'40 ford truck-"the rat tire burner"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my hot rod buddy, flathead Eric, came over and put my ideas into reality.He did all the "figuring". Got her tacked together , next square her up and weld her together. She's going to be raked forward like in the 60's....

Flathead Eric came by today to help mock up the model a spring brackets and the 4 link bars. We made some brackets for the 4 link from 1/2 " steel. Measure,figure, measure,figure, measure.......CUT, tac........were happy with it. Now the pan hard bar, it won't work with a straight bar, so I opted to go with a Watts link setup...it's in the mail...

Stock Model A rear spring mounts are 49 1/2" apart. The spring is spread with a tool (and great force) to attach with stock Model A shackles. Looks like your mounts are much closer that that.

Here's a piece of pipe and a threaded rod being used. Be very careful as there is a lot of stored energy in a spread spring.

The spring mounts are normally 49 1/2" apart on a Model A. If you have a Speedway spring might be a different width. The shackles take up about 4" total. So the spring is spread around 45". Project is looking very good.

The spring mounts are normally 49 1/2" apart on a Model A. If you have a Speedway spring might be a different width. The shackles take up about 4" total. So the spring is spread around 45". Project is looking very good.
thanks bob w for the valuable information and pos. feedback........

made some changes.... the early bronco 9" rear end is not long enough for a stock model a buggy spring. You need 49 1/2". The 4 bar set up I was using were not the best way to go. The bar length was too short for my application. If I hit a big enough bump the drive shaft would be bind.
I had a 1965 fairlane 500 I parted out, so I am using the ford 8'',which is wide enough for the buggy spring. I bought pete & jakes parallel bars 27" long. I also bought a limited slip differential unit for the 8".
Got the inline 6,300 bolted in the other day........

Latest posts

Back