1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Torchie

Just woke up and saw your progess post. Defiantly more involved than
just tack a piece in there. Looking good.
Glad you woke up I-R-Pops.That's always the most important part of the napping process.:):)

take your time and do a lot of imagineering. I like that word. Its looking great.
Thanks gold. I'm going pretty slow as it is.:D You know that I call it "mental enginering" while my wife calls it "staring". Imagineering brings to mind some sort of Disney thing. And since we are building Rats and not mouse's...... Well you get the picture.;)

glad to hear the eyes are ok. I think you are at least part genius. maybe visionary is a good description.

kenny c I've been called many things in my life(mostly by family or friends). What you said is one of the nicer things. Thanks.:cool:
Hopefully by tomorow I will be back at it.
Torchie.

Torchie, everybody and their dog has the common, mortal, garden variety sight, but you have vision above that, [sorta' like overdrive]. That's the part I like.
Anyhow, take care of your garden variety sight and get well soon.

Gold, I also like the word Imagineer so I use it quite a bit. Thank you to whoever invented it.

" I'm going pretty slow as it is. You know that I call it "mental enginering" while my wife calls it "staring". Imagineering brings to mind some sort of Disney thing. And since we are building Rats and not mouse's...... Well you get the picture."

We could be imagineers...:rolleyes:

" I'm going pretty slow as it is. You know that I call it "mental enginering" while my wife calls it "staring". Imagineering brings to mind some sort of Disney thing. And since we are building Rats and not mouse's...... Well you get the picture."

We could be imagineers...:rolleyes:

Only if I get to sit next to Annette.:D:D
Torchie.

Every time I stand there and do some "imagineering"...

somebody comes along and asks me if forgot what I was doing or where I'm at....:eek:.... Things are looking extremely good there Torchie.....[cl

Things are getting interesting...

Back at the hood.
In trying to mate the hood pieces I have run into a wall.
1 Pic shows the problem. If you look close at the gap between the two hoods you can see that the angles of the hoods are different. The gap gets narrower as you look forward.

2nd Pics show the cut off edge of the F hood when mounted correctly to the cowl. You can also see in this pic how much farther out the back of the fenders are from the sides of the cowl than in the mock up.
That in it's self doesn't concern me as I am going to have to make a filler piece for that area anyway.
Was does concern me is that the angle of the F hood will not allow me to bring in the 41 hood sides to match the cowl.

3rd Pic shows the lines where the inner brace that holds all the hood hinge attachment points falls. Of course it is right in the area that needs to be modified.

4th Pic shows that even with the fender shimed out another inch we will still have clearence issues.

So as I see it my options are to try to change the angle of the side skirt of the F hood.(With all the inner supports that go with it).:eek::eek::eek:

Get the two hood skins cut and matched up by removing the inner brace on the F hood. And possibly do a lift off type of hood.

Do the above and try to come up with some sort of a hinge system instead of a lift off.

Or say " screw it" and run a big a**'d mill with a blower on it with no hood.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
As always I am open to suggestions so put on your Ratateer ears and do some "Imagineering" along with me.
As always ,thanks for looking in.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 37
Hinge it on the front, like a Vette hood.....

That would work with a hood that sticks out over the grill Bamamav. Pivot points are back a ways from the nose and when tilted forward the hood edge goes down over the grill. But with the 41 the hood ends right at the grill. No place for the nose to go. So I would have to split the hood behind the grill so that it has somwhere to go when the rear is lifted.
I could go with a tilt front clip and if I was building a gasser that would be great.
Or I suppose I could run a piano hinge down the seem and have each side open like the 30's style hoods[ddd[ddd[ddd[ddd[cl[cl[cl[cl
Keep'em coming.

Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 22
I have two opinions that are food for thought.
#1 I really don't want you to give up on this hood, so, what if you got the top part of the hood fitting nicely and the curve around to the hood sides will fit for a while, then make a nice peek-a-boo window about six inches high from the fender up and from just in front of the hinge and cross brace to about even with the fan belt. You would have to have a one inch square tube running from the bottom of the F-1 hood to the bottom front of the '41 hood but if you put it down two inches and narrower than the fenders, it would be hidden when the hood was down but in sight when it was up.
#2 If you have to get rid of the hood [perish the thought] could you at least leave the front third of the '41 hood on there. If you cut the '41 hood like the back of a bats wing at about even with the fan belt and hinge it at the front, it would be cool. No car made after the late 30's, looks good without a hood, from the front, IMHO.
Keep on tinkering.

That would work with a hood that sticks out over the grill Bamamav. Pivot points are back a ways from the nose and when tilted forward the hood edge goes down over the grill. But with the 41 the hood ends right at the grill. No place for the nose to go. So I would have to split the hood behind the grill so that it has somwhere to go when the rear is lifted.
I could go with a tilt front clip and if I was building a gasser that would be great.
Or I suppose I could run a piano hinge down the seem and have each side open like the 30's style hoods[ddd[ddd[ddd[ddd[cl[cl[cl[cl
Keep'em coming.

Torchie.

I see what you mean. My next suggestion was to hinge it on one side, like a 40's Buick. Would that work?

