33 Austin Rat Truck Conversion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyrodg

I suppose it's time I started my build thread. I'm learning as I go and It's pretty much a one man band so there'll be plenty of questions and advice sought as I go. Please help me out wherever you can guys, I'm happy to take advice and learn from other peoples mistakes.
The plan is....take a 33 Austin 4 door body and cut the middle out and make myself a little Rat Truck.
I've put a support frame in the cab and it's time for the chop.
I've marked out 4" for the chop with the tape.
Wish me luck !!! :smoke:

38784d9e2c4b87319.jpg

My 2 cents...I would shorten the body first. Cross brace the front section so it won't fall apart. Then move the rear section forward and get those pieces aligned and tacked in place. Then chop the top. The top should be straight forward since the A and B pillars are almost straight up and down. Good luck, we'll be watchin...[P

I think I kinda agree with fuzz on shortening it first and then chopping it........but I don't know a whole lot about either one:eek: What I do know is that that thing will make a COOL little truck[cl[cl Welcome to RRR and keep us posted on your progress. [P[P

Either way, take plenty of pictures and update often. If anybody sees something not right, they can catch it before you get into trouble. Good luck!

I also agree.. I would shorten it first then chop it..

As a side note.. I think I would chop it more... looks like some big starting window openings..

I did the opposite of what the guys are saying and chopped the top off of my 34 Cadillac first, shortened the body then cut the top to fit. That way I could attatch the front of the top first then the rear. It worked for me but I won't say it was easy!!
Definitely take lots of measurements first and make sure you square up the front and rear sections - they may not even be square at this point.
Then lots of bracing and more measuring. Are you going to leave the doors stock length or splice in a section of the rears to make longer doors? Sure would make it easier to live with (in), those Austins are pretty tiny......... or maybe we're just used to bigger cars on this side of the pond....
Have fun, looking forward to the build[cl

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies and the tips.
My thinking in doing the chop first was to try and keep the rear panel entire as in un-chopped. Just drop the whole thing down to meet the new roof line at the front. I put a post on here about it last week so hopefully it'll work out. There's a good picture in the link below so you'll see what I mean. I've still not got a solution for the swage line yet but I'll figure it.
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18954
It's an Austin 12 so it's pretty big and I'm what they call in the UK a "short arse" so I'll fit in it quite well LOL :p Stretching the front doors is really above my skill level if I'm honest.[S
You can't see it in the pictures to well but the body is firmly bolted to it's original and very strong chassis,there's also bracing from both foot wells to the bottom of the B pillars, it's braced just under the cut from the A's to the B's and also above the cut from B to B. I've also braced the rear panel as well.
Another reason I thought for doing it this way is because both door returns have completely rusted away at the top, especially in the rounded section at the front. I thought that it would be easier if could get the whole of the front roof section on the bench to make it easier to repair. I'll thriangulate the bracing there today before I attack it
I'll take another look today and give it some more thought tho'.
Thanks again for the replies.
Pete.:D

I've made some progress with the chop and I'm wondering if I should split the roof down the center to get the A post to line up or just make a series of cuts on the post and weld them up. It's under 1/2" out so seems a shame to split it. Your thoughts on this one please.
Also I'm now at the stage where I need to sort out the rear panel and the swage line. I don't want to chop the 5" out of it like the roof if possible as it's just the right size to mate back up to the B post. I've still to trim the roof section to the back of the B post.Any ideas would be gratefully received !!
You can sorta see it taking shape now I guess.
If anyone can give me some pointers or threads to look at on re-doing the cab floor and the framework etc that'd be great.
Cheers.
38784da69c0351f6c.jpg

38784da69c8e8282a.jpg

38784da69c9ce076d.jpg

I wouldn't split the roof, you are close enough that you could make a few cuts to allow it to be re shaped

You can check out my chop if you want, I have a picture on the page linked below that shows where I planned on making the relief cuts in mine to get it lined back up.. this is the route I ended up going.. worked very well

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9479&page=32

Good Luck

Hey all,
I've mocked up the axles and chassis today and I need more kick up in the rear of the chassis. I was still about 4" above the intended ride height and the chassis was sitting on top of the axle.:(
So my question is should I,
A- re do the whole of the rear section in new steel,
B- cut the rear section of and stack it on top just behind where the cab will go.
C- put a series of cuts it to get more bend and weld it back up.
The chassis is double thickness at this point due to the center x-member running inside the rails.
[S

I should add that the wheelbase for this chassis is 126". A tad long so I can afford to loose some of the length (10" or so ) in the modification.
Thanks in advance.:cool:

38784db879815aa4e.jpg

38784db879978213f.jpg

I guess that is normal to you but that cowl (Firewall) looks funny to me. I guess I'm use to looking at American iron. Cool project. Keep the pics coming.

For your frame;
A. Probably the easier route, though it wont look as elegant as the stock shape.
B. I think stacking it looks crappy, like a short cut (my opinion only)
C. More work but done right, can have the best appearance. Check out CORPO's pickup build for some pointers. You should be boxing the rails at the point where it gets kicked up anyways - I'd do it this way (again, my opinion)

Here's what I got done today. I ran out of time so I'll get the back sections done tomorrow. A couple of pie cuts and some load straps and hey.
Suitably "Rat" I feel.:D
38784db9bb4de1488.jpg

38784db9bb5ce6d53.jpg

38784db9bba338b9e.jpg

Cheers guys,
The back panel is on the back burner atm. I've found a few horrors with the body so I've been holding off and getting other stuff done till I could get someone with a bit more experience to look at it. The problem is everyone I know who's done this before is busy and being a noob I kinda struggling.
This is the roof section
Ohheck.jpg

I'm not sure even where to start [S hehe.
At this point I doubt I'll be able to get the beltline to line up without chopping the back panel. I'll certainly try though. Once I get the roof done and stitched back on I'll be able to tell.[P

Last edited:
Family stuff meant I had to finish early but I got this far today. Just need 1 more cut to level things up. I got roughly 17" of kick up now and this is about ride height. The next dilemma is how to locate the rear axle now the chassis is so low.[S:D
dropped4.jpg

dropped1.jpg

Latest posts

Back