'40 ford truck-"the rat tire burner"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2345.coupe

'40 ford truck cab
'48 ford f-1 frame
early ford pos, 4:11 rear
'83 ford 300 inline 6
4sp, granny first gear.......
starting to z the frame...also removed a frozen kingpin....getting the spindle re-bushed.......

using 1/4" steel plates.......my cardboard template wasn't perfect but I can make it work. Started to tack on the reinforcing framing plates. It's a slow process but I want to get it right. Measure,measure,measure......

brought my spindle to a small engine repair shop...was rebushed and pin fits in snug in both bushings and can be pushed out by hand....real nice job...worth the $25 bucks I paid him......

I tell you what, after fighting with doing the kingpins on my axle, I know you are feeling good about having yours done!

for sure.......

Nice That's the way that they are supposed to fit. Too many people force them in.
In the old Ford manuals it is called "Palm Fit".

Got to do both sides of my 41 axle. Both siezed up:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Torchie.

Nice That's the way that they are supposed to fit. Too many people force them in.
In the old Ford manuals it is called "Palm Fit".

Got to do both sides of my 41 axle. Both siezed up:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Torchie.
yea, this one was seized also, I tried a kingpin press but it didn't budge it, besides the push rods were too large. So, I used a roloc sanding disc and ground the top flange of the kingpin off, heated the axle and with a narrowed,filled down, old kingpin, my buddy pounded the seized one out.
I've seen a ball joint "puller" used to take kingpins out. My buddy said another way to remove them is cut the bearing out and cut the pin in half with a cutting torch.That way you have two small pins to deal with. Easier to drive out. Oh yea, I packed mystery oil soaked rags around the pin and bushings..that might of helped a little.haha

got the front of the frame all welded in. Welds aren't a "roll of dimes" but they'll hold. Changed my mind for the back of the truck. Gonna make it a bobber, no box. just the z, model a rear spring ,gas tank, and big red stop light. Gonna use a 9" early bronco rear, 4:11 gears.....
The extra tire is where I think the bronco rear should be located. The cab is sitting on the frame rails and has to be channeled at least 12"-18" over the frame.That will bring the z to the middle of the cab. With the gas tank mounted on the top of the z , you should be able to see out the back window. That's the plan.

got the front of the frame all welded in. Welds aren't a "roll of dimes" but they'll hold. Changed my mind for the back of the truck. Gonna make it a bobber, no box. just the z, model a rear spring ,gas tank, and big red stop light.

What! Change your mind in the middle of a build?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I dig the bobber look. Especialy on the earlier styled cabs.
May have to build one myself some day.
Looking good.
Torchie.

im really into this build I myself own 2 vehicles with the 300-6 ones a 69 f-100 with a fresh rebuild and a Frankenstein bronco great engines but your going to want to muffle the exhaust somehow they are LOUD straight piped or with open headers louder than any sbc I have ever heard lol

got the front of the frame all welded in. Welds aren't a "roll of dimes" but they'll hold. Changed my mind for the back of the truck. Gonna make it a bobber, no box. just the z, model a rear spring ,gas tank, and big red stop light.

What! Change your mind in the middle of a build?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I dig the bobber look. Especialy on the earlier styled cabs.
May have to build one myself some day.
Looking good.
Torchie.
thanks man......that's the great thing about building a modified, you can do what you want and change direction,your mind, if need be.

im really into this build I myself own 2 vehicles with the 300-6 ones a 69 f-100 with a fresh rebuild and a Frankenstein bronco great engines but your going to want to muffle the exhaust somehow they are LOUD straight piped or with open headers louder than any sbc I have ever heard lol
Yea 38,thanks.....don't be surprised if later down the road in my build you get a pm from me about "setting up" the 300-6........

Latest posts

Back