1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man this guy is SLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWW....

finished plumbing the brakes.. ended up complex with the routing and fittings needed, residual valves..adjustable block.. and the shananagins with the hydrobooster.. but its done...time for fluid...

ordered custom braided for the front end.. was quite dissappointed when it showed up with there logo on that black band in the center.. i may still call and complain

then i got this going on.. arrrrrrggggg so many wires

chipping away........

Alright guys I have a problem... I think I know whats going on but figured I will get some other opinions..

Tried to bleed the brakes this weekend. filled the dual reservoir and began to bleed the system. It didn't take very long to get fluid to the front wheels, however I cant get fluid to the rears...

so the problems...
- cant get fluid to the rears
- once there was fluid to the fronts I would loose all stroke in the pedal.. lets say for discussion full pedal movement is 4" but after I got fluid to the front cylinders it was maybe 1/2" movement to lock up the wheels...

I drained the fluid back out of the front lines and preceded to only try to fill the rear line.. after much pumping I still didnt get any fluid into the lines, only successful in creating bubbles in the master cylinder that would come up in the front reservoir which didnt have fluid in it????

So I think my master cylinder is bad.. hence not getting fluid to the rear wheels.. but the pedal thing has me slightly perplexed unless the master cylinder not functioning correctly is keeping the pressure in the lines???

I do have residual valves and an adjustable per-portioning block ... can these be causing problems for me?

The master cylinder appeared to be working correctly when it was on the bench.. but maybe not... i dunno...

thoughts.. suggestions???

Truck is coming along......not to worry....

As for the brakes....are you sure that you've got a Disc brake M/C? Not all dual resevior M/C's are for Disc....may have another residual valve in M/C......that being said....as for the rears? could have a wicked air pocket in the lines...not common....I'd break all the fittings loose one at a time .....I'd work my way back from the M/C looking for fluid at that fitting..then move to the next and so on.......JMHO....:D

Check your pushrod for adjustment and free play. If it can't return fully, the transfer ports are blocked so it can't draw any more fluid.

Duh...Or that!!! lol...

Guess that would be a big #1 first on the check list.....:D Thanks Doc....Lord knows I need someone to keep me thinking straight.... :D

Check the rod between the booster and the master I had the same problem with a brand new booster/master assembly, blowing bubbles but not able to build pressure - the rod was completely missing ! The proper rod is adjustable but I made my own.

thanks guys, Ill check that out.. I get full travel on the booster (hydrobooster) but had not thought to check and see if the rod was fully pushing the master cylinder.. although Im not sure there is any adjustment.. we will find out..

when installing the residual valves.. the "IN" side is from the master with the out being to the wheels? Correct???

From what I can tell it is in the annoying "why the heck is it not working the way it should" stage right before it is ready to drive.

The hard work is all done. This too shall pass. Keep after it till you are "finished".

[P

Got any updated pics, I just picked up a 36 and a 38 cab. I want one to be a dually and yours looks great.

Nope unfortunately life has been busy... Hoping to find some time over thanksgiving to get the brake situation figured out

Thanks eman! I know I have said it before, but I mean it this time... I hope to have it on the road next summer

Latest posts

Back