1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think paint on it would be a good thing,its too nice not to paint it in my opinion..
I was up kinda your way last week, didn't get to see much though..Flew into Ohare, spent most of two days at the DMG/Mori Seiki headquarters in Hoffman Estates, back on the plane and home..LOL

I'm building a rat out of a ton and half dodge and I was just wondering if you used the front axle that came off the stock truck? Did you turn the hole thing around backwards to get the tie rods out front or what?

I'm building a rat out of a ton and half dodge and I was just wondering if you used the front axle that came off the stock truck? Did you turn the hole thing around backwards to get the tie rods out front or what?

Yes it is the original axle, no I did not just turn the whole thing around, you can not do that...it will screw up all the steering geometry.

I flipped the tie rod to the front and then had to re work the steering arms, as the ackerman angle will be all messed up when you move it to the front

Google ackerman angle or even search the forums here and you will find the info to explain it, but basically its the way that the inside tire turns sharper than the outside tire in a turn.

If you can avoid putting the tie rod out in front I would recommend it, as it will save you from a bunch of headache.

Basically finished up the floor.. pretty pleased with how it came out. Other than that lots and lots of finish welding... Spent a lot of time filling all the holes I don't need in the grill shell... also trying to sort out my alternator bracket/power steering pump mounts.. I have some issues with getting it all to work out, not entirely sure how I am going to yet.

What I really need, but don't think they make it, is an offset pulley for my power steering pump so that I can run it off the grove in my crank pulley that is closer to the block

5d6ad080.jpg

409fe787.jpg

BaWhat I really need, but don't think they make it, is an offset pulley for my power steering pump so that I can run it off the grove in my crank pulley that is closer to the block

the power steering belt is supposed to run off the inner pulley. If it isnt lining up then you have mismatched parts some how.

the power steering belt is supposed to run off the inner pulley. If it isnt lining up then you have mismatched parts some how.

I have both a long water pump and a short water pump set up and I can't get anything to work out right... I think my root problem is my engine is too low in my frame prove ting me from getting the power steering pump lower... Right now my only option is terrible looking because either the alternator or the power steering pump has to be so far to the outside that it is outside the grill shell when looking from the front...

Not sure what I am going to do yet... I may raise my engine in the front I think I can squeeze another inch or two out of the front before it affects anything I have built... I will probably Only do it if I can come up with a simple solution... However I have to watch if I go to steep on the engine I may bind my driveshaft when it is laid out...

One other possibility would be to run the alternator up high, but I don't like that look either...

Problems problems problems...

Dirty rat..Thats basically what I am attempting to do.. except that I was going to run the alternator off the outside pulley and the power steering pump off the grove 1 closer to the block. The bracket I have for the alternator puts it on the outside grove with the long water pump...

But in order to achieve this I would still need some sort of offset pulley for the power steering pump...

I need to look at it again.. but I swear nothing is ever easy!

search around in the junk yards for a LT1 corvette or Impala P/S pump. it has a seperate resivoir but is basically the same pump. You can swap the pully over to the V belt one you have but the pump itself is narrower due to not having the resivoir attached to it. Then you can pop the res up on the front of the head. I still say you are missing spacers or have mismatched mounts and pullies. A short W/P setup put the pully flat on the balancer. The longs had them spaced out a little. Or maybe you have SBC and BBC stuff mixed together. just my $.02

Dirty rat..Thats basically what I am attempting to do.. except that I was going to run the alternator off the outside pulley and the power steering pump off the grove 1 closer to the block. The bracket I have for the alternator puts it on the outside grove with the long water pump...

But in order to achieve this I would still need some sort of offset pulley for the power steering pump...

I need to look at it again.. but I swear nothing is ever easy!

it's not easy ur right, but the pay off is so sweet !!!!:D:D

little bit to update...

The air suspension fairy came..
41570d81.jpg

So I figured out where I was going to mount the tank, and got it mounted, it will basically be hidden when the gas tank is on. As you can see dis-assembly has started the bed has come off and wont go back on till the frame is painted and I have decided what to do with the body..
5932e041.jpg

I also think I sorted out my belt/bracket problem, I ended up with a long water pump which will put the alternator on the outside large pulley and I designed my own power steering pump which should get it lined up on the second pulley...

cardboard.. (its kinda goofy looking)
c10d06b7.jpg

then I cut one out of some thin wood, because its going to take me a while to whittle this guy out of 1/4" plate so I figured I should verify it would work... I couldn't tension the long belts I had laying around and take the picture but you guys get the idea.

the picture looks deceiving ....it looks like its on a heavy angle but its really not...
4b6dc911.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I made a little bit of progress this weekend...

Here is the bracket made from steel
15abbb96.jpg

Here it is installed.. I will need to get a pretty short belt... in this picture it is swung all the way in the tension-ing slot. You can also see how I modified my alternator bracket, it was set up to mount to a boss on the intake manifold, My manifold did not have that prevision so I cut it off and mounted it across to a different hole
4ba2a6d4.jpg

b614ef40.jpg

CORPO I really like the ps bracket, but it would cause me a little concern with how little contact the belt has for the water pump!! You may not have a problem but it would be something I would keep an eye on!!
Keep it up!![cl[cl

Rainman- I'll watch it, but it shouldn't be a problem, my dad ran this set up, unmodified of course for 20 years on his 57, when he redid it he wanted the alternator on the driver side so he didn't use that bracket set up. I'm fairly certain it's a stock set up and belt routing from the early 70's (cameros...?)

Those brackets look slick CORPO. I hear what rainman is saying but I've had minimal belt contact situations before and it didn't cause me any problems.

well guys... im still here.. welding welding and welding.. with some diss-assembly in between..

Only having a tig welder means I am slow.. and I have limited weld angles I had the cab in all sorts of weird angles this weekend... its amazing how much space a disassembled vehicle takes up... parts in the garage... parts in the attic.. parts in the basement.. parts in my child hood bed room.. thanks mom and dad.. ! haha

b3d815d9.jpg

cd4c3722.jpg

Added a lot of steel to the cab... but its surprisingly still not to heavy..
404c360b.jpg

Latest posts

Back