50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great build

Wow! Great build! It was kind of anti-climatic to read 37 pages and not see a finished truck though :eek:
Now I can hardly wait for you to finish it!

Yea, life sometimes gets busy... I am hoping to have the frame wrapped up in the next couple weeks, at least the main rails and some of the mounts...
One of the big issues is that this is my first frame build, so I tend to spend more time with the planning than the actual build time because I don't want to have to re-do anything if possible...

Engine cross member pretty much wrapped up

After a couple mis-cuts, I salvaged the crossmember end pieces and made it slightly taller than what I originally wanted, and all in all it came out ok, and I think I might even have room to pull the oil pan if the need ever arises... Whats weird is that the motor mounts from the factory are not symmetrical..[S

Just have to drill some holes, and either put in some tubes, or decide how to fasten the current flag nuts inside the x-member... thinking of welding in tubes so I can use through bolts...

Feeling like I am making progress again, even it if is slow...[;)

Anyhow, on to the pics.

Attachments

• DSC04676.jpg
    DSC04676.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC04677.jpg
    DSC04677.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC04678.jpg
    DSC04678.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC04675.jpg
    DSC04675.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC04679.jpg
    DSC04679.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC04680.jpg
    DSC04680.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC04681.jpg
    DSC04681.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 54
you look to be well on your way with getting the motor in. I must say, I am jealous of the motor you are running. Coolness factor is through the roof on this just because of that not to mention anything else!

Thanks fellas! I hope to have more pics soon, tomorrow planning on cutting up some more steel, and hopefully starting on tacking the frame together this week, and getting it welded enough to bring home and really start on verifying everything will work as designed...

are the plates on the crossmember the frame side ones? meaning on the motor there is a piece with a rubber mount on it? if that is the case why not just weld the plate to the crossmember. then the mount just drops in with the one bolt (had alot of 4.6L / 5.4L fords out)[;)

are the plates on the crossmember the frame side ones? meaning on the motor there is a piece with a rubber mount on it? if that is the case why not just weld the plate to the crossmember. then the mount just drops in with the one bolt (had alot of 4.6L / 5.4L fords out)[;)

Yes, the are the frame side ones.

I wanted to use the stock motor plates, if you look at the side shot, there is only a couple inches to run the crossmember and have it clear both the motor mount that is bolted on the block as well as the A/C pump, etc... So the stock motor plates that would have bolted to the stock crossmember are getting bolted to my custom crossmember. Yes I could weld them in, but they were bolted in stock, and I figure if I have any issues I can unbolt them and move them accordingly..

The idea is that the motor drops right in like stock, however these motor mounts have two bolts per side rather than just one as you speak of?

thinking about a custom plate

Was hoping that GotFins was available here in MI, but its not...

So I thought I would go this route: (Propane Rat)

Attachments

• myPlate-new.gif
    myPlate-new.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 5
I'll keep thinking...

Today's update: finished welding the engine crossmember, need to tweak the mounting holes slightly for the bolt on motor mounts, as somehow they are a little too close together..... always something...

Anyhow, Also cut all the remaining pieces for the main frame rails today, need to do a little more cutting/fitment, and hopefully sometime this week start on getting it assembled to the point that I can bring it home and test fit everything, then back to the shop to finish weld it all.

more sketches, then on to the garage

As the title says a few final sketches of the frame concept, and now I'm heading to the garage to get some real work done...
:D

Attachments

• Frame Design Final 1.jpg
    Frame Design Final 1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 41
Didn't get a whole lot done today, we ended up going to Lake Huron for a bit, and dinner. I ran out of cut off wheels for the 4" grinder... ugh. I did find an adapter to use cut off wheels on 4" grinders setup for the offset wheel, $3 at the depot along with the cut off wheels.

Did get some of the frame pieces cut out that I needed. More on that tomorrow.

Also cleaned up the bumper caps for the exhaust, and got some rust converter on them...
Probably do the bumpers tomorrow and bolt them on, as I picked up the carriage bolts for the caps.

Right now, just doin a little here and there as I have time...

Progress is progress. making some

Mocked up what the frame will look like, and packed it all in the car to take to the welding table at work tomorrow. Now the real frame work begins... One area will be tacked only where I can adjust the overall length if necessary, but I'll be double checking all my measurements this week to make sure I have all the correct numbers.

I will have fish plates on all the areas where the frame steps up and down, and in and out. and I plan on 45 cuts to clean up the areas where it steps in and out.

The front and rear axle spring mounts and such will not be welded on til the frame is back home.

Also cleaned up the back side of the poncho bumpers, and put some rust converter on them, not for looks, just longevity.

On to the pics.

Attachments

• DSC04688.jpg
    DSC04688.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC04689.jpg
    DSC04689.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC04690.jpg
    DSC04690.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC04691.jpg
    DSC04691.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC04692.jpg
    DSC04692.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC04693.jpg
    DSC04693.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC04694.jpg
    DSC04694.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC04695.jpg
    DSC04695.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 51
Frame looks cool......

the whole thing seems to be coming together nicely.....[cl I've gotta get off my butt and do something..... between you and the others moving along on their builds I feel like a slacker.... nice work DR...

Thanks sarge!

Pics of getting the frame clamped down and tacked together... just the start, but feeling pretty good about it. going to just take measurements after work tomorrow to verify the body dimensions. etc...

424329_3883596882219_767171074_n.jpg

553778_3883594802167_1034517952_n.jpg

431008_3883593482134_627468936_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back