49 dodge pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratchet041

this is a 1949 dodge pickup im building here are some pics of my progress. it has a 1979 camaro sub frame with 1985 camaro rear end. the motor will be a 350 chevy small block with a th350 trans. tunnel ram with 2 600 holleys and 250 hp nitrous.

Attachments

• 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 49a.jpg
    49a.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 133
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 122
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 110
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 139
cool

cool, check out mine, the info there is very helpful, you will run into a few surprises on this build.

good to see some one else saving one more, and l agree, keep it the way it looks..

Later:cool:

I not sure I'm gonna be able to leave the paint in order to fix the drivers door I'm may have to make a new door skin bet we will see what haPpens I'm glad you guys like it hope here soon to get back on it it stalled for huntin season needed the meat for the freezer

does any one have a 50 or 51 grill dont need fenders just the complete grill and the head light crome trim rings. i like the 50 51 grill better than the 49 any help would be appreciated thanks wayne.

I not sure I'm gonna be able to leave the paint in order to fix the drivers door I'm may have to make a new door skin bet we will see what haPpens I'm glad you guys like it hope here soon to get back on it it stalled for huntin season needed the meat for the freezer

How bad is the door?

On both my doors I just had to replace about 4" at the bottom of the face and the complete underside of each door wrapping up to the front and rear.

The rest I was able to beat straight.

If you can get away with that you should be able to leave all the signwriting intact?

The door when closed is tight At the top but is 2 to 2 1/2 inches out at the bottom. It got twisted pulling the truck out of the woods door came open and hit a tree. It twisted the door pretty good I'm gonna remove the door skin. Tack weld the top of the door to a big metal bench heat the door up and twist it back. Then make a new skin out of galvanized steel.

got my gauges

Just got my gauges auto meter phantom gauges volt, oil pressure, water temp, fuel, pyrometer, nitrous and 5 inch 200 mph speedometer. Tach is a sport comp 5 inch 10k rpm with a shift light. Front of the dash will be polished aluminum need to get a fuel pressure gauge and a vacume gauges for the dash yet.

Also just about to finish up the motor 350 sbc bored and stroked to 383. wieand tunnel ram with 2 600 holleys and 200 hp nitrous under each carb. It had 125 nitous jets before but I want this thing to fly. the trans Is ready to go in with a 3800 hundred stall converter I will try to post some pics soon.

The door when closed is tight At the top but is 2 to 2 1/2 inches out at the bottom. It got twisted pulling the truck out of the woods door came open and hit a tree. It twisted the door pretty good I'm gonna remove the door skin. Tack weld the top of the door to a big metal bench heat the door up and twist it back. Then make a new skin out of galvanized steel.

Galvanized? I would just do regular 16 gauge for that skin. Galvanized puts out a noxious odor when welded! Not trying to sound like a jerk but I'm curious why you want to go with galvanized metal.

Gonna use galvanized becouse I got 6. 4x8 sheets 16 guage in a trade I did. Figured since I got might as well use it also goin to use it to replace the floor should ever rust out that way.

I did not think you sounded like a jerk. I have welded galvanized in the past just have to be careful I just weld it outside with a breeze blowing the fumes away from me and wear a resperator like the one I use when I paint.

parts

I just sent you a pm in regards to a guy I know who has a good solid one like yours he scrapping. it's an old farm dump jump on it before it goes to the scrapper

Zinc Oxide from welding galvanized isn't poisonous but it can cause inflammation and an immune response in the lungs.
As with any allergy you are either effected or not and it develops with time and the effects become more pronounced every time you are exposed to the irritant.
Effected people can sometimes lose an allergy and others uneffected can develop one but rarely.

Welding on Galvanized releases gaseous Zinc Oxide and having a reaction to it is called "Metal Fume Fever" the effect can be similar to smoking something you are allergic to.
Metal Fume Fever is not restricted to just Zinc Oxide, anyone exposed to metal fumes can develop it.
People who work in foundries and welding shops usually go to work feeling fine on Monday and by Friday feel like they have the flu. Over the next 2 days without exposure the symptoms subside and Monday the cycle begins again. I have experienced this myself welding on ordinary steel. My friend was laid up in the hospital on breathing assist because he kept welding on galvanized even though it bothered him. He thought he could tough it out. Zinc didn't build up in his system, his system developed the antibodies and such that cause the allergic reaction that made it hard to breath when he was exposed to the Zinc.
Some people had the same effect from being exposed to Zinc Oxide dust in babypowder.
I'm pretty angry that I can't get Desitin unscented cornstarch with Zinc Oxide powder...it was the only thing kept me from getting galded working in the summer heat and Gold Bond had menthol in it...it's like putting hot sauce in your eye or doing your business after eating a bunch of habanero's...not something I want to sprinkle in my britches on a hot sweaty day

got the dash started polished diamond plate aluminum. cant do much right now money is tight till after xmas. still have to clean up and paint the inside before i mount the dash panel speedo and tach.

Attachments

• dash 1.jpg
    dash 1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 39
  • dash 2.jpg
    dash 2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back