1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a world of difference in the then and now of this truck.
You've done good.
I never realized your start date was back then. No point is getting in a hurry
and rushing things. LOL.!

Yeah picked it up the last week of October, as you see in the photo took it apart in November... Didn't free up space to really start working on it till this thread started in May 2009

I'm slow what can I say... No worries though... I will finish it

Yeah picked it up the last week of October, as you see in the photo took it apart in November... Didn't free up space to really start working on it till this thread started in May 2009

I'm slow what can I say... No worries though... I will finish it

And it's gonna be sweet when you do. I'm going to finish one some day too!

Corpo! Most AWESOME build man! I am currently doing a 1952 Ford F3 with all custom frame and Super Single 42 1/4" tall rear tires! Chopped 4" and cut the bottom out 7" up! Lol! Yeah it's short and squatty with massive rear! Kinna like some girls I know! JK!

Anyhow. I want to use the original dropped front I-beam and I saw yours in a google search for using airbags with a solid I-beam front suspension.

Question I have is do you have any drawings for the front brackets you made that bolt to the front spring perch? I would seriously pay you for a copy of those mounts! I am using Dominator 2500Lb bags for the front.

Let me know if you have the patterns for the mounts.

When I get a bit further along I am going to start a build thread on here too.

Thanks man,

funny it comes up in google..

I dont have the patterns (that i know of.. I might.. but doubt it)

anyway.. the brackets are kinda application specific, meaning the drop is designed for the particular overall tire height I am running vs the center line of my axle and in order to work with the front Z...

Definitely start a build, look foreword to seeing what you got going on

Any updates? I wasn't invited over to help? But with the holidays you were busy!

Last edited:
Few updates... I mounted three of those switches from that old bus, two in the dash one will be for the four ways, one for a dome light.... You can also see I put a nice scratch on the dash too..oops

The third is in the air ride command center and will be for cutting power to the compressors so they don't come on with the ignition

I came up with this way to dress up the pull for the lights... And put dad to work on the execution... Some random brass piece I had, it already had a hole in the center but the size was wrong sooooo, drill the center (larger), tap the hole, counterbore, install flat head screw, cut the screw off drilled the screw to accept the rod from the switch, and then drill and tap a set screw into the side to attach it. And in 8 easy steps you have a knob... I sometimes wonder why is this project taking so long, then when I start to think about it I know why.

I wanted to tie in the look from the air gauges so I added theses little trim pieces to each side of the dash, this one on the drivers side has the old foot style high beam switch mounted with a copper plumbing end cap to trim it off, the indicator light is next to it.

Here's the Overall look, you can also see the shroud on the center section

Looks awesome. Still love that steering setup. Look great with the bus switches!

Oh I see a driver seat is the passenger seat in?

Went to work on the truck today.... Not a successful day...was hooking up the air lines to the back of the gauges... Doing the soapy water treatment... Almost had the leaks licked... Let me Just snug that one a touch more.... And then the gauge fell apart!

Awesome! Let me order another one!

Oh well..

Definitely not the first... But man this one aggravated me...

It's a really dumb set up the air line connection doubles as a mounting point for the gauge... It has a jam nut pre assembled to the back of the gauge the you install the u shaped clamp piece(once it's in the dash) tighten that down then use the same threaded point to attach the air connection.

The problem is that u now have a jam nut under a plate and while chasing the air leak this nut slipped and broke the inside of the gauge... I was attempting to hold the jam nut with needle nose vice grips but it didn't work. I guess I'm going to have to grind down a wrench to hold the jam nut

That seems to be the way all the new manufactures think you should mount stuff.
If they had to install the things they make they would re-engineer a lot of things.

I've said it a thousand times....

If they had to install the things they make they would re-engineer a lot of things.[/QUOTE]

While working at the dealerships......"if these clowns had to fix the crap they design, they'd understand it needs to be accessible"

Well got the new gauges... We have these old wrenches that are just thin sheet, who knows what they are from... Anyway dad went ahead and ground one down to fit.. Unfortunately I still had to fully disassemble the housing to fit.

Assembled and holding pressure

I had to run the airlines up to the back of the gauges...
Made this bulkhead for the firewall, the bracket is the original grommet housing for the wire loom.

Pieces of aluminum and 5 compression fittings cut off... Here's the back

So this is how I routed the soft line up from under the cab and into the cab... Each follows the firewall and hooks under the cab

This isn't as visually interesting... But I put the handles back on the tailgate... But I trimmed down a couple of copper washers to fit under the handles

Latest posts

Back