I have two opinions that are food for thought.
#1 I really don't want you to give up on this hood, so, what if you got the top part of the hood fitting nicely and the curve around to the hood sides will fit for a while, then make a nice peek-a-boo window about six inches high from the fender up and from just in front of the hinge and cross brace to about even with the fan belt. You would have to have a one inch square tube running from the bottom of the F-1 hood to the bottom front of the '41 hood but if you put it down two inches and narrower than the fenders, it would be hidden when the hood was down but in sight when it was up.
#2 If you have to get rid of the hood [perish the thought] could you at least leave the front third of the '41 hood on there. If you cut the '41 hood like the back of a bats wing at about even with the fan belt and hinge it at the front, it would be cool. No car made after the late 30's, looks good without a hood, from the front, IMHO.
Keep on tinkering.

I am not going to give up on the hood Mac. Just going to take a step back and look at the big picture.

I see what you mean. My next suggestion was to hinge it on one side, like a 40's Buick. Would that work?

That's a good thought Bama.I had a 1950 Buick Sedanette that had the side opening hood. Worked from either side. The hinge system was pretty slick on that car. Stuck a handle device into the rearmost porthole on the hood to unlock it.

Thanks and keep thinking gang.
Torchie.

after looking at your hood , situation, if I'm seeing it right. I agree with the long pie cut to narrow the 41 hood and blending it into the 49. Another option for hood hinges could possibly be using a c shaped hinge that mounts through the firewall similar to what is used on a more modern vehicle. just a thought. keep us posted.

A few ideas/thoughts:

1. I don't think doing a flip hood would be impossible. While I hate flip hoods, you could easily make a hinge that allows your hood to go forward in front of the grille and still fit right when it's closed.

2. Would it be possible to locate a parts car with a usable firewall/cowl and hinges? I'm wondering if instead of grafting the hood, you could graft the car firewall on and get the angles a little better that way?

I wouldn't go to a lift off style hood. Have you looked to see what kind of hot rod hood hinges are out there for 40's and 50's trucks? That might give you some more ideas/options. You could maybe even walk through the junkyard and try to find some hinges off a more modern car that might work better? Possible with gas shocks on them?

A few ideas/thoughts:

1. I don't think doing a flip hood would be impossible. While I hate flip hoods, you could easily make a hinge that allows your hood to go forward in front of the grille and still fit right when it's closed.

2. Would it be possible to locate a parts car with a usable firewall/cowl and hinges? I'm wondering if instead of grafting the hood, you could graft the car firewall on and get the angles a little better that way?

I wouldn't go to a lift off style hood. Have you looked to see what kind of hot rod hood hinges are out there for 40's and 50's trucks? That might give you some more ideas/options. You could maybe even walk through the junkyard and try to find some hinges off a more modern car that might work better? Possible with gas shocks on them?

News Flash!!!!
I believe that I have the hood issue resolved[cl[cl[cl
I had the cowl/firewall from the 41 sedan donor car. I didn't use it because it would have required sectioning and narrowing to fit the F cab. Which would have gotten rid of all the stock hood/hinge mounting points. I figured that this was the lesser of two evils.[S[S[S
Pic to follow this evening.
Torchie.

News Flash!!!!
I believe that I have the hood issue resolved[cl[cl[cl
I had the cowl/firewall from the 41 sedan donor car. I didn't use it because it would have required sectioning and narrowing to fit the F cab. Which would have gotten rid of all the stock hood/hinge mounting points. I figured that this was the lesser of two evils.[S[S[S
Pic to follow this evening.
Torchie.

I'm glad you figured it out!

More importantly, I'm glad I posted the solution :D:D:D

I'm glad you figured it out!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions gang.
I put to gether a new plan last night while trying to sleep. Usually when I do my best imagineering.:D:D

1st Pics shows my scribles as of the AM.. Back curved line = rear edge of 41 hood.
Horizontal lower line shows top of fender height.
Blue tape marks out new cut off line for F-hood.

2nd Pic shows the newly trimmed off F hood.

3rd Pic shows what was behind the piece that I just cut off and why I was hesitant to remove it. I secured the remaining brace to the remaining hood with spacer blocks welded to afore said hood and remaining brace piece.
So all the hood hinge attachment point are still intacked and being used.:)

4th Pic shows the F- hood closed and now able to fit behind the 41 fender. And the fender is now back in the right position in regards to both height and spacing from the side of the cowl.:)

5th Pic shows that where I trimmed some more off of the partial F-hood making it easier to overlay the 41 hood.

6th Pic shows the 41 hood slid over the top of the F-hood and how good the gap along the top of the fender/bottom edge of the hood is now.Plus the trimming of the interior F hood made the 41 hood much easier to fit and adjust correctly.

7th Pic shows the proposed path of the pie cut that will need to be made to bring in the 41 hood sides tighter. I am going to cut parallel to the angle of the hood edge vs just going straight down the hood.

Possibly going to make the hood cut tomorrow. I will see how things feel when I get up in the morning.:eek::eek:
As always comments and constructive crititisms are welcome. And thanks for looking in.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0007.JPG