1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked on steering tonight. In my shirt sleeves![cl it's finally warming up.

I'll get some pictures when it gets more exciting. Mocked up the steering column and used the plasma arc to notch my motor mount to clear the steering shaft.

I need to move my horn adapter before I go to far. I think I'm going to try and get it close to the dash, or outside of the fire wall.

More work on the column. My steering wheel is disintegrating! Sad. I want the stock wheel. Need to find a kit to do the repair work. Anyone know of one? or is it just repair with fibre glass and paint?

More work on the column. My steering wheel is disintegrating! Sad. I want the stock wheel. Need to find a kit to do the repair work. Anyone know of one? or is it just repair with fibre glass and paint?
They do make kits gold. I believe that Eastwood may carry them.. I have used JB weld with good success and I know that other people have used some off the shelf epoxy's as well.
If the wheel is disintegrating you may have a problem getting anything to hold together.
Torchie.

New old wheel

Grind out the bad spots and use PB 7 epoxy to fill it all back in. It holds up great to paint and hand oils... Done it on a few old wheels, I then used rubber undercoating as black paint makes for nice hand hold

Kurt

I finally got some pictures and some work done. Steering column is mocked up. I just need to grind the end of the shaft to double-D, install the carbon brush from a vacuum cleaner.:eek: Etcetera etcetera etcetera. Un ending process.

I forgot to take pictures of the machining I did to day on the aluminium collar at the end of the steering column. I split it like the other one and installed two 8-32 machine screws to pinch it. coated the inside of the collar with JB weld and installed the collar (Just a little extra hold). Then used red lock tight to hold the machine screws. To remove it all I will have to apply heat to soften the glue and lock tight. Same process on the four screw collar except the shaft has small relief notches to allow the screws to hold the shaft even if the screws come loose.

The horn wire was fished through the shaft and soldered to the copper comutator. You can see the carbon brush and holder that will be insulated and installed to attach the horn lead to.The picture of the column shows the comutator throughout he hole for the brush.

Attachments

• IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1809.jpg
    IMG_1809.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Next, connect the column to the steering box. I have some double D shaft and two flaming river u-joints. Then I can adjust the steering wheel height to level out the shaft.

Then build a tie rod. will go to Welder Series for parts. Unless the threads on those old Ford Tie rod ends are a standard fine thread. Anyone know? I have a set of tap and die buried out in the garage I could use to make my own if it is standard.

Now that its warm I need to get my garage cleaned out, insulated and get the furnace I bought installed for next winter. This year was almost a bust because of the cold.

I'm a little distracted right now with a new bike I haven't ridden yet. Will need to get the rhythm of working on the truck every day going again.

Great execution of your imagineering gold.
I believe that the threads are standard fine on those tie rod ends. Seems like most of the weird Ford threads were confined to the flathead engines bolts.[S But don't quote me.
Torchie.

Hi Gold, a lot of the old Ford tie rod ends were standard fine thread, but 11/16 which are rare as hens teeth. The Old Car Centre has the right nuts for you, if these are the ones you need. I learned about these nuts while I was looking for the ones to hold down the pot headlights with those big hollow bolts, also 11/16 fine thread.
Keep on tinkering.

Brake lines can be bought in 3 types. (At least around here).
Shiney ones are plated. Most likely zinc.
Copper/Nickle. Looks kind of like copper.
Plain steel. Dull black finish.
You should be able to tell the difference by looking at them.
Torchie.

I did get some work done on the steering column. I don't have a USB hub that will work after upgrading the computer so I can't load pictures to easy. I'll solve that they post them.

Back on a bike after a nine year break. It was cold at only seven above freezing, but baby did I miss that!

Finally got around to loading some pictures. Here is the steering column and the horn adapter. The horn adapter will sit on the floor inside the cab. I will build a cover for it... maybe an antique tin of some sort.

I haven't been around much. fighting the blues for some reason. I did sharpen all of my drill bits, and cleaned the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1918.jpg
    IMG_1918.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 48
Finally got around to loading some pictures. Here is the steering column and the horn adapter. The horn adapter will sit on the floor inside the cab. I will build a cover for it... maybe an antique tin of some sort.

I haven't been around much. fighting the blues for some reason. I did sharpen all of my drill bits, and cleaned the garage.

Common problem this winter brother. Hang tough and it will get better.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back