1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey DR, it really depends on the year. Mid April is iffy, all the way through to late september or October on a long year.

It depends on how far away from home you are when it starts to snow and traps you.

Years ago I did manage to ride all year long once. Young and crazy. I got pretty good at using my feet as an outrigger on the ice covered side streets. 1100 Yamaha in those days. The main streets were "clear" except at night when they would frost up.

Now that I'm ready to work on the truck again... its 20 below Celcius!!:mad:

I haven't actually cut glass for this thing yet.

I don't think it will cruise this year. right now its to cold to work in my unheated garage.

I know what you mean. I chickened out from doing some work out in the garage last night for the same reason.

Wow!
I thought you Canadians were a tough, hearty bunch.:D:D:D:D
I was out in the garage yesterday. Again today. And planning on tonight as well. With out heat and perhaps without a brain.[S[S
Stay warm Brothers.
Torchie.

I just finished three days of studying and two of training and testing. now I'm ready to work on the truck.... its -20 Celsius again:mad:

One day I'm going to buy a piece of warm ground!

I've been working on the steering column. Using the lathe to make up a column saver from aluminium bar stock and some UHMW.

Didn't get any pictures taken. Have to leave town for a week for work:(. More interruptions.

I'm home, and we are in a deep freeze again. Forecast is for -36 at night next week end:eek:

We are looking at the same thing here gold. I was out in the unheated shop sitting on the cement floor while continuing to strip the truck cab. Both my wife and my oldest daughter took me to task.[S[S
Stay warm Brother.
Torchie.

small things

I managed to build my column saver. Some bar stock aluminium and some UHMW. I turned it on my lathe. I machined the pinch collar today. The shaft is hollow so I pressed some turned steel stock into it to fill the shaft. Now it just needs to be turned to double D.

You can see how it goes together. The cap bolts in the pinch collar will be set into a slight relief in the shaft to keep it from slipping. The ring closes perfectly when you just tighten each blot a little.

I still need to build a horn adapter. I am having trouble finding the right size bronze or copper to build the contact ring.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 31
Very nice workmanship gold!
have you thought about using a large bronze washer and modifying it to work? I get them at my local hardware store.
Good to see you posting again as well. Stay warm.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back