You could get a less expensive one from H.F. to practice on and work your way up a top of the line unit.
The 220V/130TIG/90ARC combo is only $300.00 and the TIG inverter system is only $500.00.

It depends on what you really need. The combo TIG/ARC buzz box is a good starting point to learn and gain perfection on your talants. It only makes sense to invest into something as a training tool before you spend the big bucks on a more priceier unit. The HF combo might not be a Miller or Lincoln, but for the price compaired to the actual needs, it out wieghs either one of them in my book. For one thing I don't have the extra cash to lay out and justify such a purchase, and I don't have the time to farm out my services to let it help pay for the cost of such a unit. For those of you who have the funds to justufy such a thing, good for you.:D

Maximo

Well thanks for your input guys, im going to have to toss this one around for a bit and decide what to do. I have a power supply Lincoln V300 that i may just set up as a mig with aux wire feed, I have been told that this is a very good power supply. I just prefer a tig welder because im better at laying cosmeticly good welds with a tig than i am a mig, thats just because i have spent more time tig welding than i have mig. The only problem i see with a real nice used tig, such as a miller syncrowave which is what i use at work is they are so huge and and shop space is limited. I need to decided soon, spring will be here soon and i need to get moving on the frame.

That power su-ply unit you bought at the auction is a very dependable unit. The auxillary units work well too. We have 4 of them in our wleding shop at work, plus 2 big a$$ TIG units that simply rock. The tigs are 3-phase and can run nearly 8 hours with out any hickups. External cooling units keep the little giants in good working order.
Does your PS have an external hookup for a cooling barge?
If so, I would reccomend for you to purchas one as soon as you can afford it, they make the world of difference for long hours of welding.
Especially for your TIG setup.
Good luck and have fun with your new toy.:D

Maximo

I hope you got the Tig Module with that power source.They are very pricy.I have a lead on V350 pro.I can get it for 500.00.But it is just the power source without anything else.

The modules are from 1100.00 and up.Machine will be useless for Tig unless you have it.

I hope you got the Tig Module with that power source.They are very pricy.I have a lead on V350 pro.I can get it for 500.00.But it is just the power source without anything else.

The modules are from 1100.00 and up.Machine will be useless for Tig unless you have it.

No i don't have the module the power supply was given to me, im not even sure what unit will work with it. I went to a welding supply place and he gave me a blank stare, but did eventually come up with an LN7 as a wire feeder that i can hook up to it, but i would still prefer tig, however if i can find a good ln7 with the gas option cause a lot of them didn't have it i will probably just go that route. he qupted me 2200 for the wire feeder new.. Outch

Yes,Those power sources are really nice units.But it will be alot cheaper to get a unit that you can start welding with right from the get go.

You may get lucky and find alot of that stuff at auctions.

Latest posts

Back