1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was sorting pictures and found a photo of my old M-37. My most favourite build ever.

Sure miss that old War Wagon.

27-12-11_124.jpg I got one of them too, I got to clean out the tank and get two batteries..

My M-37 was a great truck. I put a V-8 in it, power steering, power brakes, fuel injection, roll cage, heater, custom bumpers, custom wind shield, and 39 inch Bogger tires. With 5:83 gears it would climb like a goat. Ran it for ten years.

I sold it because it needed a complete tear down and overhaul. I just moved on. Miss it though.

Ah Gold, you make it look so easy that I want to try, now.

Mac is right as usual gold.:D
I had to put a series of notch's in mine to get the right contour.
Since I still have to do the passenger side I will have another chance to do better;)
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_3091.JPG
    IMG_3091.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the compliments guys. The second vent window is looking better than the first. I might go back and adjust the drivers side a bit.

The key to this is to use a torch and heat the inside of the wing vent channel, you can bend it to the shape you need. It will not wrinkle the edges and no welding on it.
If the pivots don't line up just drill and relocate them.
Here's a pic of mine to show you. As you can see it almost didn't even turn the chrome blue.
This top has been chopped 3", the A pillar leaned back so it make the corner even a tighter bend and still no wrinkles.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1389547620112.jpg
    1389547620112.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 1389547648162.jpg
    1389547648162.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 103
So today I had a couple of hours to work on the vent window again. Here is the process and the result. enjoy.

Pretty much the same as the outer frame. I did have to extend the top tip about an inch. Same process as the chop though.

You can see my 1/4 thick copper with a piece of sheet metal crimped to form a spring to hold it all for welding.;)

Now I just need to do a little clean up, paint, add test the seal fit. Then go to glass and install that into the frame for a later date.

Attachments

• IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1712.jpg
    IMG_1712.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 29
Agree with Mike, gold.
Looks good.
I have tried Old Irons method and I alweays seem to distort the channel.
Wich is why I notched my first one this time. Plus with it not being chrome a little welding filling and paint and there you have it.

Since I have to do the PS still I may give it one more try with the torch.
Torchie.

I can't believe I didn't see your build until now! It's a very sweet truck!

I am continuously amazed by the amount of cool stuff being built around here that you never know about! Yours will be by far the coolest bobber truck I've seen around Edmonton.

I got the passenger side window in. Thanks for the advice Torchie. That stuff is a bitch by yourself![S

Now I just need to cut the glass for the vents and fit the seals. Then finish the rest of the truck....

I got the passenger side window in. Thanks for the advice Torchie. That stuff is a bitch by yourself![S

Now I just need to cut the glass for the vents and fit the seals. Then finish the rest of the truck....

Your welcome gold.
I've said this before so I'm repeating myself, but your chop and all that goes with it is one of the cleanest, best looking jobs I have seen in a long time.
Keep at it fellow Ratateer. :D:D
Torchie.

Lets see it installed! The suspense is killing me!
I never really thought about chopping a vent window, definitely something to think about on the next one I chop!

Thanks guys.

I still need to cut the glass for the vents or get a shop to do it.

Tonight I patched up a few screw holes in the cab. Fixed a dent in the dash. Reworked a oil can in the passenger door. (I hate that door) I also welded in a patch in the valence above the windshield. Mouse nest made it rust through.

Everyday a little progress.

Latest posts

Back