Water In Oil

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
Milkshake002.jpg

I finally got the slant six together in my dragster. Started it and it ran fine. Later I noticed a small trickle of water running down the outside of the block starting at the head gasket.
Pulled the dipstick and found mucho water in the oil. Apparently the very old NOS steel shim head gasket didn't make a good seal.

The question is; what steps should I take to remove as much oil/water mixture as necessary from the lower end?

Ouch!!!

What a bummer.......that crap is all thru the motor.....I'd flush it manually as best as possible after you pull the head...get it buttoned up then run new oil for a short run and drain until you don't see any coffee sludge rolling out....could take 2 or three changes...and as many filters....what a drag...:(

I pulled the pan and there was half a quart of oil/water mix that doesn't come out with the drain plug removed. Cleaned all that out. Wiped down the bottom end. Cleaned the lifers, pushrods and rocker arm assemblies. With the oil filter removed it looks like I can spin the engine over and purge the mixture out of the oil pump. I'll put some oil in tomorrow and warm it up and drain it.

I reversed the front pan seal and that should cure the oil leak. These slant sixes are different than the small block Chevys that I've worked on all my life.

Hoping to run the car for the first time since it got an automatic trans and the healthier engine, this Saturday. The local (100 miles) 1/8 mile track is having a couple nostalgia Funny Cars and some of the Geezer Gasser contingent coming up for a show. A rarity around here. I like to run Test and Tune earlier in the day and stay for the show.
DragsterShots005.jpg

Sorry to hear of your difficulties and I hope it works out for you. Good luck this weekend and if you're not TOO busy, wrangle a few pics for us!

That thing should be an absolute rush to drive.....

Good luck with getting her there and down the track.....we'll be waiting for some pic's....[P

Latest posts

Back