1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update... Finally somewhere to sit...

Still need to do some finish work on the seats and some wire wheeling... But that will come later... Along with some pads ..

Here's the front mounts... As you can see I have multiple holes for adjusting the angle of the seats...

The rear is mounted through these mountain bike shocks I got for $0.0 A little extra cushion... Not sure they will do anything... If they don't I can always do a solid link in place of them...

Accomplished a few other odds and ends but.. Still chipping away, thanks for sticking with me Guys
Very nice work! Seats and mounts look great!

Thanks guys.. continued to chip away...

third brake light on.. and sending unit is in the tank and wired...

Finally sorted out my speedometer cable... not sure what it will read but it will at least work..

I had ordered a proper 1936 speedometer cable from American classic trucks, cause i wasn't sure on what would fit the speedometer. I started my install at the trans.. ran the cable up behind the dash.. went to install it.. CLUNK [S

Contact them, when i told them it didnt fit they immediately respond with "Some early 1936 Chevy trucks use a large square connector" And this is indeed what I need they tell me they will only accept a return that has not been opened.. I express my frustration with them especially since they are aware of the possibility of some 36 trucks using the earlier style cable that they should really add this to the description... "Checking a customer's truck to insure the item purchased is the part that is really needed is beyond our capabilities as a retailer and is the buyer's responsibility." I dont know about you guys but I turned to a retailer who sells parts for restorations when im not sure of the fitment...

Anyway Ill get off my rant.. they lost a customer.. end of that chapter..

the speedo saga continues I find a NOS 31-40 chevrolet speedometer cable on ebay.. buy that cable cause I can clearly see in the photos it has the large square to mate with the speedo.. but what I couldnt see in the photos.. is the trans end is round.. arggggggg

so dad carefully filed the round into a square.. installed and works.. hopefully

On a different note.. if anyone has a handle like pictured below with the square drive.. Im in need of one.. otherwise im going to attempt to whittle one out of a block...

If the 2nd cable doesn't work, can you make an adapter to go from little square to bigger square? ...bend up a couple of sheet metal angle pieces and super glue them onto your small square end.

Making two 90* angles should be easier than making a little square tube

It seems like Am Classic trucks business model has remained in the dark ages. Most mail order business now have made a lot of improvement over that kind of thinking. Very irritating, especially when they already know about the issue.

I'm sure you have thought of a solution for the handle, but when I need a female square drive, I start with an appropriately sized socket. Tig weld it on to a piece of stainless (or in your case, maybe brass) and whittle away.

Really looking good.

If the 2nd cable doesn't work, can you make an adapter to go from little square to bigger square? ...bend up a couple of sheet metal angle pieces and super glue them onto your small square end.

Making two 90* angles should be easier than making a little square tube

Yep i was considering making an adapter, but not only would the inner cable have to be adapted.. but also the outside sheathe

It seems like Am Classic trucks business model has remained in the dark ages. Most mail order business now have made a lot of improvement over that kind of thinking. Very irritating, especially when they already know about the issue.

I'm sure you have thought of a solution for the handle, but when I need a female square drive, I start with an appropriately sized socket. Tig weld it on to a piece of stainless (or in your case, maybe brass) and whittle away.

Really looking good.

Yeah that was my real complaint... they knew about it and chose to say it was the consumers fault.. I even said.. well if your not going to accept it as a return, would you give me a discount on the correct one... "No discounts allowed"

I was thinking the same thing.. start with a socket.. making a square hole is kinda tricky...

does the handle have a screw hole in the middle, or no?

Yes it has a hole for a screw... Ill grab another photo of the one I have when i get a chance...

Thanks guys for the comments

Yes it has a hole for a screw... Ill grab another photo of the one I have when i get a chance...

I was thinking I might have one that would work - but the ones I was thinking of are larger handles (from late 30's Diamond T). I would look on ebay before trying to make one.

I have been looking.. havent seen one that was reasonably priced... saw one for $80.00.. (didnt sell) its about a $10.00 maybe 15 dollar part to me.. lol

Something like these. 1/4" square on the back, with mounting screw thru the front.

Attachments

• DSC00359re.JPG
    DSC00359re.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 21
I have been looking.. havent seen one that was reasonably priced... saw one for $80.00.. (didnt sell) its about a $10.00 maybe 15 dollar part to me.. lol

"Why buy something for $10 that you could make for $100?" modern blacksmith saying.

I can't wait to see how you make them.

Yeah I have reached out to them in the past for used/old parts, they dont actually stock anything, they just call around and see if they can find what you need. Sounds like more than 10-15 dollars worth of work.. (remember Im cheap)

I may have a handle for you, will check when I get out to the shop tomorrow

That would be excellent

Something like these. 1/4" square on the back, with mounting screw thru the front.

Yep thats them!!! got any extra? its a 5/16 square (just checked) would have been a lot more convenient had it been 1/4" then the socket idea would work better

Anyone even know the year range they used these square drive handles ??? I'm thinking these mid 30s might have been the end???

"Why buy something for $10 that you could make for $100?" modern blacksmith saying.

I can't wait to see how you make them.

Thats how I have built my whole truck.. lol

why buy it when I can make it!!! has basically been my mindset on everything.... I guess at this point I am really itching to get it on the road.. (not that a handle will stop me) there is just a few other things I would rather spend my time on then making a handle... But I
Have started devising a plan in my head

Got a lot of responses for a handle... !!! You guys crack me up thanks for the continued support

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hey corpo I doubled checked and the ones I have are 5/16" and as far as I know they are 31 chevy handles.

Let me know if it will work, I got 2. Keyword Cheap!!!

Latest posts

Back