1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHHHHAAAAAGHHH!!! The shocks are killer where they are! They give it a
function first industrial look. Full speed ahead and damn the torpedos! :D:D

+ 3. I think the way they float in the middle of the grill is very steam punkish! (cool for those who don't know) [cl

Thanks JFG

Corpo

I have been following this shock discussion with interest - I'm in the same boat of the '48 firetruck roadster.

Yesterday I looked at mounting the shocks horizontally - there's no room unless I put them inside the frame. I'd need some really skinny shocks.

I had decided to go with lever arm shocks if I can find some, but I didn't know they were single action.

My radiator support will not be strong enough to support the shocks like you did.

So, I'm still thinking about it and thanks for all the ideas.

I guess its the problem you run into when running the big tall tires.. there is just no room to run them to the to the outside of the grill shell...

You might not be in as bad of a situation as I was in.. just because part of my problem was how long the shocks needed to be due to the air ride. You having the quarter elliptical wont have nearly the travel I needed (7") so you can probably get away with much shorter shocks which will probably aid in your mounting...

I was thinking of doing a quarter eliptical front set up and make a rocker set up that slides the shock up inside the front frame tube. Then the shock is totally hidden. [S[;)

Thanks JFG

I guess its the problem you run into when running the big tall tires.. there is just no room to run them to the to the outside of the grill shell...

You might not be in as bad of a situation as I was in.. just because part of my problem was how long the shocks needed to be due to the air ride. You having the quarter elliptical wont have nearly the travel I needed (7") so you can probably get away with much shorter shocks which will probably aid in your mounting...

Yeah, right now I don't even need shocks, the springs are so stiff nothing moves. 4" total travel is about all I have.

Great build, can't wait for the next project.

Well Corpo, I've just spent better part of three days in re-reading this entire build, and I've got to say that you are one talented and skilled engineer/designer/builder. NO other way about it. I don't know what you do for work, but if it isn't something like this, you've missed your calling--------
Don't feel badly about the time it's taken, after all, it's the journey that's important, not the completion! perley

Corpo!! Love the build!! I have been watching this since the begining and you are a very talented individual!!

And about how long the build is taking!!!!!! Ahhhh mine is in it's like 2nd year!! Sometimes it makes me feel like a tard for not being quicker. But when i sit and think of the money I have to spend which is very little I end up building most of my stuff and that takes some time!

Your doing an Awesome job!! Keep it up!! By the way did you see that Jeremy on KB is going to try and get some video of his being driven this Friday!! That LUCKY DAWG!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Keep it up Bro your doing Fantastic!![cl

Looking good Mike. Are you making it out to Hunnert Car with us? I am killing my funds trying to get this thing ready by then. It will be tight, but I think I will be driving it there. It will at least be parked at a buddies house in Decatur and then driven there. Jeremy, Slash, and myself are all talking about meeting somewhere around N. St. Louis and then finishing the trip together out to Decatur together.

Well Corpo, I've just spent better part of three days in re-reading this entire build, and I've got to say that you are one talented and skilled engineer/designer/builder. NO other way about it. I don't know what you do for work, but if it isn't something like this, you've missed your calling--------
Don't feel badly about the time it's taken, after all, it's the journey that's important, not the completion! perley

Thanks Perley I really appreciate the kind words... I may be an engineer who designs and fabricates on a pretty regular basis...

Corpo!! Love the build!! I have been watching this since the begining and you are a very talented individual!!

And about how long the build is taking!!!!!! Ahhhh mine is in it's like 2nd year!! Sometimes it makes me feel like a tard for not being quicker. But when i sit and think of the money I have to spend which is very little I end up building most of my stuff and that takes some time!

Your doing an Awesome job!! Keep it up!! By the way did you see that Jeremy on KB is going to try and get some video of his being driven this Friday!! That LUCKY DAWG!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Keep it up Bro your doing Fantastic!![cl

Thanks man.. I know he is getting ready to fire his up...I really like how his is turning out... The $$$ is definitely a problem for me too I need a bunch of air bag components.. and I don't really know anything about what is good and yet affordable

Yours is looking really good too.. I really think you made the right choice re building your frame

Looking good Mike. Are you making it out to Hunnert Car with us? I am killing my funds trying to get this thing ready by then. It will be tight, but I think I will be driving it there. It will at least be parked at a buddies house in Decatur and then driven there. Jeremy, Slash, and myself are all talking about meeting somewhere around N. St. Louis and then finishing the trip together out to Decatur together.

Tory... its not looking good for me to make the pile up... I still need to do the floor in my cab and then tear it all back apart to finish up boxing the frame and paint it. I have lots of big dollar items left to buy.. mostly air suspension stuff and TIRES Probably at least 2K between those items...

I wish some of you guys were closer so I had some help. Has slash been working on his? I haven't talked to him in awhile

Im going to be envious of you guys if you guys all make the deadline and I miss out!

Thanks guys

Slash has been put on a stand still on his truck. He decided to mess with the s10. I should make it or be stupid close and very upset. haha. I will hopefully fire it up in a couple of weeks. If I have to, I will trailer it up. I have to finish the floor once I get the trans as well, Blow it all apart, some more cutting and no painting. It will be rough, but it would be the only thing that makes it a rat unfortunately. haha. You are more than welcome to come hang out if you want still. ha. I am surprised to see you were able to get as much done as you have. Are you still away from where your truck is for the most part?

Im still here..!!! i havent given up

finally got a little time in this weekend...

mock it up
0873437a.jpg

make it from steel... I would have gotten more done but ran out of sheet.. i still need to weld it in.. but it was nice to just have something to sit on for once

c2f190ab.jpg

messed with the seat mounts too...

179a583c.jpg

built them.. dont ask me why but it was one of the first parts I made for the truck

well i came up with a plan based on some rough measurements, I wish I had gone a hair narrower. I built a set out of cardboard first and carefully sat in those... haha...

I got a build thread for the seats.. somewhere.. ill look and see if i can dig it up if you want..

Corpo, With the tie rod in front of the axle, whats happening with the ackerman angle? I tried to go front steer because of link bracket interferance but got an ackerman angle nightmare? The tires pointed at each other at full turn stop instead of apart.

Latest posts

Back