1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the patient will live...

Last nights progress.
It's starting to look like something again.
Tonights plan is to start hanging sheet metal.
And the scrap pile keeps getting bigger.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 48
Where did you end up getting all your parts?

Got them through my local auto shop- Auto Value.
I know the manager there as well as the fact that the daughters boy friend works there and gets a good discount.
At this point I feel that had this been an insurance job they most likely would have totaled it based on value vs cost of repair. But it has been so long since I worked in a body shop that I don't know what their criteria is any more regarding totals.

Luckly very little frame damage. Just everything else.:) New hood and PS front fender. All new internal support frames. New rad and PS headlight assm.
New inner grill and grill. Front bumper cover as well as rear bumper cover and one tail light unit. Whew.... And a whole lot of spot welds.:D
Torchie.

Tonights progress

Got the sheet metal hung. Gaps are acceptable and every thing works.
The daughters boyfriend did the paint earlier. Not a bad job.It sure is shiney.:)
Hope to have it wrapped up by tomorrow night. I getting tired of having to park my car outside in the snow:eek::eek::eek:
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 34
Elvis has left the building....

Finished the Jeep.
Now to get back to the truck.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 19
Sir I must say excellent work!

I had a spill with an intoxicated driver and loss the use of my right leg for a month. You are a trooper not letting anything hold you back. I admire your spirit and your skills are impressive!

I have family up in Michigan in the Richmond area, I'd love to meet you in person and check out your work next time I'm up that way.

Keep on the grind, I'm loving this more and more!

Looks like it came out real nice!

Thanks DR. Still needs a few little things and a front end alignment but my end of the deal is finished.

Good work!

Not to be negative... but you and I both need a better camera! :(
Nothing wrong with the camera DR Crankenstein. But I can't say the same for the camera operator.:eek::D:D

Sir I must say excellent work!

I had a spill with an intoxicated driver and loss the use of my right leg for a month. You are a trooper not letting anything hold you back. I admire your spirit and your skills are impressive!

I have family up in Michigan in the Richmond area, I'd love to meet you in person and check out your work next time I'm up that way.

Keep on the grind, I'm loving this more and more!

Thanks CC13.. And speaking of grinding away..... Cancelled eye DR's appt due to marginal driving conditions so I got started back on the hood merger.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 31
Hey Torchie

Cool thing about Jeeps...that 7 bar grille shell...I have 3 at home...a 1947...a 1960-62 and a 1965...and compare now your shiney black one....7 bar grille...wish they were as simple today as they used to be when they were originally designed and built back in the early 1940's...welcome back to the rat rod work...

MikeC

dieing to see how you marry the hoods. i'm sure it will look excellent just like the rest of it

You and me both kenny c :D
Was supposed to have some help working on it tonight but it is just too cold to be out in the shop. Even with some heat.
Supposed to start warming up towards the end of the week. Even talk of rain:eek::eek::eek:. What a mess that would be.
Torchie.

Agreed, supposed to be 40 and rain Saturday... crazy back and forth weather!

Oh, and cold is no excuse, get out there, we are not so patiently waiting on seeing this hood married!

Agreed, supposed to be 40 and rain Saturday... crazy back and forth weather!

Oh, and cold is no excuse, get out there, we are not so patiently waiting on seeing this hood married!

glad it's not just crazy here in the south.... it's 10 today and will be almost 60 Sat and rain!

O.K. Torchie, You've tantalized us with the pre-marriage pictures of the hoods and then left us high and dry, wanting more. I'm thinking this will be quite the operation to watch. There will be a lot of Imagineering and ingenuity displayed in the next bunch of pictures. Did I mention that most of us are impatiently waiting for the progress reports, not weather reports. [dr[dr
The weather here has been up and down temperatures and a way more snow than usual.
I hope that you have started a whole new phenomenon, with putting a '41 front clip on any custom. Keep on tinkering.

This will be a 2 part post...

O.K. Torchie, You've tantalized us with the pre-marriage pictures of the hoods and then left us high and dry, wanting more. I'm thinking this will be quite the operation to watch. There will be a lot of Imagineering and ingenuity displayed in the next bunch of pictures. Did I mention that most of us are impatiently waiting for the progress reports, not weather reports. [dr[dr

Wow. What a tough audience. Don't know if I can handle the pressure,:):):):)
Taking the sage advice of my fellow RR I ventured out into the garage to commence the hood marriage in earnest.
If you wade back thru the Jeep time out as well as the weather reports :D:D you will see the profile pic that I took.
Some comments were made in regards to the hood nose being High or the rear of the front fenders being low. Being a wishy-washy kind of guy I agreed with both observations[S

1st Pic shows the reason why the hood looked nose high. The rear of the 41 hood need to be raised to better meet the cowl height.

2nd pic shows the fender/hood gap now that the hood has been raised.

3rd pic shows the rear of the front fenders raised to meet the hood bottom as well as the temp brackets I put on to be able to adjust rear fender height.
That looks better.

4th pic shows just one of the many things that have to be allowed for. Clearence between the back of the fender and the door lower door hinge. I want this a close as possible with out hitting when the door swings open.
Continue on to the next post.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 33
Start back with my last post and read thesae 2 as one.

A huge part of how I am lineing all this up is by the way that the hood lays on top of the fenders. If that looks good then all is where it needs to be.
As anyone who has put front sheet metal together on one of these style fords will tell you, they can be fun to fit.;);)

1st pic shows current fitment now that the rear of the fenders have been brought up. Very acceptable.

2nd pic shows the blackmark from the edge of where the F-series hood would fall on the fender tops...

3rd pic shows part of the gap between the 41 hood rear edge and the truck cowl that needs to be filled.

4th pic shows more of the same.

Some suggestions have been made in regards to the possibility of filling and shaping the cowl to match the hood edge. The main problem with that is the hinges on the 41 hood are to far foward of the fire wall to be used.
So my plan at this point is too seperate the F hood just ahead of the hinge and brace and re-install this portion to the truck cowl/firewall.
Then I am going to remove the hinge/hood brace from the 41 hood and over lay it on to the F hood. This will also give me the correct shape to match to when I pie cut the 41 hood to bring the sides in closer.
Sounds easy right? :eek:[;):cool:
That's all for now folks.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 28
WOW Torchie.
In my new analogy You and Christopher Columbus made whole new worlds famous. Even Christopher had a week-kneed, loud-mouthed, ne'r-do-well underling that verbally pushed him on to greater heights, in his weak moments. Chris went on to become rich and famous, because of his wonderful vision --- and--- pushy underling.
You are playing Chris's part; I get to play the limp wristed, mouthy, audience member, whose fame and fortune were insignificant and easily forgotten.

Anyhow, You have a great project and lots of work ahead of you.
Keep on tinkering.

WOW Torchie.
In my new analogy You and Christopher Columbus made whole new worlds famous. Even Christopher had a week-kneed, loud-mouthed, ne'r-do-well underling that verbally pushed him on to greater heights, in his weak moments. Chris went on to become rich and famous, because of his wonderful vision --- and--- pushy underling.
You are playing Chris's part; I get to play the limp wristed, mouthy, audience member, whose fame and fortune were insignificant and easily forgotten.

Anyhow, You have a great project and lots of work ahead of you.
Keep on tinkering.

I could care less about the famous. But I'm going to hold you to the rich part MercuryMac:D:D:D
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back