1948 Dodge Pilothouse Soon CHOPED AND DROPED.. Any suggestions??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wampler234

we just got this 48 and it runs with pouring gas in the carb but only stays running for a few seconds and then dies. the guy said he checked the fuel pump and it was working... we havnt had a chance to get into it yet. But anyway were looking to chop the top, loose the fenders, and maybe z the frame and puting the front end out farther. If anyone has any pictures of dodges with similar work done to them or even trucks that look close to it with that work done please post. Dually pics would be really SWEEt!

heres some pics.

Attachments

• DSC00872.jpg
    DSC00872.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 166
Those Dodge front clips are a trick to work with. If you loose the fenders, think about taking the bulge out of the doors.

look

go take a look at my post of my 1950 dodge l am building.

l have pics with and with out the front fenders, hood and grille. these 1948 to 1953 pilothouse trucks look stupid/wierd/wrong/not right(pick one):eek:
without the front sheet metal.

Later:D

Not saying it can't look good. But if you look at the doors in those pics, he removed the bump out. Plan on moving the front axle forward - otherwise the front end looks ....uh... front heavy(?).

Actually, since your starting with a big truck, if you keep the full size wheels nd duals, the door bump outs might look in proportion.

Not saying it can't look good. But if you look at the doors in those pics, he removed the bump out. Plan on moving the front axle forward - otherwise the front end looks ....uh... front heavy(?).

Actually, since your starting with a big truck, if you keep the full size wheels nd duals, the door bump outs might look in proportion.

we are keeping the same wheels and tires...and moving the front forward...i notice the bump is out of the one truck... did he just change doors or fill in the bump and contour it to the door?... so your saying that if we keep the wheels and tires you think the bump wouldnt be bad looking???

i say do a small chop 2-3 inches max and just make it as low as possible without cutting up the frame but thats just me i just hate it when i see all these nice old trucks getting chopped up to the point you cant even tell what it was beafore they chopped it up. sorry but i think its to clean to chop to hell

there was a build somewhere on the truck you posted, and he did a ton of work to the sides of the cab to get rid of the bumps that stick out.. he also cut a bunch off the bottom of the cab.. i want to say it was like 8-10 inches.. he probably had very little room in that cab when its done like that..

I am building a dually you can click the link in my signature to check it out.. what is your plan for the rear axle? if you want to be able to cruise at highway speeds you will have to do something different with the rear end, these old big trucks were geared super low for torque and power.. not for speed...

i think were just going to leave the axle... the idea of a 2 speed is sweet, not to worryed bout speed just cool looks!

A 2 speed axle won't get you any more speed...

...but you get to shift more!

Yeah, with the big tires/rims, you might be able to make the bulges work without removing them. It's all about proportions. But, you can always deal with the doors after you get the frame and chop done.

Someone had the idea of putting turn signals there...

for the first big dually all worry about going fast later lol... 2 speed axle just goes with having the big dually style i think

I've been thinking the same Sam, we need to get the braintrust on here to devise the best way to do an under axle drop. Seems to be many ways to do it, never done it myself.

Latest posts

Back