50/58 Willys Wagon RAT

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm header a different direction on the steering. With the vega box, the motor/tranny combo, and the planar supension, it's just not working out.
New plan is to use the factory Willys 4wd box and transverse leaf Ford drop axle. Solves a bunch of issues, and a crap load of money.

100_2132.jpg

100_2131.jpg

100_2130-1.jpg

100_2129-1.jpg

Going Transverse leaf, Ford style. Ordered the bulk of my parts today.
It's a matter of spending 2 grand on getting the Planar right, maybe, or a grand at Speedway and knowing it's all new and right.
So don't beat me up too bad for this decision:D

got part of my exhaust and fuel tank.
IMG_0447.jpg

The exhaust

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

The tank. A13.5 gallon poly speedway tank.

Got my Willys Steering wheel.
IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Really pretty good, just hard to cough up $50, but needed it.

And the majority of my transverse front end came in, Pretty excited about that.
IMG_0461.jpg

Notice the disk brake Ford 8.8 in the background.
IMG_0462.jpg

Talked the guy down to $60, but when I got out there, found out he was an english teacher that's trying to keep a faultering auto shop program a float. Own time and money, God Bless him, so I kicked him an extra $20. Need more teachers like this.

OK Now I'm knuckle deep in the front end change over. Got the parts, so here goes.
Who knew that finding a piece of 3" .120 wall tube would be the hardest part of this whole deal.
IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

I've stretched the front forward a total of 24".
IMG_0474.jpg

Think I'm gonnav like it, I think?

Last edited:
Very cool stuff,I think that was a good decision..I've always wanted to build one of the flat fendered Jeeps with the front axle about where you have put yours..

Front axle is in, looks cool, I think anyway.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

Got the 8.8 in too. Little wider, about 5", but thats good, now these wheels and tires can go under my Rambler gasser and the chrome wheels can go on this.

IMG_0495.jpg

Should I radius the rear fender wells?
IMG_0497.jpg

Think I've about got the stance I want. Might even put 2" lowering blocks in the rear.

IMG_0499.jpg

Because the 8.8 is so wide, and I want to keep the big wheels and tires, and keep it kind of legal, I'm gonna do this.

IMG_0535.jpg

These are a set of Bushwacker rear fender flares off a Jeep Wrangler.

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Just picked up 2 doors, complete with handles, regulators, latches and useable glass for $80. Picking up a rear hatch with good glass in the next couple days for $40. Moving along, slowly but surely.

Really liking the build. I do have one suggestion. instead of using the plastic fender flares, have you thought about using a metal fender. I know someplaces like Tractor Supply sell a sqared off trailer fender that is real close to the willy's fenders. you could buy one, split it and put on half on each side and get the purposed served and it looks like it belongs. Just a thought!

Good luck to you and keep us updated!

you might want to move the steering box to the top of the frame.

pitman arm looks awfully close to the ground, and it would make the drag link more parallel to the frame.

other wise I dig the look.

Wasn't planning on wipers or a heater, but found a simple, cheap way to ad wipers, so here goes.
All these wiper parts came off of eBay and to this point, I'm into it for under $50. This wiper setup all came of of MG's
It's a cable push/pull system
This is the motor drive.

100_2150_zps92262e93.jpg

And this is what the wheel box looks like

100_2152_zpsfe93f3c2.jpg

Gonna mount the motor on the passenger side, then it's a matter of mounting the wheel boxes where needed, then cutting some brake lines to bridge the gap.

The only thing I can't quite figure out is the wiring side, so here's a crappy picture, sorry, any ideas?

100_2154_zps5cd411d8.jpg

First pic shows the 3 wires, and the last pic, hopefully, shows the 5 pin.

Latest posts

Back