37 buick special build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
went awhile without taking pics, but I put in a tilt column and dolphin gauges

133.jpg

made PS lines and put in a 605 PS box. The 605 is shorter up front than the regular 800 series box which made using PS possible. Would of had to go manual if it werent for the shorter box, just no room up front.

139.jpg

Also installed a dual master power brake system, aluminum radiator, and electric fan. There was a lot of fab work done up front to make the nose bolt to the S10 chassis and fit, but I was too busy cutting up stuff to take pics.

135.jpg

steering shaft made from a few late model shafts, ujoint, and a support bearing, works slick and cheap.

143.jpg

nice job! makes me think on the 40 chevy coupe that is down the street......Hummm.....[S

Thanks!
Saw your signature, very cool, I am into the same stuff as far as drivetrain swaps. I have a 65 olds 442 that I put an LT1 T56 into and will be doing a 70 nova LT1 T56 not long after the buick is done. Classic styling with modern power and gas milage is the way to go!

I have a buddy that has 3 B bodies with LT1's in them. We are always swapping stuff in and out. Fun!

More pics, getting caught up to present day quick.

Overflow tank made from a section of drive shaft

141.jpg

9C1 caprice trans cooler

160.jpg

original front seat put back in, have to narrow the rear seat to fit the new tubs. Front seat is like an old couch, needs to be firmed up in the future! Horn is wired up to the old cruise control push button on the signal stalk.

152.jpg

Last edited:
headlight build..all I had were headlight shells and I wanted to go with sealed beams, eventually will swap to H4 halogens. Made some rings to weld into the fronts of the housings

145.jpg

Installed headlight adjusters for a 70s GM car and mounted the headlights

157.jpg

trim installed. Still need to make a filler ring to hide the hardware better but this is fine for now.

158.jpg

grille install and hood back on

162.jpg

starting to look like a car! This thread is now up to date, will be installing the side trim, making running board mounts, and misc boring items like hooking up the ebrake and wiring the converter lockup. Glass is on order and should be here in a week or so.

164.jpg

Time to put the running boards back on, cut down and modified the original brackets to work with the S10 frame

167.jpg

168.jpg

Running boards back on for the first time in a year, getting close to done!

169.jpg

More updates..

Installed all the side stainless trim pieces. Weather has been horrible so no outside pics for awhile. Also made a bonehead move and messed up my carb, so will not be running again until next week when parts get here.

170.jpg

Installed a new gas pedal, genuine cal custom :)

173.jpg

Also did some non photogenic work, got the ebrake system working and put a speedometer cable in. Also started working on the wiper system, going to try and get the original vacuum wipers working before I have to spend the cash for an electric conversion..or make my own from whatever I have laying around. Also have to fill that hole I just made removing the original dimmer switch on the floor.

More work done, and car is done enough to hit the road, still need to get the back seat in and replace the side glass, but I left the old side glass in for the moment. New windshield, back glass, and rear flipper glass is in. Put in a rebuilt vacuum wiper motor and the wipers work great! They will go much faster than I expected. Also installed tail pipes and cut them into the rear valence.

Nose shot

182.jpg

back shot with tail pipes

184.jpg

final shot for now! Time to get it on the road and test drive it..first I have to mow the lawn :D

183.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I will take my camera with me and try to get some pics around normal cars..but somehow I doubt anyone will park next to me! Just put insurance on it and will be putting it on the road next week, need to test drive it to check the front end alignment. Yard drove it today and it does donuts nicely!

I like the way you got the sheet metal you needed.I thought I was only one who saved car hoods,roofs,washing machine cases,etc,etc for sheet metal.Glad someone else is doing it.Nice car.Wish I could put mine on S10 chassis.However my 27 ford will not fit one.Nice car.I like it.[dr

very nice indeed! enjoy thanks for sharing the build with us

Damn >> Thats FAST,, a complete driver complete with wipers in only 38 posts,, I'm lucky if I could get one done in 38 months, :(
Nice job,, I like those big ole sedans.. especally the GM models,, maybe because My dad was a Chev Olds dealer when I was a Kid, and that was MANY Moons ago,,,

Latest posts

Back